Author Topic: USS Forrestal (CV-59), the US Navy's First Supercarrier, Sold for Scrap for 1 Penny  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

famousdayandyear

'cuse me while I lose my dinner.  Scrap?  One cent?  Parody right?

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
'cuse me while I lose my dinner.  Scrap?  One cent?  Parody right?

Nope & Nope.

I have no problem with scrapping the ship.  Sadly, she is obsolete.  We cannot preserve every single carrier built.  There just are enough places to put them where they would make enough money for the up keep.  Maintaining a carrier or battleship is extremely expensive.

But at the very least, sell it for something worthwhile.  The steel is of quality we cannot even make anymore.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf