Author Topic: Obama Won't Attend Gettysburg Address Remembrance  (Read 4269 times)

Offline flowers

Obama Won't Attend Gettysburg Address Remembrance
« on: October 31, 2013, 05:04:19 pm »
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/obama-attend-gettysburg-address-remembrance-20739966

President Barack Obama will not attend next month's event marking the 150th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address in Pennsylvania.

Officials at Gettysburg National Military Park said Wednesday that U.S. Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell will represent the administration the Nov. 19 sesquicentennial.

Jewell and Pulitzer Prize-winning historian James McPherson will share the role of keynote speaker. Other events include a reading of the Gettysburg address by a Lincoln portrayer. Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett also plans to attend the ceremony.

Lincoln delivered the immortal words of the address at a dedication of the Soldiers' National Cemetery on Nov. 19, 1863, more than four months after the Civil War's pivotal battle. More than 3,500 Union soldiers killed in the Battle of Gettysburg are buried there.

I wonder why he won't. Could you all here at the forum enlighten me on your reasons why he won't please?

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: Obama Won't Attend Gettysburg Address Remembrance
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 06:22:51 pm »
Obama is in  bunker mode and obviously afraid he will be booed. From here on in he will pick his venues very carefully.

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 06:49:55 pm »
Because it's not his country anyway?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 07:32:26 pm »
Both great reasons. I was thinking a bit of both anyone else have any ideas why. I just found it strange him turning down a reason to talk in public.

10294  :king:   :chien:

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 07:38:46 pm »
Abraham Lincoln delivered the quintessentially succinct and profound speech at that site.  Obama, the great orator, knows he can not measure up.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Relic

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 07:39:48 pm »
Both great reasons. I was thinking a bit of both anyone else have any ideas why. I just found it strange him turning down a reason to talk in public.

10294  :king:   :chien:

Maybe he doesn't like remembering how many white men died to put an end slavery in America?

Online mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 07:40:19 pm »
Lincoln freed the slaves.
Obama is enslaving the free.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 07:42:41 pm »
Obama is in  bunker mode and obviously afraid he will be booed. From here on in he will pick his venues very carefully.

I think you may be on to something here.

He's a egotist and a child, and won't go where people aren't going to bolster his already enormous ego.

And he knows that patriots will be at Gettysburg.

He HATES patriots.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 07:43:07 pm »

May I quote you on that??   :patriot:

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 07:45:35 pm »
Abraham Lincoln delivered the quintessentially succinct and profound speech at that site.  Obama, the great orator, knows he can not measure up.

The fact is, no one can.

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate, we can not consecrate, we can not hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Abraham Lincoln
19th November 1863
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 07:55:07 pm »
The fact is, no one can.

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate, we can not consecrate, we can not hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Abraham Lincoln
19th November 1863

It's absolutely brilliant.

I still have it committed to memory, and I weep that the resolve at the end of the speech is being destroyed at warp speed by the PUNK who dared compare himself to the GIANT of a man named Abraham Lincoln.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 08:00:17 pm »
The fact is, no one can.

Abraham Lincoln
19th November 1863

Obama could never deliver a speech such as this: first for its brevity, and secondly for its felicitous absence of self-referential pronouns.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 08:00:25 pm »
May I quote you on that??   :patriot:
Certainly!

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 08:15:26 pm »
Look on the bright side here, folks.

Obama's presence at such a hallowed place in American history would simply besmirch everything it stands for.

As President he should have enough class to attend but as a person having so little character it is best he stay away.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

rangerrebew

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 09:15:38 pm »
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/obama-attend-gettysburg-address-remembrance-20739966

I wonder why he won't. Could you all here at the forum enlighten me on your reasons why he won't please?

"All men are created equal"; goes against the Civil Rights movement of today.

"Conceived in Liberty"; liberty is what he is working against.

"New birth of freedom"; see the above.

"This nation under God"; not comment necessary.

"Government of the people, by the people, and for the people"; he obviously finds this repulsive.

The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here; he hates the military and any reference to it.

Lincoln was a cracker. :peeonobama:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 10:45:44 pm »

:thumbsup:

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 12:32:10 am »
I'm kinda surprised since he claims to be the next Lincoln.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 12:32:57 am »
I'm kinda surprised since he claims to be the next Lincoln.

Probably didn't have a way to hide the teleprompter.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 12:33:52 am »
Probably didn't have a way to hide the teleprompter.

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

Offline Carling

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 12:43:07 am »

Same reason he didn't go to Fenway Park last night, even though he was in Boston.  I'm sure Jarrett had the area polled, and that booing would overwhelm any cheering on TV.  He'll stick to college, black, and union crowds until after the mid-terms.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 12:44:59 am »

Obama's presence at such a hallowed place in American history would simply besmirch everything it stands for.

As President he should have enough class to attend but as a person having so little character it is best he stay away.
My thoughts exactly. In fact I'd rather he NOT show up!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2013, 01:03:20 am »
Same reason he didn't go to Fenway Park last night, even though he was in Boston.  I'm sure Jarrett had the area polled, and that booing would overwhelm any cheering on TV.  He'll stick to college, black, and union crowds until after the mid-terms.
Bingo. Even in blue Massachusetts he would have heard the boo birds.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2013, 01:08:39 am »
Bingo. Even in blue Massachusetts he would have heard the boo birds.

If so he is a coward..

Offline flowers

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2013, 05:13:37 pm »

I am glad he isn't showing up. Whenever he goes to Arlington I want to puke. I am sure my father is rolling over in his grave when he does show up there.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2013, 07:23:50 pm »

But it is odd, seeing that he invoked Lincoln frequently...even having the gall to compare himself to him.

...ah, but he compared himself to Reagan too....and wouldn't expect he and Michelle to visit his grave site.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald