Author Topic: Boy with toy gun shot and killed by Calif. deputies  (Read 12985 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Boy with toy gun shot and killed by Calif. deputies
« on: October 24, 2013, 04:17:59 am »
http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/calif-sheriffs-deputies-shoot-kill-13-year-old

Boy with toy gun shot and killed by Calif. deputies

5 hr ago

A 13-year-old California boy carrying a replica of an assault rifle was shot and killed by sheriff's deputies who believed the gun was real.

SANTA ROSA, Calif. — Northern California sheriff's deputies have shot and killed a 13-year-old boy after repeatedly telling him to drop what turned out to be a replica assault rifle, sheriff's officials and family members said.

This image, released by the Sonoma County Sheriff's Department, shows a replica gun that was being carried by a 13-year-old boy in Santa Rosa, Calif., on Tuesday, Oct. 22.

Two Sonoma County deputies on patrol saw the boy walking with what appeared to be a high-powered weapon Tuesday afternoon in Santa Rosa, sheriff's Lt. Dennis O'Leary said.

The replica gun resembled an AK-47 with a black magazine cartridge and brown butt, according to a photograph released by the sheriff's office. Deputies would only learn after the shooting that it was a replica, according to O'Leary. It was not clear whether it could fire projectiles such as pellets or BBs.

Rodrigo Lopez identified the boy as his son, Andy, to a newspaper and said the young teen was carrying a toy gun that belonged to a friend.

After spotting the boy, the deputies called for backup and repeatedly ordered him to drop the gun, O'Leary said in a news release. It wasn't clear whether he pointed the replica assault rifle at thedeputies or made any type of threatening gesture. The sheriff's office referred calls to the Santa Rosa Police Department, which scheduled a 3 p.m. news conference to address the shooting.

O'Leary said the deputies fired several rounds from their handguns immediately after issuing the orders to drop the rifle.

A neighbor in the area, Brian Zastrow, told the Santa Rosa Press Democrat he heard seven shots.

"First, I heard a single siren and within seconds I heard seven shots go off, sounded like a nail gun, is what I thought it was," he said.

The boy fell to the ground on top of the rifle, according to O'Leary. He said the deputies ordered him to move away before approaching him and putting him in handcuffs.

They began administering first aid and called for paramedics, who pronounced him dead at the scene. Deputies also found a plastic handgun in the boy's waistband, O'Leary said. The deputies, who have not been identified, have been placed on administrative leave, which is standard after a shooting, O'Leary said.

Community members left candles, teddy bears and flowers at the edge of the field where the teen was shot and questioned deputies' decision to open fire.

"I'm sure you can tell he's a 13-year-old boy," Abrey Martin told KGO-TV. "He's not some maniac."

In a statement, Sheriff Steve Freitas said the shooting was a "tragedy" and he would do everything he could to ensure the investigation was thorough and transparent.

"As a father of two boys about this age, I can't begin to imagine the grief this family is going through," he said.

Rodrigo Lopez told the Press Democrat he last saw his son Tuesday morning.

"I told him what I tell him every day," he said in Spanish. "Behave yourself."

The family was back at their mobile home Tuesday night after identifying the boy's body, the Press Democrat reported.

The newspaper quoted the boy's mother, Sujey Annel Cruz Cazarez, as saying, ""Why did they kill him? Why?"

Andy Lopez had recently attended Lawrence Cook Middle School, where assistant principal Linsey Gannon said he played trumpet in the band.

"Andy was a very loved student, a very popular, very handsome young man, very smart and capable,'" she said Wednesday. "Our community has been rocked by his loss.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Cincinnatus

Re: Boy with toy gun shot and killed by Calif. deputies
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 04:38:58 am »
This is terribly sad for everyone involved, the boy, his family, the cops.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Carling

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 04:51:48 am »
This is terribly sad for everyone involved, the boy, his family, the cops.

Eff the cops until I get more details.  Why did they shoot him?  Obviously the kid couldn't have fired any shots at them.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 04:52:32 am by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 05:04:41 am »
Carling, in AZ 12 year old shot and killed a teacher. Today a 14 year old did the same in MA. Cops are probably more aware of these killings than most. Children can kill. They know it and must protect themselves. And if you think these police officers took pleasure or are indifferent to what has happened you are living in a very unpleasant fantasy world.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 05:29:41 am »
Eff the cops until I get more details.  Why did they shoot him?  Obviously the kid couldn't have fired any shots at them.

The weapon in the picture looks pretty real to me. Sometimes you have to make really tough choices, and sometimes it ends up being the wrong one.

Offline Carling

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 11:47:08 pm »
Carling, in AZ 12 year old shot and killed a teacher. Today a 14 year old did the same in MA. Cops are probably more aware of these killings than most. Children can kill. They know it and must protect themselves. And if you think these police officers took pleasure or are indifferent to what has happened you are living in a very unpleasant fantasy world.

It was a toy gun, and the kid wasn't shooting it.  Boo hoo for the cops who shot the defenseless child.

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 11:52:00 pm »
It was a toy gun, and the kid wasn't shooting it.  Boo hoo for the cops who shot the defenseless child.
It was a pellet gun and looked like the real thing. No orange tip to denote a toy. They told him to put it down twice and he didn't he pointed it toward them.

What would you have done? :shrug:

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline Carling

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 12:02:42 am »
It was a pellet gun and looked like the real thing. No orange tip to denote a toy. They told him to put it down twice and he didn't he pointed it toward them.

Held my fire and taken a defensive position.  Certainly not blast away a 13 year-old boy.  Maybe the fact the boy was Mexican means it's OK for the cops to shoot him?   :shrug:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 12:04:01 am »
Actually I was wondering if the boy perhaps did not speak English and understand what the police we telling him to do.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 12:07:19 am »
Actually I was wondering if the boy perhaps did not speak English and understand what the police we telling him to do.

I think you may be onto something.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 12:09:20 am »

The article above says it is "not clear" whether the teen pointed the gun at the cops. 

The main directive in today's police departments is to make sure the cops themselves are protected.  So they seem to have adopted the position of shooting at the slightest provocation.  No doubt these lawmen will say the kid pointed the gun at them; he's dead, so there's no one to contradict them.   Incidents like these undermine the credibility of the police.  Now these two hot dogs have the blood of a young kid who had a toy gun on their hands. 

He got shot because there wasn't a dog around to shoot.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 12:11:01 am »
Actually I was wondering if the boy perhaps did not speak English and understand what the police we telling him to do

Possibly, but surely he understood the police were aiming guns at him and screaming something. The normal human reaction would be to put your hands up in the air.

This, btw, is pathetic and scraping the bottom of the racist cess pool in order to make a point: Maybe the fact the boy was Mexican means it's OK for the cops to shoot him

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 12:18:21 am »
Whoops, I misspoke. This, btw, is pathetic and scraping the bottom of the racist cesspool in order to make a point

Maybe in terms of racism but for scraping the bottom of the cesspool, this beats him hands down.

So they seem to have adopted the position of shooting at the slightest provocation...Now these two hot dogs have the blood of a young kid who had a toy gun on their hands. 

Libelous and offered, as usual, with absolutely no proof of any kind.

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 12:19:04 am »
The article above says it is "not clear" whether the teen pointed the gun at the cops. 

The main directive in today's police departments is to make sure the cops themselves are protected.  So they seem to have adopted the position of shooting at the slightest provocation.  No doubt these lawmen will say the kid pointed the gun at them; he's dead, so there's no one to contradict them.   Incidents like these undermine the credibility of the police.  Now these two hot dogs have the blood of a young kid who had a toy gun on their hands. 

The police officer interviewed today said he did. Plus they said if it was a real AK it would penetrate the vests and the car's doors

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 12:20:14 am »

Unless he was a recent illegal import, he was likely scared to death at the show of force when he knew he was carrying a toy gun.

More and more, police departments are populated by roided-up, trigger-happy high school graduates who are in severe need of major anger management. 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 12:25:54 am »
The police officer interviewed today said he did. Plus they said if it was a real AK it would penetrate the vests and the car's doors

Of course he did.  There's no one around to contradict him.

Do you wonder why two strapping adult lawmen needed BACKUP to confront a teenager?   

Don't call the cops unless you absolutely HAVE TO. Arm up and defend your own domain.   

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 12:44:17 am »
How do you guys feel about small recording devices being mandatory for police to carry?

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 12:45:56 am »
Anyone who is dumb enough to point a weapon, real or fake, at a police officer, is likely going to get shot.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 01:03:01 am »
How do you guys feel about small recording devices being mandatory for police to carry?

If you're going to trust law enforcement to enable these devices, forget it. 

That's why it's always a good thing for bystanders to fire up their Android phone video cameras when cops come on the scene. 

Last week, a cop in Dallas shot a mentally ill man who was holding a knife but never raised his hands in a threatening manner.  The cop who shot the man said, in an affidavit, "The suspect advanced with arms raised in a threatening manner."  Luckily, a neighbor videoed the encounter and the cop will likely be fired and brought up on charges.

Offline Carling

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 01:03:31 am »

Thankfully, police never lie or act above the law.

This matter is settled.  Carry on, Amurrrrrica...   :patriot:

Offline Carling

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2013, 01:04:24 am »
If you're going to trust law enforcement to enable these devices, forget it. 

That's why it's always a good thing for bystanders to fire up their Android phone video cameras when cops come on the scene. 

Last week, a cop in Dallas shot a mentally ill man who was holding a knife but never raised his hands in a threatening manner.  The cop who shot the man said, in an affidavit, "The suspect advanced with arms raised in a threatening manner."  Luckily, a neighbor videoed the encounter and the cop will likely be fired and brought up on charges.

This can't be true.  Police are honest and never lie.   :police: :pondering:

Offline Carling

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2013, 01:05:45 am »
Plus they said if it was a real AK it would penetrate the vests and the car's doors

Plus, if it were nuclear bomb, it would have killed hundreds, if not thousands of people.

Or, if it were a fake gun, it would kill no one.  I'd shoot first, lie later, if I were a cop, too.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2013, 01:07:48 am »
Anyone who is dumb enough to point a weapon, real or fake, at a police officer, is likely going to get shot.

Yeah.  A scared teenager gets pumped with four slugs because two hot shots can't wait to determine if the kid REALLY WAS threatening them.

I hope the sonofabitch who shot this teenager is tormented for the rest of his miserable life by what he's done.

Offline Carling

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2013, 01:15:33 am »

I hope the sonofabitch who shot this teenager is tormented for the rest of his miserable life by what he's done.

I hope he's fired and serves time in jail, but that will never happen, because cops are allowed to murder innocent kids because they may be carrying a gun.  I took hunter's safety at age 13.  Seems hypocritical of me to see so-called conservatives protecting the police in this instance.

One of them has already used the race card, though, so nothing surprises me anymore.  The far right and the far left have much more in common with each other than either of them can see from the outside.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 01:22:16 am by Carling »

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2013, 01:22:08 am »
Funny how some will try, convict, and execute a police officer despite not having a clue what happened.

A kid here in Texas brought a pellet gun to school, but it looked exactly like a 9mm S&W.  When he was confronted by two officers, they ordered him to put it down numerous times, but when he pointed it at them, they fired first and killed him.  It was ruled a justified shooting by the department and grand jury.  Nearly every witness backed the officers because to everyone, it appeared the gun was real.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton