Author Topic: Meet The Guy Who Drove Across The U.S. In A Record 28 Hours 50 Minutes  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Meet The Guy Who Drove Across The U.S. In A Record 28 Hours 50 Minutes
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 08:22:23 PM »
The first daylight picture through the bug-spattered windshield is just entering Arizona, the second sunset picture is passing near the turn off to where I live and heading this direction at sunset is heading directly into the setting sun and very blinding... not surprised a truck almost cut them off in this area.

Offline mountaineer

• Paranoid Hillbilly
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 01:34:29 PM »
Amazing, considering all the orange barrel zones in some states, especially Ohio.
β€œHell hath no fury like a vested interest masquerading as a moral principle.” - Ryan T Anderson

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 10:11:31 PM »
My Grandparents who did it in a Model A convertable loaded with everything they could take with them including their dog who had to ride the whole way on the running board because there was no room left in the car would call this guy a woos. This guy would have reached his breaking point before the first thousand miles.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 11:31:24 PM »
My Grandparents who did it in a Model A convertable loaded with everything they could take with them including their dog who had to ride the whole way on the running board because there was no room left in the car would call this guy a woos. This guy would have reached his breaking point before the first thousand miles.

He would have reached his breaking point within the first several hundred miles - no "active suspension" and no GPS to tell him where he was or where to turn next.

As for me:  if you drove it with a team, including someone else to do some driving, then "you" didn't set the record, or make the run, the team did.  I once drove cross country in 2-1/2 days, from Oregon to Northern VA, but I didn't do more than about 5 or 10 over the speed limit, I didn't have extra "cheat" fuel tanks in the car, and I had to catch some zzz-s by stopping the car at a rest stop (I stayed at a motel the second night because I really, really needed a shower).

One point about the layout of his extra fuel tanks:  bad.  If the drawing above is accurate, then the center of mass of those tanks was located behind the rear axle.  That would cause the car to tip back and significantly reduce the weight on the front wheels, which would have very negative effects on both the braking and the steering.  I know because I once hauled 400 pounds in the trunk of my Grand Marquis (8 40-pound bags of topsoil, some gravel, and a bunch of lumber); the steering made me feel very queasy and I took a very convoluted route home so I could stick to side streets where I could drive slowly.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf