Author Topic: Breaking News: School Bus has plunged off a Bridge in Kansas  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Breaking News: School Bus has plunged off a Bridge in Kansas
« on: October 31, 2013, 09:46:40 pm »
Just now breaking on FOX:

Butler County, KS. Children in the water, bus driver reportedly trapped, swift water rescue team on the way.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Breaking News: School Bus has plunged off a Bridge in Kansas
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 10:08:17 pm »
Oh my. Anything more?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 11:13:33 pm »
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/31/21267655-school-bus-plunges-off-kansas-bridge-driver-reported-trapped?lite=

School bus plunges off Kansas bridge — driver reported trapped
By M. Alex Johnson, Staff Writer, NBC News

A water rescue was under way Thursday to save the injured driver of a school bus that ran off a bridge near Wichita, Kan., authorities told NBC News.

The bus, which was carrying 10 children, on Thursday, flew into a creek between Douglass and Aurora in Butler County, west of Wichita, about 4 p.m. (5 p.m. ET), the Butler County sheriff's office said.

None of the children, who crawled out the windows and were rescued from the top of the bus, was injured. But the driver, described as a man in his 60s, was still in the water, sheriff's officials said.

He was suffering from hypothermia and back pain, emergency officials told NBC station KSN of Wichita, and a medical helicopter was on standby.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline happyg

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 11:31:15 pm »
The poor kids! That had to scare the daylights out of them.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 03:27:43 am »
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/31/21267655-school-bus-plunges-off-kansas-bridge-driver-rescued-from-water?lite=

School bus plunges off Kansas bridge — driver rescued from water

The school bus that went off the road into a creek Thursday near Douglass, Kan.

The driver of a school bus that ran off a bridge was rescued safely Thursday from a swiftly moving creek near Wichita, Kan., authorities said.

The bus, which was carrying nine children from the Douglass Unified School District, plunged into a creek between Douglass and Aurora in Butler County, west of Wichita, at 4:01 p.m. (5:01 p.m. ET), Butler County Sheriff Kelly Herzet told NBC News.

None of the children, who crawled out and were rescued from the top of the bus, was injured, he said.

Herzet told NBC station KSN of Wichita that the oldest children, who are 13, helped the younger ones through the hatch. Rescuers used a line to help them to safety, he said.
Advertise | AdChoices

The driver, described as a man in his 60s, was trapped for more than an hour before a swift-water rescue team managed to pull him to safety. He was being treated for hypothermia at Wesley Medical Center in wichita.

"The bus flipped over, and we [were] in the water," Logan Parker, a 12-year-old sixth-grader who was on the bus, told KSN.

"We climbed out and got on top of the bus," Logan said. "We were up there two hours and a half."

With other children yelling and crying, "I thought I was going to die," he said. "I would never ever see my grandma again, and I was scared."

The cause of the accident was unclear, but heavy rain fell in the area Thursday morning and "the water was running over the road," Herzet said.

Offline happyg

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 03:36:49 am »
They were all lucky. A few years ago, there was a local school bus accident, but no one knew which bus. I prayed it wasn't any of my grandchildren. I can only imagine the terror the parents were going through.

rangerrebew

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 01:11:46 pm »
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/31/21267655-school-bus-plunges-off-kansas-bridge-driver-rescued-from-water?lite=

School bus plunges off Kansas bridge — driver rescued from water

The school bus that went off the road into a creek Thursday near Douglass, Kan.

The driver of a school bus that ran off a bridge was rescued safely Thursday from a swiftly moving creek near Wichita, Kan., authorities said.

The bus, which was carrying nine children from the Douglass Unified School District, plunged into a creek between Douglass and Aurora in Butler County, west of Wichita, at 4:01 p.m. (5:01 p.m. ET), Butler County Sheriff Kelly Herzet told NBC News.

None of the children, who crawled out and were rescued from the top of the bus, was injured, he said.

Herzet told NBC station KSN of Wichita that the oldest children, who are 13, helped the younger ones through the hatch. Rescuers used a line to help them to safety, he said.
Advertise | AdChoices

The driver, described as a man in his 60s, was trapped for more than an hour before a swift-water rescue team managed to pull him to safety. He was being treated for hypothermia at Wesley Medical Center in wichita.

"The bus flipped over, and we [were] in the water," Logan Parker, a 12-year-old sixth-grader who was on the bus, told KSN.

"We climbed out and got on top of the bus," Logan said. "We were up there two hours and a half."

With other children yelling and crying, "I thought I was going to die," he said. "I would never ever see my grandma again, and I was scared."

The cause of the accident was unclear, but heavy rain fell in the area Thursday morning and "the water was running over the road," Herzet said.

Its Simon Birch in real time. :0001:

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 03:30:09 pm »

Every year down here they warn people about driving through high water, every year someone drowns.  This bunch obviously had guardian angels.