Author Topic: Darrell Issa to introduce immigration bill  (Read 5212 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Darrell Issa to introduce immigration bill
« on: October 24, 2013, 12:59:57 am »
http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=178039D6-530E-4E27-991B-2B9E24005E43

Darrell Issa to introduce immigration bill
By: Seung Min Kim
October 23, 2013 06:59 PM EDT

Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) is planning to release legislation next week that would provide legal status for six years to undocumented immigrants in the United States, he said in an interview Wednesday.

Issa, an influential Republican who leads the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, described the legislation as a “come-from-the-shadows” effort that would allow the government to do a full accounting of those who are in the U.S. illegally. Immigrants in this new status would be able to travel to their native country while on this temporary visa, he said.

“It’s halfway – and it always has been – halfway between full amnesty and simply rejecting people,” Issa told POLITICO on Wednesday. “I think if we’re going to break this logjam that’s occurred for my whole 13 years I’ve been in Congress, we have to find middle ground.”

Issa’s legislation would be the first bill this year released from House Republicans to provide legalization for the more than 11 million undocumented immigrants. Still, immigration reform faces an uphill battle in the GOP-led House, where conservatives are resisting the type of sweeping reforms that passed the Democratic-led Senate in June.

Issa’s forthcoming legislation takes elements from similar legislation he introduced in December 2003, the Alien Accountability Act. The six-year period is intended to whittle down the undocumented immigrant population into several categories, such as immigrants with family ties to U.S. citizens or immigrants who want to participate in a guest-worker program.

Bringing undocumented immigrants out “of the shadows” would also help the government identify undocumented immigrants with a criminal background, who would be deported from the United States, Issa said.

“If somebody has a nexus that would reasonably allow them to become permanent residents and American citizen, we should allow them to do that,” Issa said. He added: “Our view is that long before six years, people would be in those categories heading toward some other pathway, in a guest worker program, or of course, have left the country.”

The lawmaker added that he was in talks with a “number” of other lawmakers to sign on to the legislation, but declined to provide names. Issa has also written a bill aimed at increasing the number of high-skilled immigrants to the country, which passed the House Judiciary Committee earlier this year.

A spokeswoman for the Judiciary Committee did not respond as to whether the panel’s chairman, Bob Goodlatte of Virginia, will schedule the bill to be marked up.

At an immigration forum on Wednesday, other rank-and-file Republican lawmakers who could be vital to the reform effort in the House signaled some headway on other immigration measures that have been discussed but have yet to be introduced.

Rep. Mike Coffman, who represents a swing district in Colorado with about 20 percent Latino residents, and California Rep. David Valadao, whose district is 70 percent Latino, said they were both working with House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) on legislation for undocumented immigrants who came to the United States as children.

Coffman – a veteran of both Gulf Wars — said the so-called “Kids Act” would integrate parts of a bill he has introduced that would allow young undocumented immigrants to earn citizenship by serving in the military. The Kids Act is also expected to include education requirements.

A Cantor spokesman said Wednesday there is no timetable to release the bill, which has been in the works for several months.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) called immigration reform an “important subject that needs to be addressed,” and while he said he was “hopeful,” he was non-committal on a timeline for bills to be brought to the House floor.

Valadao added that he has had several conversations with the House’s top Republican, and Boehner has told him that he still expects a vote on immigration reform by the end of the year.

“I’m going to do my best to hold him to that,” Valadao said, later adding that “every conversation I’ve had with him tells me that he agrees we’ve got to be part of this conversation.”

Still, despite behind-the-scenes progress on writing new immigration measures, it’s unclear whether legalization bills drafted by Republicans would be able to pass the House, particularly if Democrats withhold their votes. A bloc of conservatives say they will oppose any immigration measure brought to the House floor.

In an interview Wednesday, Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart (R-Fla.), who has been working with other lawmakers on legislation that would deal with the broader undocumented population, said legalization bills will not be able to get support from a majority of House Republicans – required under the so-called Hastert Rule – unless border security and interior enforcement measures were strengthened.

One top House Democrat who has negotiated immigration measures with the Republicans in the past did not rule out providing Democratic votes for GOP legislation, depending on the policy.

“We are open to working with our Republican colleagues on anything so long as it is something real that could move the ball forward,” California Rep. Xavier Becerra, the fourth-ranking House Democrat, told reporters on Wednesday.

Still, other House Democrats were skeptical that the Republicans’ so-called piecemeal approach – which would overhaul sections of the U.S. immigration system in multiple bills, rather than one sweeping comprehensive measure – would work.

Instead, nearly all House Democrats have signed onto a bill that mirrors the Senate Gang of Eight bill, minus its border-security provisions. That legislation has no Republican co-sponsors.

“The idea that that same party who cannot pass anything … is now piecemeal going to do this is a fallacy,” said Rep. Joe Garcia (D-Fla.), one of the chief sponsors of that legislation.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: Darrell Issa to introduce immigration bill
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 01:19:52 am »
Issa is more worthless than tits on a boar.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 01:20:19 am »

Yep........
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline raml

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 04:42:29 am »
Not many sane people come out of California anymore no matter what party they belong to.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 04:49:01 am »
Booyakasha.

What are the Federation for American Immigration Reform, NumbersUSA, and Center for Immigration Studies doing with their donations?

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 05:38:35 am »

Why are tits so incredibly worthless on a boar?

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 07:38:23 am »
Why are tits so incredibly worthless on a boar?
A boar is a male pig and the joke could be explained by a male's inability to lactate, but the real explanation is no cis privileged, hetro normative male wants to see tits on a guy.  It's not as funny if you have to explain it.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 07:39:03 am by Once-Ler »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 08:30:25 am »
So what happens if this bill passes and 20–23 million illegals "come from the shadows" — not the popularly quoted 11 million?

Answer? Permanent democrat control of the federal government, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, New York.

Democrats are going to love Issa's bill.

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 08:37:54 am »
I hope the tea party isn't too tired from stopping Obamacare to light up those DC phone lines, get those petition signatures, consult with the master strategists from TX and UT, begin the winter marches, and threaten to crush their enemies, the GOPe like the insignificant vermin they are.  Hey!  It stopped Obamacare right?  It is sure to work again. :seeya:
If they have not started yet they are behind the pro-amnesty forces.

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 08:40:23 am »
So what happens if this bill passes and 20–23 million illegals "come from the shadows" — not the popularly quoted 11 million?

Answer? Permanent democrat control of the federal government, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, New York.

There is no reason to believe 20 million will want to be citizens.  Many may just want to work and earn a living.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 08:52:24 am »
There is no reason to believe 20 million will want to be citizens.  Many may just want to work and earn a living.

And transfer their earnings back home. Western Union will do brisk business. The giant sucking sound will be that of American money flowing to Mexico to prop up the Mexican economy. Oh, and also that of American wages sinking to new lows as a flood of workers lured by the promise of citizenship stream across the border.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 10:21:28 am »
I hope the tea party isn't too tired from stopping Obamacare to light up those DC phoyne lines, get those petition signatures, consult with the master strategists from TX and UT, begin the winter marches, and threaten to crush their enemies, the GOPe like the insignificant vermin they are.  Hey!  It stopped Obamacare right?  It is sure to work again. :seeya:
If they have not started yet they are behind the pro-amnesty forces.

Have you looked behind your couch?  Maybe you'll find the Tea Party there as well. 

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 02:16:02 pm »

I really don't think the Democrats want complete control (stay with me here). You all know how I feel about the two (one) party system. Without the never ending tug of war they won't be able to keep the wool over the eyes of the people. I think the US split right down the middle, going back and forth, always at war with itself, is exactly how they want it to stay.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 02:25:12 pm »
And transfer their earnings back home.

While collecting as much free government money as possible.

Here's your boys...  "You owe us America!"

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline aligncare

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 04:53:57 pm »
I really don't think the Democrats want complete control (stay with me here). You all know how I feel about the two (one) party system. Without the never ending tug of war they won't be able to keep the wool over the eyes of the people. I think the US split right down the middle, going back and forth, always at war with itself, is exactly how they want it to stay.

You're right about the never-ending tug-of-war between the two parties. However, my understanding of American two-party politics has a problem with this aspect of your reasoning: "... is exactly how they want it to stay."

There is no "they" engineering this back-and-forth. It's just a byproduct of the two-party system. Nothing more, no conspiring masterminds at the controls of political life, as your post seems to conclude.

it's just that entrenched politicians of both parties simply want to keep their cushy, lucrative jobs, that's all. They don't care about "we, the people." All most of them care about is all the money and prestige to be had in politics.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 07:10:09 pm »

Unfortunately, there are several reasons to want to become citizens with the primary motivation being that citizenship is required for many welfare programs.  Some may want to work to earn a living, but more will learn of the welfare state and desire to suck hard on the government tit. 

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 07:15:14 pm »
Unfortunately, there are several reasons to want to become citizens with the primary motivation being that citizenship is required for many welfare programs.  Some may want to work to earn a living, but more will learn of the welfare state and desire to suck hard on the government tit.

There is no single group of people who are more adept at tapping into our welfare system than these illegal immigrants.  They already get a lot of freebies because all they had to do was have a baby on this side of the border and it doesn't matter if the parent is legal, they start getting food stamps, aid for dependent children, section 8 housing, government/state-paid childcare and much more because of the child/children.   Many work for cash under the table and they do send a lot of that money back to Mexico. 
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline collins

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 08:36:47 pm »
If Issa had just decided to put as much effort into his "investigations" as he appears to have done in trying to pass amnesty - GREAT idea, let's flood the country with Third World immigrants right in the middle of a looooooooooooong recession.

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 06:14:37 am »
Have you looked behind your couch?  Maybe you'll find the Tea Party there as well.
You have me confused with someone else.  I'm not afraid of the Tea Party.  I have been remarking about how ineffectual the Tea Party has been since Newt endorsed Dede Scozzafava and the Tea Party lost its mind.  At the time the Tea Party was pretty good at winning GOP seats but not so hot at taking rat seats.  Now they have been neutered.  What the GOP hasn't co-oped has left the Tea Party with the desire to destroy itself.  They are the new Sicarii.  Rational people watched the shutdown and said the Tea Party is out of touch.  I see no reason to think the the Tea Party will recognize reality and avert disaster as the dream fades from the eyes of American voters.

I'm not afraid of the Tea Party, but they do live rent free in my brain.  I will be happy to eat crow and admit my error when the Tea Party stops a bi-partisan amnesty.  Or if the world ends when the people who are already living here are counted as citizens.

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 06:22:05 am »
Then get rid of the social welfare system.  Isn't that the real problem?  Why preserve it for citizen leaches. 
"How do we get rid of the social welfare system Once-Ler?" you may ask.

You stop funding it. 

Thanks Sen Cruz.   :silly:
Everything is so clear when you simplify down to meaningless phrases.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2013, 12:01:14 pm »
I've been accused more than once of being pragmatic. But, my parents brought me here legally.

So just because the Mexican border is porous we are supposed to throw out immigration standards that historically 'others' have been held to? Where is the fairness in that?

Where's the fairness in Americans unable to find work because of illegals taking their jobs? Where is the fairness in Americans unable to read ads on Metropolitan buses because they're in Spanish?

Where's the fairness in citizen tax payers burdened by costs of social programs for noncitizens?

Where is the fairness?

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2013, 01:51:02 pm »

Where's the fairness in Americans unable to find work because of illegals taking their jobs?

I'd argue that a big part of the lack of jobs is actually caused by companies outsourcing jobs that could exist in the United States. It also doesn't make sense to me that in one breath people say all the illegals want is to suckle off of our government, but in another they say that they are stealing all the jobs. These are obviously hard working people that want to support their families legitimately.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 01:54:06 pm by Liberal_Spy »

Offline olde north church

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2013, 02:43:16 pm »
When Americans start showing up to work in fields, as domestics, mow lawns or shovel sh*t against the tide, I'll be concerned about illegal immigrants taking American jobs.  What the Hell did people think was going to happen as they rode around the Land of Tomorrow and saw machines do everything?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2013, 02:44:42 pm »
I'd argue that a big part of the lack of jobs is actually caused by companies outsourcing jobs that could exist in the United States. It also doesn't make sense to me that in one breath people say all the illegals want is to suckle off of our government, but in another they say that they are stealing all the jobs. These are obviously hard working people that want to support their families legitimately.

Obviously?  How is it obvious?  Do you have some data the rest of us are not privy to?

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2013, 02:49:35 pm »

Obviously?  How is it obvious?  Do you have some data the rest of us are not privy to?

Maybe obvious was too strong of a word. I feel that illegals have given no indication that they just want to live the welfare life. They are coming here from Mexico desperately seeking work. They are willing to work hard doing jobs we don't want to do, and for less than minimum wage. I actually worked with several illegals while I was working as a plumbing assistant, and those guys were some of the most honest and hardworking coworkers I have ever had. These are people just like you and me, and they come here seeking a better life for their families. I would do the same thing in their situation.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 02:55:41 pm by Liberal_Spy »