Author Topic: “What was Auschwitz?” “I don’t know…” - The Anchoress  (Read 1953 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
“What was Auschwitz?” “I don’t know…”
October 17, 2013 By Elizabeth Scalia

No rant here, just clear demonstration of our terrifying ignorance and disconnection from our recent past:

Questioner: What was the Holocaust?
American College Student: Um…I’m on the spot.

Questioner: Which country was Adolf Hitler the leader of?
American College Student: I think it’s Amsterdam?

Questioner: What was Auschwitz?
American College Student: I don’t know.

Questioner: What were the Nuremburg Trials?
American College Student: I don’t know.

Questioner: How many Jews were killed?
American College Student: Hundreds of thousands.

Q: What other groups were targeted besides Jewish people?
ACS: The African Americans? Here in the United States they used to discriminate because of skin color…

Q: Where is Normandy?
ACS: It’s over near like England and Germany and all that jazz. It’s not a peninsula, but…

Q: Where is Normandy?
ACS: It’s over by Germany. At least compared to the United States, it’s over by Germany.

Q: Who was Winston Churchill?
ACS: “He was a general, right?”

Q: What is genocide?
ACS: I don’t know.

Q: Is genocide taking place anywhere, today?
ACS: Not that I’m aware.

This is depressing on so many levels. If they are not obliged to by law, our public schools do not teach about the Holocaust, or World War II? I’d love to know if they are aware of the Marshall Plan, the Berlin Airlift? Pearl Harbor? This is pretty recent history!

Watch it to the end. The woman makes her point, very well, and with no acrimony.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V4bmm6yJMw

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/theanchoress/2013/10/17/what-was-auschwitz-i-dont-know/

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mountaineer

Re: “What was Auschwitz?” “I don’t know…” - The Anchoress
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 12:50:57 pm »
Yep, a pretty good reflection of modern public education.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 01:24:41 pm »
All by design. The ignorant are easily misled

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 01:37:56 pm »
All by design. The ignorant are easily misled

Word.

Give you a concrete example. The History Channel. Used to be brilliant, right? Thought provoking shows, well explained by experts in that actual field. If you never watched it, you can substitute the National Geographic channel. Now - aliens, Hitler and other pathetic pseudo clap-trap.

You can't have a populace that is interested in what is going on and what has gone before. Lord forbid they remember history so they don't repeat it! Sooth them with bad reality shows, Z list "celebrity" and a smug feeling of superiority. That is just entertainment. Education is worse.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Relic

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 01:55:22 pm »
Word.

Give you a concrete example. The History Channel. Used to be brilliant, right? Thought provoking shows, well explained by experts in that actual field. If you never watched it, you can substitute the National Geographic channel. Now - aliens, Hitler and other pathetic pseudo clap-trap.

You can't have a populace that is interested in what is going on and what has gone before. Lord forbid they remember history so they don't repeat it! Sooth them with bad reality shows, Z list "celebrity" and a smug feeling of superiority. That is just entertainment. Education is worse.

:amen:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 04:04:58 pm »
Worse, the History Channel has more (so-called) reality shows than actual documentaries anymore. It's like they forgot the name of their network!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 04:10:15 pm »
All the same now.

A history channel that doesn't show history.
National Geographic programs that repeat the same idea ever 6 seconds for the goldfish brained.
Anthromorphic Animal Planet shows. David Attenboro must be pissed.
Cops - enough said.

Remember the days of Life On Earth, Cosmos (obligatory viewing for all the kids!), Lonely Planet?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 08:02:44 pm »
Worse, the History Channel has more (so-called) reality shows than actual documentaries anymore. It's like they forgot the name of their network!

They did have a good program on this weekend about Hitler and his (mis)information machine.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 09:52:37 pm »

Used to be about history.

Now, I think, it's about Pawn shops...........
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 01:41:54 am »
Mr. M and I will watch just about any documentary on the Civil War, WWI or WWII we can find on the History Channel or anywhere else. Programs about pawn shops, Sasquatch hunters, truckers, people who buy junk from storage units or cake decorators just have no appeal.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 02:17:33 am »
What can we expect from a public education system that is now run by people who seem to be intent on indoctrinating their charges that Western Civilization, as created by white Christians, is the most evil philosophy ever introduced upon the humans of the Earth?

Do you actually expect them to _teach_ history from the viewpoint of The West?

What did George Santayana say?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 02:42:50 am »
Mr. M and I will watch just about any documentary on the Civil War, WWI or WWII we can find on the History Channel or anywhere else. Programs about pawn shops, Sasquatch hunters, truckers, people who buy junk from storage units or cake decorators just have no appeal.

I used to watch a show called The Real West, hosted by Kenny Rogers, that I really liked.

Yes, there used to be multiple shows that were actual history and quite interesting.

And even though I'm fascinated by Big Foot,  I'm not really interested in watching people who think they saw him, but didn't actually see him...   ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 02:55:39 am »
The Bastardized History Channel will occasionally run something about history.  99% of the rest is crap.  I do like Pawn Stars, because it makes me laugh, and Ice Road Truckers.  Actually met one of the drivers from the show when he was in town.  A very nice, good Christian man who never avoids his faith on the show.

Anyway, H2 (History Channel 2) still shows more history.

There is a reason why it used to be called the "Hitler Channel" because so much was about WWII.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 03:04:53 am »
I used to watch a show called The Real West, hosted by Kenny Rogers, that I really liked.

Yes, there used to be multiple shows that were actual history and quite interesting.

And even though I'm fascinated by Big Foot,  I'm not really interested in watching people who think they saw him, but didn't actually see him...   ^-^

I used to watch The Real West every morning on History
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 03:05:48 am »
The Bastardized History Channel will occasionally run something about history.  99% of the rest is crap.  I do like Pawn Stars, because it makes me laugh, and Ice Road Truckers.  Actually met one of the drivers from the show when he was in town.  A very nice, good Christian man who never avoids his faith on the show.

Anyway, H2 (History Channel 2) still shows more history.

There is a reason why it used to be called the "Hitler Channel" because so much was about WWII.

I love Ice Road Truckers... talk about being brave.. they earn every cent they make on those runs.