Author Topic: East Texas father standing up for rights after son is suspended for wearing Patriotic t-shirt  (Read 6377 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Longview, Texas (KETK) — An East Texas father is fighting a local school district after his son was suspended for refusing to change his shirt for what the school called a "controversial message."

Andy Davidson, Owner/ President at Davidson Energy Services and Owner/Builder at Davidson Construction & Properties in Kilgore posted on his Facebook page he had an encounter with a principal at Spring Hill Middle School in Longview, regarding the text and message on the shirt his son wore to school. The t-shirt had the Bible verse, Romans 13:12, which states “The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light," printed on it...

...According to Davidson, the principal told him, "Your son is wearing offensive apparel today. I believe it reads God, guns, country, and we need to address this situation, by him either changing his clothes, or turning the shirt inside-out." Davidson then asked the principal who the message was controversial toward and the principal answered, "Offensive to me, and I'm sure many others, both here at school and in public."

Here is the company that sells the shirts.
http://www.makersmilitia.com/index.php/ecwid#!/~/product/category=4641428&id=20023070

Offline ABX

Offline ABX

One local parent's letter they posted on Facebook.

Mrs. Parker,

I was shocked this morning to read about your apparent disregard for both the First and Second Amendments. As SCOTUS found in Tinker, and as Bethel failed to change, a student's Constitutional Rights are not waived at the school house door. While you may personally find an image of God, a firearm, or patriotism to be offensive out of some sort of hoplophobic, emotion-based reaction, that in no way lends credence to your claims that the shirt could be disruptive to the educational process.

In fact, it appears, as an outsider looking in, that the only thing disrupting the educational process is you Mrs. Parker. Suspending a child for adhering to his internal moral compass in the face of adversity is shameful at best. What exactly are you trying to teach this young man? That he should abandon his belief system if someone finds fault in it? That he should simply lay down in the face of authority, even if that authority is incorrect? What is the message that you are trying to send?

Are you next going to cut out the pictures of soldiers from your history books? Are you going to drop "Where the Red Fern Grows" from required reading as the protagonist makes his living through a firearm? How about mentions of Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, Hamilton or Madison, who made it very clear throughout their various writings that an armed citzenry is the final and most effective barrier to tyranny? Will you leave out mentions of the Beaches at Normandy in the chances that visualizing a firearm may cause a student to go into a fit of panic? Will you prevent students from engaging in extra-curricular activities with other schools with military themed mascots such as Generals, Spartans or Warriors? What about schools with statues of soldiers on their lawn, some of whom are frighteningly brandishing firearms?

There is no logical consistency to this thought process. You are allowing your partisanship and your own irrational fears make your decisions for you. You will not win this fight. The people stand behind Mr. Davidson, the law stands behind Mr. Davidson and the Supreme Court of the United States stands behind Mr. Davidson. You have made a poor decision in trampling on this young mans rights and spirit, and you will feel the repercussions of this senseless bullying for some time to come. I can only hope that you come to your senses, and treat this young man with the dignity and respect he deserves.

Thank you for your time,

Offline GourmetDan

Davidson then asked the principal who the message was controversial toward and the principal answered, "Offensive to me...

Yeah, that's how it works.  If it's offensive to some bureaucrat, it's offensive.

If it's offensive to you, you're a terrorist hatemonger...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline ABX

Offline ABX

Another parent's letter:

Ms. Parker,
I am writing to express my extreme displeasure and deep concern regarding your recent suspension of Christian Davidson.
Christian chose to wear a shirt to school which expressed his theological and political views. You, in turn, chose to oppress his 1st Amendment right to do so because you deemed his attire "intolerable". This is unacceptable, Ms. Parker.
Exactly what part of the shirt do you and your vice-principal find so objectionable that you would suspend the child for wearing it? The reference to God or the scripture verse? The removal of God from schools, I believe, has significantly contributed to the violence and increased moral turpitude displayed by our youth. Is it the word "guns" under the word God? Have we become such a society of sheep that the mere sight of the word "guns" is intolerable to presumably educated adults?
History shows that God and Guns are what built this country and what continue to protect it, Ms. Parker. I admire this young man's courage to openly express his ideals and I hope he continues to do so, and continues to serve as an inspiration to his peers to exercise and enjoy their liberties. I sincerely hope that your oppression of his God given and Constitutionally protected rights hasn't scarred him.

Respectfully,

Offline ABX

Another parent's letter.

To: "wjones@shisd.net" <wjones@shisd.net>
    Cc: "creed@shisd.net" <creed@shisd.net>; "jcopeland@shisd.net" <jcopeland@shisd.net>
    Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:17 AM
    Subject: The Suspension of Christian Davidson By Principal Kathy Parker

To Superintendent Jones & other Interested Parties,
    In am writing in regards to the Article and event Involving the Suspension of Christian Davidson By Principal Kathy Parker, I ask that this student be re-instated and the Principal be removed immediately!

Christian Davidson, an eighth-grader at Spring Hill Middle School, wore a shirt printed by Davidson's company Maker's Milita which he started in 2012, that had an eagle printed in yellow on the front with the Bible verse on the back, an American flag on the left sleeve and a message which the district deemed "controversial," "God, guns and country."
    According to Davidson, the principal told him, "Your son is wearing offensive apparel today. I believe it reads God, guns, country, and we need to address this situation, by him either changing his clothes, or turning the shirt inside-out." Davidson then asked the principal who the message was controversial toward and the principal answered, "Offensive to me, and I'm sure many others, both here at school and in public."

Article Link here: http://www.ketknbc.com/news/the-school-yard/etx-father-standing-up-for-rights-after-son-is-sus

If this is the Principals actual basis on the suspension is God, Guns and Country, then I would like to point you to the Spring Hill Middle School Student handbook:
    According to which: The Principal's "opinion" is a violation of the Students rights!
    http://www.shisd.net/documents/jh/handbook.pdf

Regarding "GOD" in school:

According to the Handbook:

*PRAYER
    Each student has a right to individually, voluntarily, and silently pray or meditate in school in a
    manner that does not disrupt instructional or other activities of the school. The school will not
    encourage, require, or coerce a student to engage in or to refrain from such prayer or meditation
    during any school activity

***Wearing a shirt with a Bible Verse is SILENT and could be considered "Silent prayer"! And it would only become disruptive to instructional school activities if an instructor or other staff member made an issue out of it.
    -----

*NONDISCRIMINATION STATEMENT
    In its efforts to promote nondiscrimination,
    Spring Hill ISD does not discriminate on the basis of
    race, religion, color, national origin, gender, or disability in providing education services,
    activities, and programs, including CTE programs, in accordance with Title VI of the Civil
    Rights Act of 1964, as amended; Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972; and
    Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), as amended, which incorporates and
    expands upon the requirements of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended.
    The following district representatives have been designated to coordinate compliance with these
    legal requirements:
    •Title IX Coordinator, for concerns regarding discrimination on the basis of sex:
    Penny Fleet,3101 Spring Hill Road, Longview, TX 75605, phone 903.759.4404.
    •Section 504 Coordinator, for concerns regarding discrimination on the basis of disability:
    Oceander Robertson, 3101 Spring Hill Road, Longview, TX 75605,
    phone 903-759.4404.
    •All other concerns regarding discrimination: See the superintendent Wes Jones, 3101 Spring
    Hill Road, Longview, TX 75605, phone 903.

***The Principals "Offense" to the Students shirt is basically a form of discrimination, since the beliefs of the student seemed to not be shared by the Principal and or instructors. To Remove the Student from his classes, or attempt to force/intimidate him into hiding his beliefs by turning the shirt inside out, is a form of Harassment against that student and their right to believe as they wish. I would even argue that the Principal is guilt of breaking the District and School's own rules of the Harassment Policy!
    See Below:
    Harassment
    Harassment, in general terms, is conduct so severe, persistent, or pervasive that it affects the
    student’s ability to participate in or benefit from an educational program or activity; creates an
    intimidating, threatening, hostile, or offensive educational environment; or substantially
    interferes with the student’s academic performance.
    Examples of harassment may include, but are not limited to, offensive or derogatory language
    directed at a person’s religious beliefs or practices, accent, skin color, or need for
    accommodation; threatening, humiliating or intimidating conduct; offensive jokes, name-calling,
    slurs, or rumors; physical aggression or assault; graffiti or printed material promoting racial,
    ethnic, or other negative stereotypes; or other kinds of aggressive conduct such as theft or
    damage to property
    --------------

In Regard to the Principals 'Offense' to "GUNS"

The Constitution is still the LAW of the Land in the United States: The 2nd amendment is still part of the Constitution:
    As passed by the Congress and preserved in the National Archives:
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
    As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, then-Secretary of State
    A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

I know that it's part of the Graduation requirements for 8th grade Students to pass the Constitution Test, so this portion is actually PART of the School Curriculum, so how can it be "offensive" when it is required learning?

-----------

As for the Principal's "Offense" to Country!

As mentioned before, the School teaches the Constitution, which is the LAW of the Land.
    it provides a one minute of Silence in observance to the Attack on our Country that took place on Sept. 11th.
    The School also teaches and recites the Pledge of Allegiance: as stated in the Handbook: All of which are Reflections and Respect for COUNTRY!

PLEDGES OF ALLEGIANCE AND A MINUTE OF SILENCE
    Each school day, students will recite the Pledge of Allegiance to the United States flag and the
    Pledge of Allegiance to the Texas flag. Parents may submit a written request to the principal to
    excuse their child from reciting a pledge.
    See Excusing a Student from Reciting the Pledges to
    the U.S. and Texas Flags.
    State law requires that one minute of silence follow recitation of the pledges. Each student may
    choose to reflect, pray, meditate, or engage in any other silent activity during that minute so long
    as the silent activity does not interfere with or distract others.
    In addition, state law requires that
    each campus provide for the observance of one minute of silence at the beginning of the first
    class period when September 11 falls on a regular school day in remembrance of those who lost
    their lives on September 11, 2001.
    [See policy EC(LEGAL) for more information.]

------------

I also took a look at the School District's Dress Code, and although I did read:
    "The principal, assistant principal, or teachers shall be responsible for the enforcement of the dress code. This code may not apply in every conceivable situation, and when questions arise regarding dress or grooming, the principal will have the final responsibility to determine whether or not the conditions in question are in keeping with the intent of the dress code."

I would have to argue that to Allow the Principal's "Opinionated" Objections to this students' attire to stand....You would also allow that Principal's Opinion to negate a good portion of the Districts' very own Anti-Discrimination and Anti-Harassment Policies; Along with the Rights that this Student has by the very nature of the Constitution!

If this Principal is this 'offended' by the very nature of our Country, it's Laws, and Our Rights within, then I propose this Principal be released from her post immediately so that she may pursue employment in a facility that is more in line with her views, because it seems very clear, based on her objections that she disagrees with the Districts' policies and the Constitution of the United States of America!

Respectfully,

Offline GourmetDan

You're going to have to start suing the crap out of everybody who even thinks about discriminating against you before this sh!t will stop...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
You're going to have to start suing the crap out of everybody who even thinks about discriminating against you before this sh!t will stop...

Ah - the American way. Not happy - sue. Make an idiot of yourself - sue. Be put upon - call in Sharpton and sue.

Sorry, that is the one thing I detest about American culture.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline rustynail

Maybe students could just wear plain clothes and not be billboards.

Offline ABX

What we need to do is start taking America back, one block at a time. Stop waiting for someone 'from the government who is here to help' and do it ourselves. Run for school board, city council, your local HOA, anything. The time to just stand around with signs has passed. Take back our country block by block, school by school, city by city...

Offline ABX

Maybe students could just wear plain clothes and not be billboards.

Wait until the government tells all of us this for the sake of the offended. The Supreme Court ruled that Student's first amendment rights do not stop at the classroom door. The student didn't violate the dress code for that school (as posted in one of the parent's letter's above.).

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Wait until the government tells all of us this for the sake of the offended. The Supreme Court ruled that Student's first amendment rights do not stop at the classroom door. The student didn't violate the dress code for that school (as posted in one of the parent's letter's above.).

Been done. Almost universal school uniforms here. The little sods still manage to be individuals. It doesn't work. Kids don't do conformity well. Nor should they.

Offline Rapunzel

Texas better get their schools back and soon... if it doesn't they will lose the state to the Dems
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
How about half the class turn up in La Raza T shirts?

famousdayandyear

Ah - the American way. Not happy - sue. Make an idiot of yourself - sue. Be put upon - call in Sharpton and sue.

There are a number of things I do not care for in the English culture; but I never felt the need to post something as "get in your face" as this.  You are posting on an "American" site, after all.

Offline ABX

How about half the class turn up in La Raza T shirts?

In one of the middle schools here, that is probably the norm.

Offline andy58-in-nh

I appreciate the impulse, but there is no Earthly reason to enrich trial lawyers any further, so that the people may retain their (a-hem) God-given liberty.

The answer is mass civil disobedience and non-compliance. I believe we will discover that it is the answer to many of the problems presently being created by the hoard of Progressive nannies, snoops, busybodies, scolds, and petty tyrants that has descended upon this nation.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline aligncare

Agreed. Lawyers are killing many aspects of American life, medicine a prime example. And it's no coincidence that the quality of life in America began it's precipitous slide soon after it became legal for lawyers to advertise in the early 70s.

Offline GourmetDan

There are a number of things I do not care for in the English culture; but I never felt the need to post something as "get in your face" as this.  You are posting on an "American" site, after all.

Yeah, we can see what a bang-up job the Brits have done with their culture now can't we?

They are much further down the rabbit-hole than we are...

Offline GourmetDan

I appreciate the impulse, but there is no Earthly reason to enrich trial lawyers any further, so that the people may retain their (a-hem) God-given liberty.

The answer is mass civil disobedience and non-compliance. I believe we will discover that it is the answer to many of the problems presently being created by the hoard of Progressive nannies, snoops, busybodies, scolds, and petty tyrants that has descended upon this nation.

You can advocate for mass civil disobedience if you want to but that will enrich a whole lot more lawyers and disrupt a lot more lives than suing these fools ever will...

Offline andy58-in-nh

You can advocate for mass civil disobedience if you want to but that will enrich a whole lot more lawyers and disrupt a lot more lives than suing these fools ever will...

It costs nothing to say "no". Refuse to comply. Refuse to pay fines. Tell the courts we do not recognize their authority under the Constitution. Do it in groups. Do it in the streets. Force mass arrests - there's nowhere to put all of us. What are they going to do - suspend civil rights? Ship us all to camps? I don't think so - unless they want a war. At some point, push is going to come to shove. Let's not wait until we can no longer shove back.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

famousdayandyear

It costs nothing to say "no". Refuse to comply. Refuse to pay fines. Tell the courts we do not recognize their authority under the Constitution. Do it in groups. Do it in the streets. Force mass arrests - there's nowhere to put all of us. What are they going to do - suspend civil rights? Ship us all to camps? I don't think so - unless they want a war. At some point, push is going to come to shove. Let's not wait until we can no longer shove back.

Agree.  But consider how bad things have to get before serious civil disobedience will take place.  However, refusal/inability to sign up for "Obamacare" per the individual mandate may be a starter.  The IRS can only take the fine out of your refund--if you have one.  They cannot seize assets by the language of the ACA.  Problem is, Obama tweeks his "law" at will.

Offline GourmetDan

Tell the courts?  How you gonna do that without 'enriching lawyers'?

Force mass arrests?  That gambit's already been played and yes the Nazis put enough people in camps that the rest of them shut their mouths real quick.  The didn't have to ship near 'all' of their people into camps for the rest to get the message.  American won't be any different.

Just say no?  How's that working for ya, Nancy Reagan?