Author Topic: Israel issues warning on report on Iran bomb  (Read 518 times)

Offline happyg

Israel issues warning on report on Iran bomb
« on: October 26, 2013, 11:44:13 AM »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Israel issues warning on report on Iran bomb
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 12:03:59 PM »
We get a report like this seemingly every couple of months, without fail.

While I have no doubt Israel will do whatever it takes - the concept of empty threats isn't in their arsenal - I wouldn't be hugely worried about the first bomb. If I were in Saudi Arabia, I would be terrified.

Iran wants the holy sites. Badly. It is an obsession within the Council.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 11:14:37 PM »
We get a report like this seemingly every couple of months, without fail.

While I have no doubt Israel will do whatever it takes - the concept of empty threats isn't in their arsenal - I wouldn't be hugely worried about the first bomb. If I were in Saudi Arabia, I would be terrified.

Iran wants the holy sites. Badly. It is an obsession within the Council.

If forced to choose between striking Israel or striking Saudi Arabia, which option do you think Iran would go with?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 12:41:58 AM »
If forced to choose between striking Israel or striking Saudi Arabia, which option do you think Iran would go with?

If it would net them both Mecca and Medina in a single strike, with all the influence and power that entails, Saudi Arabia would get the first bomb. Possibly the first several.

There are a few reasons.

The holy sites themselves. The Shia don't particularly like the Sunni being in control of them.

The Hadj. It is like a holy year in rome - but every single year. Want to fill empty coffers, pilgrims are the way to go.

I know those two points sound cynical - but they are solid. Make no mistake - every single thing the Council does is filtered through belief.

Wahhabism. Believe it or not - Iran is actually fairly moderate in terms of belief (yeah - I know - yet it is true. Largest Jewish community outside Israel - in Iran). They have a lot of Zoroastrian influences, which are diametrically opposed to Wahhabi. They consider it a false religion and a cancer on Islam. Hurts to agree with them on anything, but I can't fault them on this.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf