Author Topic: Reid: Cruz nomination would destroy GOP  (Read 1140 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Reid: Cruz nomination would destroy GOP
« on: October 31, 2013, 01:55:03 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/homenews/188790-if-cruz-were-the-republican-presidential-nominee-reid-says

October 31, 2013, 06:46 am
Reid: Cruz nomination would destroy GOP

By Rebecca Shabad

Sen. Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) says if Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) won the Republican nomination for president, it would destroy the GOP.

In an interview on MSNBC’s “The Rachel Maddow Show” Wednesday night, Reid discussed fallout from the 16-day government shutdown, which ended two weeks ago. He said he’s sure the debacle will help Cruz raise more money. 

“If I didn`t care so much about our country, I would hope he will get the Republican nomination for president, because that would be the end of the Republican Party,” Reid said.

“Ted Cruz, he`s someone else.”

Cruz, a freshman Tea Party member, is credited with leading lawmakers on the charge to defund ObamaCare, and inspiring House GOP members to only fund the government as long as they back Cruz’s campaign. Their standoff with Democrats resulted in the shutdown Oct. 1. 

Lawmakers appointed to conference committees from both parties and both congressional chambers are now tasked with negotiating a longer-term deal on the budget and debt ceiling. Conferees have until Jan. 15 to compromise on funding the government, and Feb. 7 to do the same on the debt limit. 

“The Republican Party is staggering right now,” Reid said when asked if lawmakers will wind up in the same gridlock next year. “I don`t know who they can expect to have a vote for them. I don`t see it.”

He added, “They`re not going to do it again is what I`m saying.”

Republicans emerged from the shutdown facing polls showing they suffered the most. A new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll released Wednesday evening said the GOP's favorability rating has dropped to 22 percent, an all-time record low.

These polls may weight heavily on Sen. Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.), who's running in a tight race for reelection in 2014. Until now, he's vowed not to shut down the government again.

Cruz, on the other hand, has recently said he’s not ruling it out.

Cruz is a likely candidate for the Republican presidential race in 2016. He has already visited Iowa, the state that kicks off primary season, and will soon stop in South Carolina, another early voting state.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Reid: Cruz nomination would destroy GOP
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 02:09:51 pm »
LOL! Dingy Harry worrying about the future of the GOP????

Now that there is PHUNNY i don't care WHO you are!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 02:14:02 pm »
I really don't have an opinion of Cruz as a nominee. But if Harry Reid is advising against it, then there must be value for America in a Cruz nomination.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 06:53:50 pm »
I really don't have an opinion of Cruz as a nominee. But if Harry Reid is advising against it, then there must be value for America in a Cruz nomination.
Exactly. When a leftist gives you advice, do the opposite.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline raml

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 07:12:19 pm »
Well then if Reid is saying that we know Cruz would be an excellent choice. I know that democrats would rather have Christie because Christie hasn't a chance in hell of winning.

Offline flowers

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 07:47:56 pm »
He might be right....Gutless Old Party. If it takes out RINO's it is a great thing! We all know who is a threat to the left, they tell us all the time by attacking them.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 08:21:44 pm »
LOL! Dingy Harry worrying about the future of the GOP????

Now that there is PHUNNY i don't care WHO you are!

Liberals will always tell you which people most threaten them by means of who they choose to ridicule, but also by synthetic sympathy: the act of pretending to care for others who might be influenced to oppose them. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 08:24:41 pm »
Liberals will always tell you which people most threaten them by means of who they choose to ridicule, but also by synthetic sympathy: the act of pretending to care for others who might be influenced to oppose them.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 09:49:28 am »
These polls may weight heavily on Sen. Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.), who's running in a tight race for reelection in 2014. Until now, he's vowed not to shut down the government again.

There is no reason for any Republican to promise not to shutdown the government again.  It just feeds another story about something best dropped in public.  Any question can be deflected by saying "we hope a shutdown won't be necessary.  Their is plenty of time for us to negotiate and agree on a bill."