Author Topic: Family Outraged as Boise Police Officer shoots and kills dog  (Read 1572 times)

Offline sinkspur

Family Outraged as Boise Police Officer shoots and kills dog
« on: October 26, 2013, 12:34:13 am »
http://www.ktvb.com/news/local/Family-outraged-after-dog-was-shot-and-killed-by-Boise-Police-Officer-228565911.html

Family Outraged as Boise Police Officer shoots and kills dog

Andrea Lutz
October 21, 2013

A Boise family is outraged over the death of their 5-year-old dog. Sunday afternoon, a Boise Police officer fired his weapon at the dog, killing it.

For years, Gabrielle Stropkai found companionship in her dog, Kita, calling her a lover and a friend for her son Hayden to grow up with.

“We have kids who run up and pull her tail and grab her by the back of the neck and get in her face and she does nothing but love on them,” said Stropkai.

However, as two Boise patrol officers were investigating a theft that was reported in the area of Woodlawn and 28th Sunday afternoon they felt threatened by Kita.

According to Boise Police spokesman Charles McClure, Kita began running toward them and the officers felt forced to protect themselves.

Neighbors like Bryan Adams were outside at that time and saw it happen.

“She was walking by and went 'ruff ruff' just a couple of little ruffs and that's when she was walking by she didn't jump at him or anything,” explained Adams.

Other witnesses to the incident described the dog as barking and snarling at officers as it approached them.

Stropkai tells KTVB she let Kita outside to use the bathroom and she was in her sight when the officer made an instant decision.

“In about five seconds he pulled his weapon, asked whose dog it was, and shot her in the back of the head,” said Stropkai.

Stropkai explains her two-year-old son Hayden was also witness to the shooting.

“Hayden was outside, about two feet away from me,” said Stropkai's mother, Michelle Pierott. McClure said the two officers were standing in a parking lot when one decided to fire a single shot at the dog when it came within three feet of them.

Kita, a mixed breed, was hit and died at the scene.

“By the time I came out she was down, (I) ran over and looked back and said you just shot her,” said Pierott. “Kita wouldn't have attacked.”

However, the Boise Police Department disagrees. In a statement issued Sunday evening by the department Deputy Chief Pete Ritter had this to say.

"Officers never want to harm an animal. The dog came upon the officers quickly and they felt it was about to bite them. This is a very dog friendly community. Many officers have dogs. We work with dogs. Dogs running loose are a safety risk, for people and for the dogs. This was a very unfortunate situation for everyone involved."

The family believes the officer acted too fast and although an investigation was launched, the biggest worry on their minds is Kita’s six two-week old puppies.

“Now we are going to have to figure out how to keep them alive... without her,” said Pierott. The City of Boise does have a leash ordinance; dog owners are required to keep their dogs on leash, except in specified areas.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Family Outraged as Boise Police Officer shoots and kills dog
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 12:35:25 am »
What kind of man shoots and kills a dog?

More evidence of the trigger-happiness of the roided-up cops who populate our police forces today.

P****es.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 12:36:42 am by sinkspur »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 12:39:16 am »
I was just gonna ask you to edit that word...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 12:43:40 am »
I was just gonna ask you to edit that word...

Half the posters on this board would have spent the rest of the night trying to figure out the asterisked letters.

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 12:57:49 am »
What kind of man shoots and kills a dog?

More evidence of the trigger-happiness of the roided-up cops who populate our police forces today.

P****es.

I am kind of tired of people on here painting LE with such a broad brush! My brother was a detective and a church deacon and associate pastor. He was a really good guy. He was a sharp shooter, head of the bomb squad for 4 counties and an under cover agent working with DEA on certain assignments. He and his friends were awesome!!!! 
There may be be rogue cops everywhere, but don't judge a whole group of brave men/women for sins of the few!!!

Do you hold our whole armed forces responsible for the misdeeds of a few on the battlefield?  If not then give the Law Enforcement Agencies the same respect!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 01:21:28 am »
I am kind of tired of people on here painting LE with such a broad brush! My brother was a detective and a church deacon and associate pastor. He was a really good guy. He was a sharp shooter, head of the bomb squad for 4 counties and an under cover agent working with DEA on certain assignments. He and his friends were awesome!!!! 
There may be be rogue cops everywhere, but don't judge a whole group of brave men/women for sins of the few!!!

Do you hold our whole armed forces responsible for the misdeeds of a few on the battlefield?  If not then give the Law Enforcement Agencies the same respect!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I posted an article here two nights ago in which two researchers have found that a dog is shot by law enforcement every 98 minutes.  What's with that?  In the last decade, not a single cop has been killed by a dog.

And what's with these guys shooting kids after evaluating the situation FOR TEN SECONDS???

No, repub4sarah.  We are dealing with a new breed of cop and a new set of rules of engagement.

Rule 1:  Assume every person you encounter is a hostile.

Rule 2:  Unholster your weapon at every encounter.

Rule 3:  Never risk your own safety if there is the slightest doubt.

I've got two nephews, in their 30s, who've been officers for 10 years.  They have been in dangerous situations and have TALKED THEIR WAY out of them.  They've never drawn their weapons.  And they're incredulous at the knee-jerk reaction of some of their confreres, who, they say, escalate situations with their easy resort to confrontation.

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 01:39:14 am »
Out of the over  706,886  LE in the US, how many have been found to do these horrendous acts?

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 01:55:13 am »
Out of the over  706,886  LE in the US, how many have been found to do these horrendous acts?

More today than ten years ago when minimum requirements for law enforcement included a college degree or, at the very least, a high school diploma.

Unless there's contrary evidence or a video, LEOs are ALWAYS given the benefit of the doubt by grand juries and DAs.  And the cops know this.

I've grown very calloused toward LE.  Especially in all these dog shootings. 

Offline raml

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 07:22:10 am »
Dogs belong in fenced in yards or on leashes or chains that can contain them. They should at all times be under control by the owner then these dogs wouldn't be dead. Now if an officer goes into your fenced in yard and kills your dog then it is murdering an animal and should be a crime. This woman let the dog out to go to the bathroom nowhere does it say the dog was controlled by the woman so it was loose and the police should be wary I don't know about shooting the dog but like I said if she had just kept the dog under her control it would be alive. My dog never goes loose and she is only 10 lbs and wouldn't hurt a flea but I treasure her and want her to be ok.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 07:22:52 am by raml »