Author Topic: What REALLY happened to Bettie Page?  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

What REALLY happened to Bettie Page?
« on: October 30, 2013, 07:53:45 pm »
Rest of the headline:
Iconic pinup girl who disappeared from the spotlight in 1958 unveils her previously unknown personal life in new documentary

Bettie has been a topic of discussion on here in the past and now there is a new documentary out, narrated by Page herself, describing what happened to her after she disappeared from public viewing.

'They claim that I opened up the sexual revolution,' an elderly Bettie Page says in the trailer of
Bettie Page Reveals All, a soon-to-be released documentary that looks at the sex symbol's controversial rise and eventual fall.

The iconic pinup girl, who died at the age of 85 in December 2008, famously disappeared from the spotlight at the height of her career during the late Fifties and the public has continued to wildly speculate what happened to her.

Set to be released in select theaters on November 22 in New York and on November 29 in Los Angeles, the documentary finally gives voice to the sultry siren of the Southland as she unveils her previously unknown personal life after 40 years of enigmatic seclusion.

Narrated by Page herself, from interviews recorded by director Mark Mori in 1996 and 1999, the film reveals how she spent some time in an institution after a genetic predisposition for paranoid schizophrenia got the better of her.

'It had built up so much that my mind snapped,' Page says in the documentary of her illustrious career and her sudden departure

Go to the link for the remainder of the story and several more photos of the lovely Ms Page. You can also judge from these 1950s photos, racy then, how far our culture has come since then. Good? Bad? Who cares?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2480192/What-happened-Bettie-Page-Iconic-pinup-reveals-personal-life-new-documentary.html
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: What REALLY happened to Bettie Page?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 08:05:38 pm »
I would have offered to nurse her back to health.....darn!   :thud:  A beautiful woman!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 08:10:02 pm »
Might be mildly inappropriate - but how many men here became men thanks to Ms. Page.

I have very fond memories of her. Dita von Teese tries, but no contest.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 08:16:55 pm »
Might be mildly inappropriate - but how many men here became men thanks to Ms. Page.

It was discovered in a survey of Boy Scouts that 8 out of 10 masturbated. 

And that the other two were liars.

I remember Jayne Mansfield, Marilyn Monroe, Sophia Loren.  Being born in 46', I wasn't a teen yet when Ms. Page 'retired'.

But as a collector of vintage pinups, she's in the Hall of Fame.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 10:34:36 pm »
I am gonna shill a friend for a second - I interviewed her a couple years back and she is class.

Gina Elise. she runs pinupsforvets.com.  She has the look down perfect and is a totally charming young lady. Pretty, loves nose art and spends most of her weekends visiting wounded vets in the hospital.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 10:46:48 pm »
Gina Elise. she runs pinupsforvets.com.  She has the look down perfect and is a totally charming young lady. Pretty, loves nose art and spends most of her weekends visiting wounded vets in the hospital.

Sweet, EC, she sounds like a lovely and kind young woman but I must take exception with you regarding this post. How are we lads to fully judge her story without a picture?

Ah, what the heck. I've got you covered.

We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 10:52:28 pm »
You got my back  :laugh:

Her interview is here - I no longer do that gig, so can post it.

http://www.guyspeak.com/the-march-interview-a-nose-art-for-love/

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 11:14:17 pm »
You got my back  :laugh:

Her interview is here - I no longer do that gig, so can post it.

http://www.guyspeak.com/the-march-interview-a-nose-art-for-love/

Edit to add - I have totally zero idea how we met. Could have been someone from here, from TOS or from milnet.

I will state - if she was my own daughter, I could not be prouder of her.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 05:22:08 am »
I'm reminded of Betty Page every time I hit I-5 through Seattle. A man painted a mural on the side of his house with Betty Page topless, wearing black panties and thigh highs. It is clearly visible from I-5's northbound lanes. He did a great job, and has received more praise by far than complaints. 

http://gilmanpark.wordpress.com/2010/11/03/bettie-page-house-seattle/

Detailed story.....
http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=105176

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 05:28:35 am »

Retro girls Rock!   Even though there poses were PG rated in comparison to what is out there today, I still think the women on the calendars in my grandfather's work shop back in the 1960s were light-years more tantalizing and sexy than the trash posing for photos today.   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 07:05:43 am »
Retro girls Rock!   Even though there poses were PG rated in comparison to what is out there today, I still think the women on the calendars in my grandfather's work shop back in the 1960s were light-years more tantalizing and sexy than the trash posing for photos today.   

They were women, old friend. Real women, with not a lot of photoshop or airbrushing. They got curves. (well not Audrey Hepburn but she was just so cutely sexy!)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 01:00:49 pm »
Don't click on this at work. No nude pics in the actual article, but some of her more iconic pictures are there.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/14/betty-page-documentary_n_4269102.html

The 'Illegal' Bettie Page Photos We Almost Never Saw

A documentary slated to hit New York City this month boasts a hefty tease. The film, titled "Bettie Page Reveals All," will present to those who see it an archive of never published photos of the celebrated pin-up queen. Nude photos, to be precise; ones so salacious they were almost confiscated by the police in 1952.

The photos were originally taken at a "camera club," a secretive type of photography gathering that took place in empty offices across New York City in the 1950s. Through this system, photographers could shoot women like Page in the buff, without running up against the laws that technically prevented such pictures from being published. Famous photographers like Weegee and Gordon Parks frequented the events.

“Nudity back then was very unusual,” photographer Dick Heinlein explained to The New York Post. He's the one who snapped the never before seen camera club images that appear in the film, and somehow managed to avoid handing his film over to authorities once the venue was raided.

“Out of the woods, here comes this squad car!," he recounted from the night. "They had their guns drawn on a bunch of photographers [ordering us], ‘Take the film out of your cameras!’"

Thankfully, Heinlein's images survived as a relic of photography's closed-door past. Watch the video above for a peek at "Bettie Page Reveals All," directed by filmmaker Mark Mori and narrated by the mysterious Page herself. The film opens at the Village East Theater on November 22, 2013.

You can gaze upon some (non-nude) images that will appear in the film below and head to the gallery for a look at some more familiar (and very NSFW) Page photographs from the past.

Online rustynail

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 01:04:46 pm »
Bangs are nice.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 01:31:09 pm »
Bangs are nice.

They certainly are.  :smokin:
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Rodrigo

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 05:35:55 am »
I've lifted a beautiful photo of Bettie Page off the internet.  It is better than anything I've seen in my 66 years.