Author Topic: Obama Won't Attend Gettysburg Address Remembrance  (Read 4297 times)

rangerrebew

Re: Obama Won't Attend Gettysburg Address Remembrance
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2013, 09:29:24 pm »
It is interesting how no one made a reference to his skin color; everything had to do with other qualities.  Does anyone think a liberal website would have been able to the same?  Congratulations, all blij26!!  Now I'll make reference to his skin color.  It is pathetically ironic that the first black president, who can thank the more than 620,000  who died for the cause of a "new birth of freedom" is in his position because of them,  doesn't show up as a fitting tribute to the sacrifices of so many - white and black - in the Civil War.  The Civil Rights of blacks were championed by republicans, with democrats battling to deny blacks  the rights they had earned, would miss the opportunity to bring the nation together at such a historic even on it's 150 anniversary.  It speaks to a person devoid of,  uncaring of, or angry at the historic perspective of the awful sacrifices of people in the mid 19th century to bring freedom to slaves and make America what it was becoming, until he took office.  This is a total slap in the face of all people who love their country, freedom, and what it has been able to become.  But these same people are the ones who Obama calls "domestic terrorists" and his all consuming hatred is very transparent in his refusal to attend. :LAME:

SPQR

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2013, 12:03:27 am »
I attend military university and we were invited to the Gettysburg remembrance and then to Antietam. What is interesting about Gettysburg is that the South entered Gettysburg from the North and the North entered Gettysburg from the South.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 12:13:05 am by SPQR »

SPQR

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2013, 12:04:58 am »
It is interesting how no one made a reference to his skin color; everything had to do with other qualities.  Does anyone think a liberal website would have been able to the same?  Congratulations, all blij26!!  Now I'll make reference to his skin color.  It is pathetically ironic that the first black president, who can thank the more than 620,000  who died for the cause of a "new birth of freedom" is in his position because of them,  doesn't show up as a fitting tribute to the sacrifices of so many - white and black - in the Civil War.  The Civil Rights of blacks were championed by republicans, with democrats battling to deny blacks  the rights they had earned, would miss the opportunity to bring the nation together at such a historic even on it's 150 anniversary.  It speaks to a person devoid of,  uncaring of, or angry at the historic perspective of the awful sacrifices of people in the mid 19th century to bring freedom to slaves and make America what it was becoming, until he took office.  This is a total slap in the face of all people who love their country, freedom, and what it has been able to become.  But these same people are the ones who Obama calls "domestic terrorists" and his all consuming hatred is very transparent in his refusal to attend. :LAME:

Many historians have increased that number to 700,000 people dead
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 12:11:06 am by SPQR »

Offline Carling

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2013, 12:44:27 am »
If so he is a coward..

Have you seen anything that tells you he isn't a coward?  He has his henchmen contact media members who dare to point out his failures, he baits Tea Party citizens by mocking them, knowing they can't do anything about the taunts ... this can't be the best black guy that the white Dems could control as their President, is it?  Maybe his extreme narcissism doesn't allow him to see that he's a national joke, and even worse, lacks any respect from other world leaders.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

rangerrebew

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2013, 01:19:40 pm »
I attend military university and we were invited to the Gettysburg remembrance and then to Antietam. What is interesting about Gettysburg is that the South entered Gettysburg from the North and the North entered Gettysburg from the South.

If you have been to Antietam, you weren't that far from Gettysburg.  Gettysburg is probably the best marked of the Civil War battlefields.  I attended a class at Gettysburg College about 10 years ago on Lincoln and spent most of my free time going around the battlefield and didn't see all of it.  The wife and I were there in June and a lot of the trees have been cut so it more resembles the battlefield as it was.  At the time of the class, the latest body that had been found there that could be identified as a Civil War soldier was in 1997.  My point is the battlefields, in many cases, were so vast that, as you say, many historians have the estimate at 700,000.  It could be probable since many of the battles were fought around rivers, swamps, and largely deserted areas.  Likely as not, many remain unaccounted for.  I have a great, great uncle who died, and is buried, at Andersonville and if that many died in less than two years it seems the 620,000 could be low.  If you can, go there as it gives an unmistakable visual reference of how many people actually died in the war.

As a Viet Nam Vet, I salute you: :patriot:

SPQR

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2013, 03:33:14 am »
If you have been to Antietam, you weren't that far from Gettysburg.  Gettysburg is probably the best marked of the Civil War battlefields.  I attended a class at Gettysburg College about 10 years ago on Lincoln and spent most of my free time going around the battlefield and didn't see all of it.  The wife and I were there in June and a lot of the trees have been cut so it more resembles the battlefield as it was.  At the time of the class, the latest body that had been found there that could be identified as a Civil War soldier was in 1997.  My point is the battlefields, in many cases, were so vast that, as you say, many historians have the estimate at 700,000.  It could be probable since many of the battles were fought around rivers, swamps, and largely deserted areas.  Likely as not, many remain unaccounted for.  I have a great, great uncle who died, and is buried, at Andersonville and if that many died in less than two years it seems the 620,000 could be low.  If you can, go there as it gives an unmistakable visual reference of how many people actually died in the war.

As a Viet Nam Vet, I salute you: :patriot:

Thanks for the compliment.There are other historians who put the figure at the most of 750,000 people dead because of the Confederate dead and other factors. They have tried to re-count the figure in selected companies and regiments because of the unaccounted for and other locations as you mentioned.Here are soldiers using Napoleonic tactics with modern weapons with the new introduction of trench warfare. The Civil War has harbinger of things come in Europe from 1914-1918 .The 620,000 dead figure was based on the war benefits given to widows after the war in 1870. I think the biggest disaster in the Civil War was the SS Slocum explosion. Here are the survivors from the Andersonville horror thinking that they are free and going home and a overloaded steam ship blows up. There was not a full accounting of the dead of the steam ship explosion. A bigger tragedy was on July 1,1916 at the Battle of the Somme when  60,000 soldiers died in a day because the French refused to join the operation.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 03:43:35 am by SPQR »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2013, 11:25:05 pm »
The liberal Pittsburgh Post-Gazette dares to question The Won:
Call to duty: Obama should go to Gettsyburg as Lincoln did
November 3, 2013 3:15 PM

The powers and duties of the president of the United States are set forth in the Constitution, but there's one not mentioned that nevertheless all great presidents fulfill -- to be the voice of moral conscience for the nation and the ceremonial witness attending its most significant moments.

Abraham Lincoln fulfilled that duty. It took him to Gettysburg, Pa., a few months after a terrible battle had been fought that paved the way for the eventual Union victory in the Civil War. The speech President Lincoln made on Nov. 19, 1863, to dedicate a cemetery to the fallen was the postscript that set the war on a new moral path and the nation to a new birth of freedom.

With the 150th anniversary of the battle fittingly memorialized in July, the commemoration of the Gettysburg Address requires the same noble postscript Lincoln provided. Yet President Barack Obama intends to stay away.

Instead, it has been announced that the administration will send U.S. Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell to share the role of keynote speaker with historian James McPherson. Nothing against these distinguished figures, but the president's intention is as mystifying as it is dismaying.

Mr. Obama, a fine orator in his own right, has a well-known interest and affection for Lincoln and took the oath of office on a Bible used by the 16th president. It is an affront to history that the Great Emancipator's memory is being disrespected by one who is the living proof of emancipation's final triumph.

Mr. President, heed the call of duty -- come to Gettysburg on Nov. 19, honor Lincoln and your country. Speak briefly if you wish -- Lincoln did -- but speak.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2013, 01:12:10 am »
Obama is only a 'fine orator' in his teleprompter's own right............not his own right...........
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

rangerrebew

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2013, 01:34:07 pm »
Obama is only a 'fine orator' in his teleprompter's own right............not his own right...........

The caretaker's house is fairly close to where Lincoln gave the speech so Obama shouldn't have any problem with electricity for his teleprompter. :Odance:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2013, 01:44:34 pm »
Not going to Gettysburg is the first decent thing I've seen him do!

Just sayin!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2013, 02:49:25 pm »
Barack Obama has no honor.  The President of the United States should be there.  This is what makes Barack Obama so despicable.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

rangerrebew

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2013, 05:14:32 pm »
Not going to Gettysburg is the first decent thing I've seen him do!

Just sayin!

:thumbsup: :mauslaff: