Author Topic: This time let us keep the floodgates closed, say NO to the EU  (Read 542 times)

Offline Rapunzel

This time let us keep the floodgates closed, say NO to the EU
« on: October 30, 2013, 10:51:53 PM »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: This time let us keep the floodgates closed, say NO to the EU
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 05:30:37 PM »
Oh, good lord. The Express. Let's see what the National Front Daily has to say.

Where to begin?

The EU needs the UK, badly. Without us, they'd be getting tariffs on their goods from most of the world. We are their gateway to the Commonwealth. Does anyone really think that, with that much money and resources involved, we'd simply be allowed to walk away? Not a hope in hell. We have our own version of the low information voter (oddly enough, frequently Express readers), who is easily swayed by slogans and freebies, and the only way we can leave the EU is by voting for it in a referendum.

Next - the immigration patterns. I have said before - frequently - that the Lithuanians and Poles that have moved in to our area work hard, fit in, learn English, join in in church, pub and community socials, check the elderly neighbors and join the neighborhood watch scheme. Nice people, very family oriented, and most definitely not on the government teat, other than the usual health care - which they contribute to - and schooling for their children - which again they contribute to. They are a net benefit to the community, unlike a few other groups I could mention.

They are taking our jerbs!!! - total effing bollocks. They are taking jobs that are available because they apply and actually show up to work on time and work a full day. Opening businesses (it always seems to be either cafes or nail salons for some reason) and putting way more into the country than they take out.

All in all - the Express is catering to it's base again with this piece of pandering, isolationist claptrap.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
Re: This time let us keep the floodgates closed, say NO to the EU
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 12:10:20 AM »

They are taking our jerbs!!! - total effing bollocks. They are taking jobs that are available because they apply and actually show up to work on time and work a full day. Opening businesses (it always seems to be either cafes or nail salons for some reason) and putting way more into the country than they take out.

That is the great - and woefully underappreciated - fact of most immigrants.  I know a number of hard-working immigrants and can only say, to my own shame, that I wish I could work as hard as do they.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf