Author Topic: The 10 most polluted cities in the world  (Read 2379 times)

rangerrebew

The 10 most polluted cities in the world
« on: October 24, 2013, 11:52:47 am »

The 10 Most Polluted Cities in the World

Four of them are in Iran

By Noah Rayman Oct. 18, 20139 Comments   

Follow @TIME

A day after the World Health Organization published a report linking air pollution to lung cancer, Quartz has put together a list of the most polluted cities in the world, based on data from the same organization. While the list originally came out this Spring, it’s an important reminder given the recent health news.

At the top? The city of Ahwaz, in Western Iran. With a population of more than three million, it is also the capital of the Khuzestan Province, which produces most of Iran’s oil. Like the other cities in the WHO’s top ten, it is a center of heavy industry.

Here are the ten most polluted cities, ranked by the amount of airborne particles less than 10 micrometers in diameter per cubic meter of outdoor air:

1. Ahwaz, Iran

2. Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

3. Sanandaj, Iran

4. Ludhiana, India

5. Quetta, Pakistan

6. Kermanshah, Iran

7. Peshawar, Pakistan

8. Gaborone, Botswana

9. Yasouj, Iran

10. Kanpur, India

[Quartz]

Read more: http://science.time.com/2013/10/18/the-10-most-polluted-cities-in-the-world/#ixzz2idh96ecH

Its interesting how they are places where education is, at best, marginal and yet in America our system continues to move downward. :pondering:  A correlation between education freedom and pollution?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: The 10 most polluted cities in the world
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 12:13:47 pm »
All mining and smelting towns, off the top of my head, most with very large coal fired power plants and minimal pollution control.

You note there are no China cities on the list, though there certainly should be, so data may be incomplete. You have seen the news stories of the ultrasmog this last week!

Its interesting how they are places where education is, at best, marginal and yet in America our system continues to move downward. :pondering:  A correlation between education freedom and pollution?

Yep - the very obvious one. The more education a person has, the less likely they are going to be working in a steelworks or an opencast mine. Raw materials have to come from somewhere, so acquisition is transferred to countries where there are 30 people clamoring for each tough and dirty and dangerous job.
In a generation, the list will have totally changed again, probably with more African cities on the list and fewer of the subcontinent.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 01:13:46 pm »
CHINA: Continued heavy smog has forced officials to close all expressways in China’s northeastern Heilongjiang province, along with schools and a major airport. Visibility in downtown Harbin has dropped to about 65 feet.

More at WSJ
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 01:34:38 pm »
And yet, the so-called "environmentalists" continue to try to destroy the US economy because we, supposedly are responsible for all the pollution in the world....
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 01:42:33 pm »
Thanks mountaineer! The exact story I was thinking of, but searching time is limited today.

And yet, the so-called "environmentalists" continue to try to destroy the US economy because we, supposedly are responsible for all the pollution in the world....

The case could be made. Not just the USA by any stretch - but Western civilization as a whole. We outsourced most of our dirty, dusty, polluting jobs - basically we outsourced most of our pollution to countries that are running at full speed trying to get to a comparable standard of living as we have.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 01:52:50 pm »
Thanks mountaineer! The exact story I was thinking of, but searching time is limited today.

The case could be made. Not just the USA by any stretch - but Western civilization as a whole. We outsourced most of our dirty, dusty, polluting jobs - basically we outsourced most of our pollution to countries that are running at full speed trying to get to a comparable standard of living as we have.

I don't know as much about Europe, but we also CLEANED UP our pollution.

As an Ohio native, I swam in a filthy Lake Erie, read about the Cuyahoga River catching fire, and lived near the Mahoning River that had a hotter annual temperature than the Amazon.

And yet, after all the decades of clean-up we are still being blamed for the world's woes.

The left continues to lie about pollution and cover up REAL pollution in order to destroy us.

And now we have a Marxist President who is moving outside the law to make sure America is punished for what it ISN'T doing.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 01:53:13 pm by musiclady »

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 02:34:45 pm »
I did say the case could be made, not should be made.  :laugh:

We did exactly the same. Heck, you can even catch none mutant fish in the Thames now!

Spent time, effort, and money cleaning up - meaning there is very little pollution left, and most pollution that happens can be controlled. So so do the enviroweenies keep that sweet government money  and their cushy jobs?

Part of it is the move towards the AGW thing. That keeps the cash tap turned on full. Part is going for more and more stringent energy standards (some of which I approve of, especially high efficiency appliances. Electricity isn't getting any cheaper). But the big way they keep the tap on is "fairness and green."

The green crap bugs me the most of all of it, as it is a natural offshoot of conservatism that got hijacked. Remember when the National Geographic and the Sierra Club were mostly conservative? I do.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 02:36:14 pm by EC »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 02:40:09 pm »
I did say the case could be made, not should be made.  :laugh:

We did exactly the same. Heck, you can even catch none mutant fish in the Thames now!

Spent time, effort, and money cleaning up - meaning there is very little pollution left, and most pollution that happens can be controlled. So so do the enviroweenies keep that sweet government money  and their cushy jobs?

Part of it is the move towards the AGW thing. That keeps the cash tap turned on full. Part is going for more and more stringent energy standards (some of which I approve of, especially high efficiency appliances. Electricity isn't getting any cheaper). But the big way they keep the tap on is "fairness and green."

The green crap bugs me the most of all of it, as it is a natural offshoot of conservatism that got hijacked. Remember when the National Geographic and the Sierra Club were mostly conservative? I do.

Yes indeed.  The movement was hijacked by people whose sympathies are red, not green.

Conservatives conserve.

It's who we are, for heaven's sake.

How could the left so deftly steal the word "conservation" from conservatism?    :shrug:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 02:51:56 pm »
Yes indeed.  The movement was hijacked by people whose sympathies are red, not green.

Conservatives conserve.

It's who we are, for heaven's sake.

How could the left so deftly steal the word "conservation" from conservatism?    :shrug:

They are incredibly practiced at redefining words! First they defined big industrialists as robber barons who would do anything for a dollar. Sadly, there was some (or a lot of in a few cases) truth in that, so the people believed it. Then they defined the robber barons as puppet masters of the right. Less truth, but believable - after all, they were right the first time.

At the same time, they began - slowly and cautiously - to infiltrate every organization which had anything even vaguely to do with production and pollution. I honestly think they exceeded their aims here - it has been a hugely effective replacement for the increasingly irrelevant unions, and no one could have predicted it at the time.

Pull in a few powerful ad campaigns as people watched TV more and more. You recall your first TV? It was sitting there, showing you the world and wondrous sights that you had never seen before. The programming was top notch, intelligent, interesting and fun. And a lot of it was nature programs.

Pay for a few dodgy and poorly conducted studies, and we are now in the late 60s. Tap in to the whole hippy culture. Most disapproved, but it was on the news night after night, and what your parents shout at the TV about is very attractive to teens.