Author Topic: Has anyone read the book by Bill O'Reilly called "Killing Jesus?"  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Olivia

I've heard O'Reilly speak about parts of this book and I'm not too sure I want to read it.
Even though I know that some parts of the Bible could be misinterpreted, O'Reilly argues that Jesus could not have spoken at all while on the cross.
He went on to explain why, but I always get suspicious when someone starts to explain how the Bible is wrong. Don't know if I would like to read the book or not.
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline Cincinnatus

Re: Has anyone read the book by Bill O'Reilly called "Killing Jesus?"
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 07:21:01 pm »
O'Reilly stated that given the very nature of crucifixion it would have been impossible for the Master to have spoken. He also said there is no "historical evidence" He did so. Apparently for O'Reilly the Gospels are a collection of pious myths.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 07:29:04 pm »
Don't know if I would like to read the book or not.

You can read it... just don't pay money to do that...    :silly:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Olivia

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 07:32:09 pm »
O'Reilly stated that given the very nature of crucifixion it would have been impossible for the Master to have spoken. He also said there is no "historical evidence" He did so. Apparently for O'Reilly the Gospels are a collection of pious myths.

That's what I thought, also.  Don't know what to think anymore.

My pastor said the other day that his grandson didn't believe that Jonah was swallowed by a whale.  My pastor told him it was OK to believe it was a fable to make a point.  :pondering:
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 07:50:57 pm »
Olivia, a small correction and a comment.

The Bible does not state Jonah was swallowed by a whale. Scripture states,
Now the Lord had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah
. Jonah 1:17a. It might have been a whale, it might not. We don't know (and I personally doubt it; not the swallowing, the whale).

Secondly, and this is far more serious as far as your pastor and his grandson go. The Master verified the story of Jonah.

But Jesus replied, “Only an evil, faithless nation would ask for further proof; and none will be given except what happened to Jonah the prophet! For as Jonah was in the great fish for three days and three nights, so I, the Messiah,[a] shall be in the heart of the earth three days and three nights
Matthew 12: 39-40

I am amazed your pastor does not know what Jesus said of Jonah. I assume he does and has told his grandson a little white lie to sustain his faith. In either case he is wrong and, though this may be difficult to do, you ought to bring it to his attention.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 08:18:01 pm »
Well, didn't Jesus tell a lot of openly fictional parables?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 01:39:36 pm »
Well, didn't Jesus tell a lot of openly fictional parables?
Yes, e.g., the parables of the lost sheep, the "prodigal" son, the mustard seed, etc. When he told a parable he made it clear it was a story meant to impart a lesson to the listeners, not an historical account of an actual event. His references to Jonah - or Solomon, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, et al. - on the other hand, are clearly historical. His audience knew these to be real historical characters.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Olivia

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 05:48:45 pm »
Olivia, a small correction and a comment.

The Bible does not state Jonah was swallowed by a whale. Scripture states, . Jonah 1:17a. It might have been a whale, it might not. We don't know (and I personally doubt it; not the swallowing, the whale).

Secondly, and this is far more serious as far as your pastor and his grandson go. The Master verified the story of Jonah.
 Matthew 12: 39-40

I am amazed your pastor does not know what Jesus said of Jonah. I assume he does and has told his grandson a little white lie to sustain his faith. In either case he is wrong and, though this may be difficult to do, you ought to bring it to his attention.

Thank you so much for this clarification!  I seem to lack in knowledge of the Bible, even though I thought I knew quite a lot.
You are right.  I'm going to find a way to speak with my pastor about this.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 06:02:50 pm »

What does he base that on?

I have seen people talk with half their heads blown away. Taken last words from people with no chest left. Been given a sacred trust from someone who had lost most of her blood, along with both her legs.

O'Reilly knows crap, in this case. People are as tough as hell and die hard.

As to the book itself - wife is reading it. She is (so far) not impressed. I'll probably get to read it next week.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink