Author Topic: Boy with toy gun shot and killed by Calif. deputies  (Read 13026 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Boy with toy gun shot and killed by Calif. deputies
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2013, 12:54:06 pm »
Ah yes. A nice neat, tidy story with all the loose ends closed up. Of course what else could one expect given a day to get it all cleaned up. Almost causes one to overlook the fact a 13 year old with a toy gun was shot dead. The cops should be commended for their stealthy tactics. The kid never even got off a shot thus totally avoiding the threat to the cops, their vehicle and the surrounding neighborhood from the plastic rounds the menace in a hoodie was packing.

Perhaps we should be lucky the poor kid was not Black.....one that could look like Obama's nephew.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 12:54:32 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline aligncare

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2013, 01:37:24 pm »
The deputies' statements will back up their actions in this case. That's a given. However, I see no reason to think the department will cover up anything after a full investigation if the events turn out to be different than what the officers said.

Just one more caveat, though. Someone made a comment up thread, that the extreme left and extreme right share some things in common. I believe that. I believe that commonality is the shared belief that it is prudent to always "question authority." That's a mantra I learned when I was part of the antiwar movement in the 60s. I believe that still applies today. The Obama administration comes to mind.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2013, 01:46:36 pm »
The deputies' statements will back up their actions in this case. That's a given. However, I see no reason to think the department will cover up anything after a full investigation if the events turn out to be different than what the officers said.

Just one more caveat, though. Someone made a comment up thread, that the extreme left and extreme right share some things in common. I believe that. I believe that commonality is the shared belief that it is prudent to always "question authority." That's a mantra I learned when I was part of the antiwar movement in the 60s. I believe that still applies today. The Obama administration comes to mind.

This is the essence of it.  To be able to question authority is to have the freedom to do so.  Once that goes, you become a serf or a slave.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2013, 02:09:27 pm »
What the officers have already said is incriminating enough. We already know that the kid did not aim what they supposedly thought was an AK in a threatening manner. How do we know that? Because, if that were the case they would certainly have said so. The best they can come up with is that the kid turned and the toy was turning in their direction. So, what does that mean? As the boy was turning the toy was turning in their direction. Even if we accept that they thought it was a real AK where is the threat that justifies a barrage of bullets? As the kid turns, the ‘weapon’ was turning in their direction? Where else would it be turning to? Earlier statements by the deputy said the ‘weapon’ was in one hand, the left hand. Contrast this scenario with one that could actually be perceived as a threat. Kid turns, raises rifle to shoulder, two hands on weapon and aiming at the deputy. See the difference. Obviously, it would have been best if the kid put down what he was carrying. Is it so shocking the 13 yo didn’t appreciate what was happening? Sounds more like a bad shoot to me vs a justifiable killing.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2013, 03:02:20 pm »
Look for a National campaign to outlaw toy guns....PERIOD!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline olde north church

« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2013, 03:04:00 pm »
Just for kicks, hit the FBI stats page for officers killed in the line of duty by firearm, 2012.  Compare to "civilian".  I'll take the body armor and donut any day of the week.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2013, 03:05:13 pm »

Jean Shepherd had a great story that started with a blue hair and a button that said "Disarm the Toy Industry!"
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2013, 03:16:39 pm »

It would probably be better to disarm some LEO that are not properly trained or don't have the aptitude for their work

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2013, 03:18:59 pm »
It would probably be better to disarm some LEO that are not properly trained or don't have the aptitude for their work

:beer:

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2013, 04:19:50 pm »
This is the essence of it.  To be able to question authority is to have the freedom to do so.  Once that goes, you become a serf or a slave.

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.” ― Voltaire

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2013, 04:38:21 pm »
Today we learn that 8 shots fired by the deputy were within 10 seconds of their first report of a suspicious person (according to the police's own time line) and all shots fired came from one deputy meaning the other one may not have seen cause to shoot. Something way wrong here

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2013, 04:44:22 pm »
Today we learn that 8 shots fired by the deputy were within 10 seconds of their first report of a suspicious person (according to the police's own time line) and all shots fired came from one deputy meaning the other one may not have seen cause to shoot. Something way wrong here

8 shots? That's ridiculous.

rangerrebew

« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2013, 06:01:59 pm »

The main directive in today's police departments is to make sure the cops themselves are protected. 

I'm not trying to hijack the thread but this is the VERY reason people need weapons; the cops are not there to protect the citizens first, they are protecting themselves and helping the citizen IF THEY CAN. :pondering:

Offline Carling

« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2013, 06:08:14 pm »
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/marchers-protest-calif-deputys-shooting-boy-20668711

Residents of a Northern California community expressed skepticism Thursday about a sheriff's deputy's decision to shoot a popular 13-year-old boy who was carrying a pellet gun that looked like an assault rifle.

A preliminary autopsy report released Thursday said Andy Lopez was shot seven times, and the two fatal wounds were in his right hip and the right side of his chest.

The final autopsy results won't be ready for several weeks.

Meanwhile, hundreds of people marched more than 3 miles from Santa Rosa City Hall to the field where Andy Lopez was killed Tuesday afternoon. Some lit candles and placed flowers at a makeshift memorial with printed pictures of the victim, stuffed animals and a balloon that read "RIP Andy L." An Aztec dance performance followed the march.

"It's very tragic and sad. It just happened so quick," said Noel Nunez, 15, a sophomore at nearby Elsie Allen High School. Still, he said deputies should have been able to tell the difference between a real gun and a replica weapon.

A Sonoma County sheriff's deputy twice told the boy to drop the weapon, but he instead raised it in the deputy's direction, police said at a news conference Wednesday.

"The deputy's mindset was that he was fearful that he was going to be shot," said Santa Rosa police Lt. Paul Henry, whose agency is investigating the shooting in the suburban town of roughly 170,000 people. It's about 50 miles northwest of San Francisco in California's wine country.

The gun looked just like an AK-47 assault rifle, with a black body and ammunition magazine, and a brown butt and grip. Only after the shooting did deputies realize it was a plastic replica, authorities said.

"Nobody should die for a misunderstanding, especially not a young boy who hasn't even started his life. It's just really sad knowing that," said Viviany Diaz Agirra Torres, 17. Torres said she wanted to know whether police gave Andy time to put the gun down before opening fire.

Hundreds of community members marched Wednesday night to remember the teen and protest the shooting, chanting "We need justice," the Press Democrat of Santa Rosa reported.

Police said two deputies were riding in a marked patrol vehicle and were in uniforms when they spotted Andy in a hooded sweatshirt and shorts at 3:14 p.m. Tuesday. His back was turned toward the deputies, and they did not realize he was a boy.

One of the deputies saw what appeared to be an assault rifle similar to an AK-47 in the teen's left hand. The deputies pulled over and took cover behind one of the vehicle's doors, according to police.

A witness reported seeing the patrol car's overhead emergency lights turn on and hearing the chirp of a siren, police said.

One of the deputies twice ordered Andy to drop the weapon, according to a witness, police said.

The teen was about 20 or 30 feet away from the deputies with his back toward them when he began turning around with what one deputy described as the barrel of the rifle rising up and turning in his direction, police said.

One deputy then fired several rounds, striking the boy at least once, Henry said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Investigators said they believe eight rounds were fired. The timeline released by Santa Rosa police says those shots were fired within 10 seconds of the deputies' first report of a suspicious person.

At Wednesday's news conference, Santa Rosa police displayed the pellet gun alongside a real AK-47. The two appeared strikingly similar.

Deputies also found a plastic handgun in the boy's waistband, police said.

The pellet gun did not have an orange-tipped barrel like other replica firearms, including the plastic handgun found in the boy's waistband, police said.

The deputies, who have not been identified, have been placed on administrative leave, which is standard after a shooting, sheriff's officials said.

Assistant Sheriff Lorenzo Duenas told the Press Democrat that the deputy who shot the teen is a 24-year veteran and his partner, who did not fire his weapon, is a new hire.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2013, 06:22:53 pm »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Carling

« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2013, 06:30:38 pm »
I keep reading in comments' sections that police officers fear for their lives from being shot at by kids.  I'm wondering when was the last time a Santa Rosa Sheriff's Deputy was fired upon by a 13 year-old boy?   The 24 year veteran cop put 7 bullets in the kid within 10 seconds of calling out to him, while his rookie partner showed restraint.

What is the name of the officer who murdered the kid?  Why can't we get that information, if the shooting was completely justified, as Santa Rosa County LE claims?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 06:32:48 pm by Carling »

Offline Carling

« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2013, 06:31:35 pm »

If the kid was a certain minority, there would be a national outrage over this, marches by the Justice Brothers, and the President would have commented on it by now.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2013, 06:44:42 pm »
I'm not trying to hijack the thread but this is the VERY reason people need weapons; the cops are not there to protect the citizens first, they are protecting themselves and helping the citizen IF THEY CAN. :pondering:

First it was OK to shoot your dogs. Now it is OK to shoot your kids

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2013, 06:46:35 pm »
If that police officer did anything wrong or unlawful in his actions he should be punished to the full extent of the law and I will be the first to call for it. However, the problem we have on here is that several posters have already convicted him due to sympathy for the victim and/or the fact the shooter is a police officer. Guilty!

In truth no one on here knows what actually happened though from their posts you might conclude otherwise. If they do know I provided plenty of information on how to contact the proper authorities and provide whatever evidence they have. Gee, I wonder if anyone has taken me up on that. Anyone?

Then, too, I am still waiting for proof of this statement:

Speaking of racism, I've read enough of your comments on Mexican immigration over the years to bias my opinion toward what I think is your real reason for protecting the white officers.

Where's your proof, Carling? Or, failing that, your apology?
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2013, 06:52:03 pm »

What is the name of the officer who murdered the kid?  Why can't we get that information, if the shooting was completely justified, as Santa Rosa County LE claims?

Because stuff like this blows up on social media and they end up having to deal with death threats among other things.

Offline Carling

« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2013, 06:54:28 pm »
Because stuff like this blows up on social media and they end up having to deal with death threats among other things.

The police, ostensibly, are employed by the citizens to keep the community safe.  Will we ever find out the name of the trigger-happy cop?

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2013, 06:57:55 pm »
The police, ostensibly, are employed by the citizens to keep the community safe.  Will we ever find out the name of the trigger-happy cop?

Possibly not if they decide there was no wrongdoing.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2013, 07:00:22 pm »
If that police officer did anything wrong or unlawful in his actions he should be punished to the full extent of the law and I will be the first to call for it. However, the problem we have on here is that several posters have already convicted him due to sympathy for the victim and/or the fact the shooter is a police officer. Guilty!

In truth no one on here knows what actually happened though from their posts you might conclude otherwise. If they do know I provided plenty of information on how to contact the proper authorities and provide whatever evidence they have. Gee, I wonder if anyone has taken me up on that. Anyone?

Then, too, I am still waiting for proof of this statement:

Speaking of racism, I've read enough of your comments on Mexican immigration over the years to bias my opinion toward what I think is your real reason for protecting the white officers.

Where's your proof, Carling? Or, failing that, your apology?

Get off your high horse. No one has convicted anybody of anything. We have courts for that. Reasonable questions and doubts are being raised and it is also reasonable to be suspicious based on the statements being released by the police themselves. Something stinks here. That should be obvious to anyone yhat has their eyes open. If you can't or won't see it, don't criticize those that do

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2013, 07:06:37 pm »

That's right...."NOBODY HERE NOWS WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED...."  So what?  BFD!!

Nobody know WTF happened in Benghazi either, but we sure don't berate posters for prognosticating on the course of events that evening.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2013, 07:12:08 pm »
Seven rounds found at the scene.  Three in the body of the boy, FOUR IN OTHER PLACES!!

In other words, this "veteran" was firing wildly.  What possesses a cop of 24 years to be scared out of his mind because a kid is turning around with a gun and he decides to nearly unload his service weapon,  and the rookie doesn't fire a shot?

An eyewitness says the kid dropped with the first hit, but this hot dog kept firing at him on the ground.

Something is very wrong in law enforcement today.  Itchy trigger fingers are the order of the day, whether at human beings or dogs.   
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.