Author Topic: Congress Bags Free Airport Parking, Front-of-the-Line Airline Bookings  (Read 946 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/10/29/Congress-Bags-Free-Airport-Parking-Front-Of-The-Line-Airline-Bookings

The expensive airport parking fees and costly airline reservation cancellations that bedevil most travelers are of little concern for members of Congress.

According to the new book Extortion: How Politicians Extract Your Money, Buy Votes, and Line Their Own Pockets, Capitol Hill staffers use private dedicated phone lines set up just for members of Congress when booking lawmakers’ flights. Airlines also allow politicians to reserve seats on multiple flights but only pay for the trips they actually take.

“They are treated completely differently from the time they book their ticket until the time they land at the airport,” Kate Hanni, director of Flyers Rights, told Roll Call.   

Members of Congress also enjoy free parking courtesy of the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority. In fact, Washington’s Dulles International Airport has 97 reserved spaces just for members of Congress. Reagan National has 89 special parking spots.

The author of the book, Government Accountability Institute President Peter Schweizer, says airlines extend the congressional perks to keep lawmakers happy—and at bay.

“Why do airlines pamper them?” writes Schweizer. “Precisely because they know that getting on the wrong side of the Permanent Political Class can cause their industry serious problems.”

In Extortion, Schweizer challenges the commonly accepted assumption that outside forces seek to bribe and strong arm Washington politicians. The reality is exactly the reverse, argues Schweizer. Politicians induce fear using legislative tactics to extort rich industries and individuals into making large campaign donations that are often then converted into funds that can be funneled to a politician’s friends or family members.

“Washington’s Permanent Political Class does not live and play by the same rules you and I do,” said Schweizer in an interview with Breitbart News. “The things that would send us to jail are simply ‘another day at the office’ for Washington politicians.”

I am so sick and tired of these people. Tar and feathers for most of them I say.

Offline happyg

Re: Congress Bags Free Airport Parking, Front-of-the-Line Airline Bookings
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 12:30:14 am »
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/10/29/Congress-Bags-Free-Airport-Parking-Front-Of-The-Line-Airline-Bookings

I am so sick and tired of these people. Tar and feathers for most of them I say.

Or worse. America doesn't have royalty, although a lot of liberals think they are the cat's meow. I suppose they get freebies from the airlines to stay on good terms with them. One never knows if or when dems will seek revenge on anyone.

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 12:34:04 am »
Exactly the same that happened at Countrywide - you know, the mortgage broker that helped blow things up - where members of Congress and their staff were given special perks and mortgages no regular person could ever get.

This is what garden-variety crony capitalism looks like.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 12:39:11 am »
Its good to be the King.

Or even the sycophants to the King...

This is America today. Law is meaningless, except to those who are not connected.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 12:49:22 am »
Seems to me, and I could be wrong, this same issue of special treatment for Congress at DC airports was raised as long ago as when Reagan was President, or perhaps when the Republicans took over Congress under Newt in 1994 (though more likely the former).

Then, of course, the practice was "reformed".

Anyone else recall that?
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams