Author Topic: Study: Lefties More Likely To Suffer Schizophrenia  (Read 1888 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Study: Lefties More Likely To Suffer Schizophrenia
« on: October 31, 2013, 05:41:04 pm »
http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2013/10/31/study-lefties-more-likely-to-suffer-schizophrenia/

Study: Lefties More Likely To Suffer Schizophrenia
October 31, 2013 7:15 AM

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (CBS Atlanta) - People suffering from mental disorders such as schizophrenia appear to have a higher rate of left-handedness than the general population, according to a new study.

About 10 percent of people are left-handed. But the results of this study found that 40 percent of people suffering from psychotic disorders were left-handed.

The authors admit the survey size was small, only 107 people who were being treated for psychological problems.

But the numbers are still significant, say the researchers.

“Our results show a strikingly higher prevalence of left-handedness among patients presenting with psychotic disorders such as schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder, compared to patients presenting for mood symptoms such as depression or bipolar disorder,” wrote the researcers.

While preferring the left, or sinister side, or right hand is not strictly genetic, it is related to how the brain develops.

Right-handers tend to have cognitive function develop initially on the left side of the brain. This is not always the case for southpaws.

Scientists say there is still much about the differences between righties and lefties they do not understand.

The study, ‘Left-Handedness Among a Community Sample of Psychiatric Outpatients Suffering From Mood and Psychotic Disorders,’ is published in the journal SAGE Open.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: Study: Lefties More Likely To Suffer Schizophrenia
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 06:15:55 pm »
Since our friend Liberal-Spy seems to have left the building, and we have no other Liberal voice to state their opinion on this story, let me be the stand-in Liberal.

There is absolutely no truth in this very true story that lefties are more likely to be schizophrenic -    The voices I hear in my head say so.   Oh look a butterfly!   SPIDERS! GET THEM OFF ME!  Ahhhhhh !    Freddy is a devil. Ohhhh pretty butterfly, come back.   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline LambChop

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 07:07:51 pm »
anybody else have a problem finding WHO did this study?  And is a sampling of 107 people really enough to make such a proclamation?
kinda sounds like crap science to me.  But what do I know, I'm a lefty.  Therefore I must be nuts.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 07:16:16 pm »
107 is a very small sample size. My other personality disagrees and wants to go shopping. We southpaws have enough problems in a world made for righties already.

I would be cautious with this source. While SAGE Open claims to be peer reviewed - it also charges a fee to authors. That sets my alarm bells off. The authors are listed as
    Jadon R. Webb,
    Mary I. Schroeder,
    Christopher Chee,
    Deanna Dial,
    Rebecca Hana,
    Hussam Jefee,
    Jacob Mays,
    and Patrick Molitor

Article is here: http://sgo.sagepub.com/content/3/4/2158244013503166.full
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 07:18:43 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 07:27:11 pm »
Not going to dismiss it out of hand though. It does match some personal observations.

There are a disproportionate number of southpaws in the arts fields. Painters, writers, actors, comedians - it is way more than 10% of the total.

In the AA/NA meetings I go to, it's roughly half the people there that are left handed.

SPQR

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 07:28:58 pm »
107 is a very small sample size. My other personality disagrees and wants to go shopping. We southpaws have enough problems in a world made for righties already.

I would be cautious with this source. While SAGE Open claims to be peer reviewed - it also charges a fee to authors. That sets my alarm bells off. The authors are listed as
    Jadon R. Webb,
    Mary I. Schroeder,
    Christopher Chee,
    Deanna Dial,
    Rebecca Hana,
    Hussam Jefee,
    Jacob Mays,
    and Patrick Molitor

Article is here: http://sgo.sagepub.com/content/3/4/2158244013503166.full

You can probably get more information using Deep Web. Deep Web does not charge but you have to go to a library or university to access it. I do not have to charge for it since I am in the university( or was) in the system.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 07:31:57 pm by SPQR »

SPQR

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 07:36:05 pm »
You can probably get more information using Deep Web. Deep Web does not charge but you have to go to a library or university to access it. I do not have to charge for it since I am in the university( or was) in the system.

It should be in the  Mednar/Deep Web system. Mednar specializes in medical research.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 07:37:57 pm by SPQR »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 07:53:25 pm »
Did a quick check of some of the more easily traced names and they seem legit.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 07:54:21 pm »
It should be in the  Mednar/Deep Web system. Mednar specializes in medical research.

:beer:

Thanks! Other resources are always handy for checking up on things and people!

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 08:05:21 pm »
Since our friend Liberal-Spy seems to have left the building, and we have no other Liberal voice to state their opinion on this story, let me be the stand-in Liberal.

There is absolutely no truth in this very true story that lefties are more likely to be schizophrenic -    The voices I hear in my head say so.   Oh look a butterfly!   SPIDERS! GET THEM OFF ME!  Ahhhhhh !    Freddy is a devil. Ohhhh pretty butterfly, come back.

Obama is left-handed. And so is John McCain. Just sayin'...
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline raml

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 09:15:55 pm »
I have identical twins that are mirror twins. One is left handed the other right handed. The left handed can use either hand and uses the right on most day to day things such as eating and writing. He taught himself to do that when he started school said it was just easier to do that. When he plays sports he uses his left most of the time in throwing or hitting although he can and has used both too. So does that mean he is a mess mentally he is 41 and certainly seems ok he has common sense and a high IQ and is a conservative so a liberal I am sure would think he was mentally unbalanced. He would just laugh at this kind of study he is too down to earth to believe this crap. He holds down a full time job which supports his family of 6 his wife is a stay at home mother and they own their 5 bedroom home and are like many of the normal families around this country. He believes in God, family and country and is a veteran. I do believe he would be considered a nut in Obama's world.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 09:41:52 pm »
He holds down a full time job which supports his family of 6 his wife is a stay at home mother and they own their 5 bedroom home and are like many of the normal families around this country. He believes in God, family and country and is a veteran. I do believe he would be considered a nut in Obama's world.

Wot? No freebies or support from the government? Actually supporting the children he has produced? Having the guts to look out for his country by sticking his a** on the line?

:beer: You and your wife did a damned fine job there.   :laugh:

SPQR

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 12:04:00 am »
:beer:

Thanks! Other resources are always handy for checking up on things and people!

The Deep Web is a great source of information because it has much more information and more accurate information than Wikipedia.Think of Wikipedia as an outside of an onion. There are many more layers to an onion. The bad thing that the public does not have access to it. If you use Wikipedia" as a source of information(such as a term paper), there is a high probability that you get a "F" on your paper. Deep Web contains every paper ever written on a specific subject.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 12:09:07 am by SPQR »

SPQR

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 12:15:02 am »
The Deep Web is a great source of information because it has much more information and more accurate information than Wikipedia.Think of Wikipedia as an outside of an onion. There are many more layers to an onion. The bad thing that the public does not have access to it. If you use Wikipedia" as a source of information(such as a term paper), there is a high probability that you get a "F" on your paper. Deep Web contains every paper ever written on a specific subject.

I would give out my personal code into the Deep Web but it is linked to the University that I am attending and they bar the public from using it. Only students use it. I have been unable to link it to outside posts.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 12:17:32 am by SPQR »

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 12:20:40 am »
Wow!  Hoodathunkit! 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 12:31:01 am »
I would give out my personal code into the Deep Web but it is linked to the University that I am attending and they bar the public from using it. Only students use it. I have been unable to link it to outside posts.

Nope - we'll work something out regarding access. You need to get your degree without any potential fallout.