Author Topic: City government: Your "God Bless America" sign on your own property is illegal  (Read 1562 times)

rangerrebew

City Government: Your "God Bless America" Sign on Your Own Property is Illegal

Posted on October 16, 2013 by Mark Horne filed under Email Featured, First Amendment, Government Control, Tyranny

One of the horrible aspects of our present invasion of corporate totalitarianism in the US is that our struggle isn’t just with the Federal Government. Hometown America is just brimming with ambitious fascism. A case in point: Bartow, Florida. Residents are being told their "God Bless America" signs in their yard are illegal.

The Ledger reports:

Ken Wiggins, a certified code enforcement officer for Bartow, said he and another officer began leaving door hangers this week, notifying 20 residents that the signs would have to go.

"These are just requests to take the signs down," he said. "They violate the city's sign ordinance, which prohibits temporary signs. But no one has been cited for anything, and no one has been fined."

If those homeowners don't take corrective action, they could face further code enforcement action and possible fines by the Code Enforcement Board, he said.

Word of the door hangers exploded on Bartow's social media Friday, and dozens of residents have pledged to confront the City Commission about the issue at its meeting Monday.

For his part, Mayor James Clements planted one of the signs in his front yard Friday, arguing there have been a string of patriotic holidays in recent weeks that warrant such recognition.

"There's nothing in the ordinance that defines how long you can keep a sign up before or after a holiday," he said.

I can easily imagine the nightmarish response from local rulers. They could “reform” the law by stipulating exactly how long after a holiday your holiday sign may remain in your yard. Then they will need to stipulate that signs can’t be posted on other days or that signs that look identical may not be switched out. Otherwise, what would keep a resident from keeping two signs, one on the lawn and one in the garage, and switching them every Tuesday? This entire system is designed for control freaks.

The real tragedy here is that these people are actually taxed to support some number of people whose job is to trash their exercise of their right of free speech and free expression.

Read more at http://politicaloutcast.com/2013/10/city-government-your-god-bless-america-sign-on-your-own-property-is-illegal/#fDxr7Cm7riFOVvum.99

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
OK. Like most people on this side of the pond, I am slightly bemused by the whole "flying the flag" thing. It simply doesn't happen over here. Public buildings here fly the flag. Pubs fly it during the World Cup, when builders vans also have the Cross of Saint George on every available surface. Otherwise, it is not a thing.

Now, don't go getting me wrong - wish it would be a thing. That pride in country? It is something to treasure and respect and admire. I love seeing flags flying outside ordinary homes as a symbol of pride in where you are and what you are, and a passionate commitment to keeping it that way. It's just confusing, you know?

However - what gives any jumped up, petty little jackbooted thug suckling at the public teat the right to say what you display on your own property and for how long? I can understand and make exceptions for public health violations - if your yard is a festering mass of trash and dog doo, that is one thing. A sign proclaiming that you are proud of your nation? Get off my land before I get the shotgun.

A suggestion to the affected home owners. Paint it on the side of your home, instead of as a free standing sign.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rapunzel

OK. Like most people on this side of the pond, I am slightly bemused by the whole "flying the flag" thing. It simply doesn't happen over here. Public buildings here fly the flag. Pubs fly it during the World Cup, when builders vans also have the Cross of Saint George on every available surface. Otherwise, it is not a thing.

Now, don't go getting me wrong - wish it would be a thing. That pride in country? It is something to treasure and respect and admire. I love seeing flags flying outside ordinary homes as a symbol of pride in where you are and what you are, and a passionate commitment to keeping it that way. It's just confusing, you know?

I have a flagpole and proudly fly the flag in front of my home 24/7 (yes, I have a light on it at night).  When the flag becomes tattered I fold it and take it to the VFW for proper burning.    Americans are VERY patriotic people and we are very proud of flag and country.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I have a flagpole and proudly fly the flag in front of my home 24/7 (yes, I have a light on it at night).  When the flag becomes tattered I fold it and take it to the VFW for proper burning.    Americans are VERY patriotic people and we are very proud of flag and country.

:patriot:

I love that idea. Not just flyng the flag, but displaying it and respecting it, even to disposing of it correctly.

It's just - well - different.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
:patriot:

I love that idea. Not just flyng the flag, but displaying it and respecting it, even to disposing of it correctly.

It's just - well - different.
I think part of it is that we were founded, from the beginning, as a republic with no monarch. The reverence that, for instance, the Commonwealth has for the Queen has no parallel here. So we pride ourselves in the republic itself, and the flag is the most accessible symbol of that.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

rangerrebew

I, too, display the American Flag each day.  I served in Viet Nam, my son is a Navy Officer (vet of Iraq and Afghanistan),  wife's father flew the Burma Hump in WWII (had a brother shot down and killed in the Mediterranean), and a Great Great Uncle who died at Andersonville Prisoner of War camp in the Civil War.  We have reason to be proud of history and we display it.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I think part of it is that we were founded, from the beginning, as a republic with no monarch. The reverence that, for instance, the Commonwealth has for the Queen has no parallel here. So we pride ourselves in the republic itself, and the flag is the most accessible symbol of that.

Never thought of it that way - it makes sense!

Offline PzLdr

Haven't flown the Stars and Stripes [except for Memorial Day and Veterans Day] since the day before Il Douche got sworn in in 2009. I fly the Skull and Crossbones, and will 'til that POS leaves the White House. It p*sses me off not to fly it, but until that swine is gone, that's the way it is.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

rangerrebew

Haven't flown the Stars and Stripes [except for Memorial Day and Veterans Day] since the day before Il Douche got sworn in in 2009. I fly the Skull and Crossbones, and will 'til that POS leaves the White House. It p*sses me off not to fly it, but until that swine is gone, that's the way it is.

Do I take this to mean you are not overly fond of Obama? :mauslaff:

Offline PzLdr

Do I take this to mean you are not overly fond of Obama? :mauslaff:

Ya think?
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Have you considered flying the Stars & Stripes upside down, i.e., as a national distress symbol?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Have you considered flying the Stars & Stripes upside down, i.e., as a national distress symbol?

Do both. Distress signal, then the current administration flag.