Author Topic: Michael Jackson doctor released from prison  (Read 1378 times)

Offline flowers

Michael Jackson doctor released from prison
« on: October 28, 2013, 05:44:48 pm »
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/10/28/michael-jackson-doctor-released-from-prison/?intcmp=latestnews

LOS ANGELES –  Conrad Murray, the former doctor convicted of causing Michael Jackson's death, has been released from prison.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department confirmed to Fox News that Murray was released from a downtown Los Angeles jail at 12:01 a.m. local time Monday.

The former cardiologist served less than two years of a four-year sentence after being convicted in 2011 of involuntary manslaughter for Jackson's June 2009 death. The pop superstar died after receiving a lethal dose of the anesthetic propofol, which Murray was giving Jackson as a sleep aid.

Murray's medical licenses remain suspended or revoked in three states where he previously practiced medicine.

A change in California law allowed Murray's incarceration time to be significantly cut down. In an attempt to ease the problem of overcrowded state prisons, Murray served his sentence in a county jail instead of a state penitentiary. His sentenced was reduced by half due to good behavior and Murray was also credited with time served for weeks he had spent in prison prior to his trial.

The former doctor is appealing his conviction, although an appeals court has questioned whether it needs to hear the case. His attorney Valerie Wass has argued that the court should not dismiss the appeal because it could alter his overall sentence and reduce some of the stigma his conviction has caused.

Despite being jailed, Murray has not been entirely silent. Audio recordings of his calls have been posted on celebrity website TMZ and the ex-doctor told the Today show that he cried tears of joy after a civil jury recently determined that the promoters of Jackson's comeback shows did not negligently hire Murray.

He did not, however, testify in the civil case or take the stand during his criminal trial.

Murray previously maintained clinics in Houston and Las Vegas and frequently complained about conditions in jail after his conviction. He was allowed to serve his entire sentence in a Los Angeles jail rather than a state prison due to a law aimed at easing overcrowding by shifting nonviolent offenders to local lockups.

"Dr. Murray has not received any special treatment in jail and in fact has many less privileges than most inmates because of his notoriety," Wass said in a statement earlier this year. She said he "is very much looking forward to his release and getting on with his life.  However, the fact of his incarceration is increasingly difficult for him."

Jurors in a lawsuit filed by Jackson's mother against concert giant AEG Live LLC determined that the doctor was not unfit or incompetent to serve as Jackson's tour doctor earlier this month. The panel heard testimony about Jackson and Murray's relationship throughout the five-month trial, but the panel said it did not condone the physician's conduct.

"That doesn't mean we felt he was ethical," jury foreman Gregg Barden said of Murray after the AEG Live verdict.

No doctor or medical expert has condoned Murray's treatments of Jackson during either the ex-doctor's criminal case or the civil litigation. The former cardiologist told police he gave the superstar nightly doses of propofol to help him sleep but lacked the proper medical or monitoring equipment that's required to administer anesthesia.

Although widely used, propofol is intended only for surgical settings and experts have noted that its effects are not actually sleep.

Offline olde north church

Re: Michael Jackson doctor released from prison
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 05:47:16 pm »
In truth, the good doctor shouldn't have served minute one.  It's time society stops taking a pound of flesh.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 06:05:20 pm »
In truth, the good doctor shouldn't have served minute one.  It's time society stops taking a pound of flesh.
I'll take the other side, and argue that a medical doctor is bound by his oath, and to administer drugs in the manner he did, violates that oath, and is grossly negligent.

The sentence was light, considering a person died because of his negligence. And those who might argue that Jackson had it coming, because he was so screwed up--I'll counter no, those are the ones MOST in need of professional doctors' care.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 06:08:17 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 06:12:51 pm »
I'll take the other side, and argue that a medical doctor is bound by his oath, and to administer drugs in the manner he did, violates that oath, and is grossly negligent.

The sentence was light, considering a person died because of his negligence.

I think he was prosecuted because the patient was a celebrity, who could have gone to any doctor willing to  write a prescription for the cash and a prosecutor want to engage in resume padding for future polical office.  If the patient were Cletus D Yokel and the family was not money or connection, there wouldn't have been a case.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 06:15:35 pm »
I think he was prosecuted because the patient was a celebrity, who could have gone to any doctor willing to  write a prescription for the cash and a prosecutor want to engage in resume padding for future polical office.  If the patient were Cletus D Yokel and the family was not money or connection, there wouldn't have been a case.

Doctors are not allowed to administer conscious sedation outside a hospital.  They are supposed to have a anesthesiologist present administering it and monitoring the patient.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 06:26:33 pm »
How soon will the multi-million dollar book offer come?
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline flowers

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 06:31:04 pm »
How soon will the multi-million dollar book offer come?
Or the Piers Morgan interview?

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 06:40:45 pm »

Doctors are not allowed to administer conscious sedation outside a hospital.  They are supposed to have a anesthesiologist present administering it and monitoring the patient.

I understand that.  My point is, I'm sure there are physicians with morally casual attitudes willing to overlook certain aspects of medical protocol in the pursuit of a shekel or two.

rangerrebew

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 09:05:55 pm »
Did you know Michael was cremated and made into a pair of dice? :silly:

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 03:22:43 am »

Agreed.  Too many these days play the blame game and accept no responsibility for their own actions.

Offline raml

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 05:08:44 am »
Michael was responsible for his drug problem. The doctor was responsible for his deliberate enabling of Michael to continue using and using a drug outside of the hospital setting that wasn't allowed which caused him to commit manslaughter. Michael died for his drug use so he paid his price for using and the doctor went to jail for a minute and lost his license in three states so I guess he also paid. I didn't like Michael at all as an adult but I still say it is a doctors duty to keep his oath maybe Michael would have gone for treatment if doctors hadn't been so busy trying to make money off him. You  have to hit bottom sometimes to get help but doctors, friends and family never let him get there.