Author Topic: Waxman: Selling Individual Insurance is 'Abuse'  (Read 1495 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Waxman: Selling Individual Insurance is 'Abuse'
« on: October 30, 2013, 06:35:25 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/10/30/Waxman-Selling-Individual-Insurance-is-Abuse

by Joel B. Pollak 30 Oct 2013, 8:06 AM PDT post a comment
Rep. Henry Waxman (D-CA), who serves as Ranking Member of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, called the private sale of cheap health individual insurance plans "the worst abuses of the insurance industry" and said that Obamacare would halt those abuses. Waxman was defending the new standards Obamacare established for individual plans, which is causing the cancellation of millions of plans.

Waxman was speaking during a hearing featuring testimony from Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius, who defended the cancellations and said that President Barack Obama had not, in fact, broken his promise that people who liked their health insurance plan could keep it. People were not being dropped, she said--they were just being given better health insurance plans that they were required to buy.

Following Waxman, Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) compared the cancellations to the government forcing drivers to trade in Fords to buy Ferraris. Under Waxman's logic, the fact that consumers might benefit from cheaper plans, even if those plans did not offer the same array of benefits, is irrelevant. The free choice of individual consumers and insurance providers offering a legal and beneficial product is defined as "abuse."

Under Waxman's definition, a student graduating from a professional school who happened to be older than 26 (and hence ineligible to stay on his or her parents' insurance) and who found a job in a small organization that did not provide insurance to employees would be a victim of "abuse" if he or she found an affordable individual insurance policy that provided basic protection from catastrophic health problems.

Waxman--and Obamacare--would rather force that graduate to choose between a far more expensive policy on the Obamacare exchanges (assuming he or she could register) that includes more benefits than he or she wants, on the one hand, or not buying any insurance at all and paying the penalty to the IRS, on the other, knowing full well that he or she could not be denied emergency treatment or insurance coverage later.

The graduate, facing rent and student loan payments, would effectively be forced to become uninsured. That sounds more like "abuse" than allowing individuals to buy insurance they want at a price they are prepared to pay. It is also not a hypothetical situation--it describes my own situation a few years ago, when I bought affordable insurance from United Healthcare. Little did I know I had been a victim of "abuse."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GourmetDan

Re: Waxman: Selling Individual Insurance is 'Abuse'
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 06:42:29 pm »

Waxman... Feinstein...

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.” ― Voltaire

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 06:57:56 pm »
Soooooo,

selling used cars from the 80's and 90's is abuse too?
selling only 'liability' auto insurance is abuse too?
selling a home that is a 'fixer upper' is abuse too?
selling generic 'no lable' goods is abuse too?

all the 'dollar stores' are abusing thier customers by not selling top of the line quality goods?
all the Goodwill and Thrift stores are abusing people?

Who is the government to tell me what I can and cannot buy?
Sometime the cheaper item perfectly suits my needs. I never felt like I was being 'abused'.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 07:01:22 pm »
Having Waxman as a congress-critter  is  abuse, a major abuse.  :smokin:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 07:03:58 pm by flowers »

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 07:04:22 pm »
The mask is falling, and fast.

Beneath the Progressive's kindly visage lies the Totalitarian's sneer.

Happy Halloween.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline collins

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 07:07:58 pm »
Up is down, good is evil, war is peace, everything is always upside down in their Orwellian world. I really don't care if Waxman thinks private insurance is abuse or not, but one constant in this world is that Waxman is beyond fugly. EWWWW!!!!

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 07:11:54 pm »
Up is down, good is evil, war is peace, everything is always upside down in their Orwellian world.

Sure... but they aren't that stupid.

They're merely tools being used by their masters...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 07:20:02 pm »
Liberalism is a mental disorder.

It is. But insurance is about the voluntary transfer of risk, while ObamaCare is about the involuntary transfer of wealth. They know exactly what they are doing, and why.

Still, it doesn't make them any less crazy - or dangerous.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 07:53:45 pm »
It is. But insurance is about the voluntary transfer of risk, while ObamaCare is about the involuntary transfer of wealth. They know exactly what they are doing, and why.

Still, it doesn't make them any less crazy - or dangerous.

The axiom 'Liberalism is a mental disorder.' is not intended for the architects of Liberalism. The billionaire architects are nefarious and insidious and are far from insane.

The term is meant for the acolytes. The followers and believers. They are chasing a dream, a fantasy, which can never be fulfilled. They are hopeless.

They have been so conditioned and trained to deal with cognitive dissonance, hypocrisy, and conflicts with reality, that they are no longer able to perceive reality in a realistic way. Everything they see, read, hear, and experience is washed through a built in filter planted in their brain. When they see or experience something which conflicts with their ideology, they are conditioned to deny it, blame it, or deflect it. But they will never 'accept' it for what it is.

That, is the mental disorder part. They are no more than Moonies, or any other cult member who has had their personalities altered by mind influencing techniques.

That is what Americans and Republicans eventually have to realize. We are dealing with a 'cult', and as with all or most cults nothing is 'out of bounds' for a Liberal. They will do and say anything to anyone if they think it will further their cause. Reality be damned!

Liberalism is a mental disorder. It really is. How else could anyone explain praising Sharia Law, while celebrating homosexuality. These people are Nuts!
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 07:55:15 pm »
The billionaire architects are nefarious and insidious and are far from insane.

This is correct...