Author Topic: 'Beg' Apple: Subways overrun with homeless [NY Police back off enforcement]  (Read 1681 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Beg Apple: Subways overrun with homeless
By Gary Buiso

October 27, 2013 | 2:03am

It’s an express train — to the bad old days.

Cops are giving homeless people and panhandlers in the subways the kid-glove treatment, arresting subterranean scofflaws far less frequently than just two years ago, data show.

The ranks of the homeless, meanwhile, have swelled to 1,841 this year — a 13 percent increase over last year’s tally, the city’s Department of Homeless Services says.

For straphangers, it has created an atmosphere of fear.

“I feel threatened, especially taking the train at night,” explained Brooklynite Lortashia Smith, who said she has been followed off trains several times. “The police can definitely do more.”

The NYPD said panhandler/peddler arrests in the subway have increased over the past year, with 409 pinched so far in 2013 versus 395 in 2012. But those numbers pale in comparison to 2011, when it was reported that in a six-month span that year, a whopping 930 panhandlers and peddlers — the two are not separated in the data — were arrested.

“There’s been a drop-off,” acknowledged one police source.

The NYPD refused to provide full-year data for 2011, when cops were busy cracking down on underground quality-of-life issues as part of a Transit Bureau initiative called Operation Moving Target.

more at:  http://nypost.com/2013/10/27/subways-overrun-with-homeless-as-panhandling-busts-down/

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

We all know how big these stories would be if it were a Republican in the White House.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

You didn't have this under Rudy.  Started right back up with Bloomie.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline DCPatriot

You didn't have this under Rudy.  Started right back up with Bloomie.

That's just a coincidence, Rap.

This economy mirrors the Depression Era....not the Clinton/Bush era.

The only reason they're not crucifying Blommberg is because he's a RINO.

Offline DCPatriot

Boy .....is the site crawling or what?

Offline Rapunzel

Actually wasn't coincidence.  Rudy cracked down hard on panhandling.  Back then there was none and NY streets were safe, even late at night.  Went to San Francisco during the same time and the panhandlers met you at the hotel door and followed you down the street demanding money.  As soon as Bloomberg was elected they started doing it again in NY.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Bloomie lost the R a long time ago. Even NY Republicans didn't want him. He is an 'Independent' now.

rangerrebew

:da man:The mayor wannabe, deBlasio, said he would create 200,000 low income units.  I don't know where that would be but maybe he's thinking of shutting the subways to make room for the trash.

Offline Cincinnatus

I find myself shocked at this report.

I recall when GW was President there were many a story about the homeless and how heartless his administration was in dealing with them. Then when his Highness was elected the stories all disappeared and I thought sure the homeless problem had finally been resolved under Obama's masterful leadership.

Now comes this story and the problem appears to have reemerged since I can't think of any other explanation as to why the homeless have been out of the news for the last 5 years. 
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

rangerrebew

I find myself shocked at this report.

I recall when GW was President there were many a story about the homeless and how heartless his administration was in dealing with them. Then when his Highness was elected the stories all disappeared and I thought sure the homeless problem had finally been resolved under Obama's masterful leadership.

Now comes this story and the problem appears to have reemerged since I can't think of any other explanation as to why the homeless have been out of the news for the last 5 years.

The media seems to have overlooked the fact that more troops have died in Afghanistan with the "guidance" of the Imam Ali Bama than with Dubya.  Imagine that. :bolt:

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Conditions in the subways today -- as well as up on the street -- are going to seem like paradise by comparison to what they'll be like in the fourth year of the de Blasio administration.

Just wait!

Offline Carling

The ranks of the homeless, meanwhile, have swelled to 1,841 this year — a 13 percent increase over last year’s tally, the city’s Department of Homeless Services says.

NYC is claiming that there are only 1841 homeless people in the city?  What?   :shrug:
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Cincinnatus

Do you really think that under de Blasio it will take this long?

what they'll be like in the fourth year of the de Blasio administration
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
NYC is claiming that there are only 1841 homeless people in the city?  What?   :shrug:

Per square mile.

I loved what Rudy did. Basically, sat down, looked the problem right in the eye and said "Your move." As a person - hey, we'd probably get in a fist fight within 5 minutes. As a mayor - totally superb.

I could walk down the street late at night without worrying my wife was going to have to hand me her coat - it was brilliant.

There will always be some homeless. That is a given, and a problem. It isn't really solvable, in the same way a concerned friend can not solve someone's addiction. Most of these are not homeless - panhandling pays rather well, if you know how to do it and have no shame.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

My brother works for the city homeless shelters. Every year, usually when the weather turns cold, they do a homeless count during one 24 hour period. Multiple agencies in the city are involved and they try to come up with an accurate number. It should be coming up soon. If I hear anything I'll let you know.