Author Topic: Demolition of Sandy Hook school, site of massacre, to begin Friday  (Read 911 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-usa-shooting-connecticut-20131024,0,4239289.story

Richard Weizel Reuters

9:45 a.m. CDT, October 24, 2013

MILFORD, Connecticut (Reuters) - The demolition of Newtown, Connecticut's Sandy Hook Elementary School, where 20 young children and six adults were shot to death last December, will begin on Friday under a cloak of secrecy meant to discourage souvenir-hunters, town officials said.

The town has required the workers handling the teardown of the building to sign agreements banning them from discussing any aspect of the work as Newtown officials attempt to fade out of the media spotlight that hit the bucolic commuter suburb after the December 14 attack.

Town officials aim for completion of the nearly 60-year-old school's demolition by the one-year anniversary of the attack.

"We have people showing up here every day who want to see the school," said Newtown First Selectman Patricia Llodra. "We are not a tourist attraction or a large city. We are a small town of 28,000 that just wants to be left alone to heal."

The massacre by 20-year-old gunman Adam Lanza, a former Sandy Hook student, was one of the worst school shootings in U.S. history and led to stricter gun laws in Connecticut, New York and other nearby states.

Town officials have barricaded the property around the school to keep members of the public and media away.

"We don't want parts of the building showing up as collector's items on eBay," Llodra said.

Full-time security guards will be at the site during demolition, and contractors have also signed confidentiality agreements.

Bestech, an Ellington, Connecticut, company that specializes in removing asbestos and other hazardous waste, is on the job and planning to start tearing down part of the school Friday and through the weekend, town officials said.

Newtown School Board Chairwoman Debbie Leidlein said she was "very relieved demolition of the old school is starting so a new school can be built."

The new school is expected to open by December 2016. Town voters last month accepted a state grant of $49.3 million to demolish the school and build a new one on the same site with a different entrance site and driveway.

Sandy Hook School pupils have been attending a school in neighboring Monroe since the shootings.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 07:31:06 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Re: Demolition of Sandy Hook school, site of massacre, to begin Friday
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 07:33:47 pm »
Unless this building is unfit for human habitation, this is utter idiocy.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 03:11:56 am »
[[ Unless this building is unfit for human habitation, this is utter idiocy. ]]

Not really.

Remember a few years' back, the shooting at the Amish school house in Pennsylvania?

The Amish folks promptly tore the building down, and built a new one somewhere else.

Actually, the "idiocy" is that they intend to build _another_ school on the same site.

They should have cleared the land off, perhaps made it a park with a memorial, and built a new school nearby (there is land which could be available).

(Aside: would you be interested in the Lanza house? Nice piece of property, except for a little bit of history...)

The part of Newtown that is Sandy Hook is actually a beautiful corner of the town. For much of my working career, I would drive down that way on my trip home from work (instead of bypassing it on i-84), because it was a nice spot to pass by.

There's something evil there now.
Evil in the sense that it can and will be used to tear away at our Constitution.

I haven't gone there since last December, and avoid Newtown when I go out riding.

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 03:13:27 am »
Unless this building is unfit for human habitation, this is utter idiocy.

I see the logic in what you're saying, but I also see the sentiment in what they are doing.