Author Topic: 2 typhoons set to collide over Fukushima around Thursday  (Read 1700 times)

rangerrebew

2 typhoons set to collide over Fukushima around Thursday
« on: October 22, 2013, 05:51:08 pm »
2 Typhoons Set to Collide Over Fukushima Around Thursday

Monday, October 21, 2013 11:04

Arirang News, Oct. 21, 2013: There looks to be two tropical storms, Francisco and Lekima, which are expected to hit the east coast of Japan around Thursday. As the storm may indirectly affect Korea’s weather, our viewers in Korea should check back in for updates as the week progresses.

Korea Times, Oct. 21, 2013: [...] According to the Korea Meteorological Administration (KMA) though, Typhoons Francisco and Lekima will most likely hit Japan [...] Typhoon Francisco [...] packs winds gusts over 169 kilometers an hour. The agency expected that it will head north, but may veer to the East Sea, making landfall near Tokyo. [...] Typhoon Lekima was detected five days later. Though it was small-sized and weak, the KMA expected it may pick up strength and develop into a severe tropical storm (STS). [...] The KMA [...] said the two typhoons could meet. “When two or more typhoons collide, they affect each other’s path and strength. It’s called the Fujiwara effect,” said weather forecaster Hur Jin-ho. “Though we are expecting that they are moving along their own paths, there still is the possibility that the two could change course,” he said. [...]

Now 2 typhoons are set to collide over Japan and Fukushima. Pray something does not happen to that plant because if it does who knows the out come and damage it will cause.  Energy that can destroy the human rce ought not to be made in the first place.  This is why in the future the ONLY energy will be renewable, free energy.  The sun, water, air and so forth.  if not, im not so sure we will be around.  -Mort

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2013/10/2-typhoons-set-to-collide-over-fukushima-around-thursday-2800392.html?utm_medium=verticalresponse&utm_content=beforeit39snews-verticalresponse&utm_term=http%3A%2F%2Fb4in.info%2FtN6S&utm_source=http%3A%2F%2Fus-mg205.mail.yahoo.com%2Fneo%2Flaunch%3F.partner%3Dsbc%26.rand%3Dafp80b4eup6bo&utm_campaign=
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 05:52:13 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: 2 typhoons set to collide over Fukushima around Thursday
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 10:52:32 pm »
Oh good grief.  This is nothing but a bunch of scare tactics by some anti-nuclear sissy.

They've already had at least one fairly strong typhoon pass over the area and it caused no problems.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 10:54:19 pm »
Oh good grief.  This is nothing but a bunch of scare tactics by some anti-nuclear sissy.

They've already had at least one fairly strong typhoon pass over the area and it caused no problems.

The initial damage was caused by a really unlucky earthquake, unless I am mistaken. Those facilities are built to last, and withstand a LOT. I highly doubt the typhoons will do more damage.

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 03:14:00 am »
The initial damage was caused by a really unlucky earthquake, unless I am mistaken. Those facilities are built to last, and withstand a LOT. I highly doubt the typhoons will do more damage.

Precisely.

rangerrebew

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 10:55:04 am »

The problem is they were built too close to the ocean and a hefty storm surge could cause more damage.  What more damage that might be, I'm not sure - but it could. :th_10444:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 12:25:58 pm »
Assuming the plant was built to code (there have been conflicting reports of skimped materials and shoddy construction), a storm surge, no matter how powerful, wouldn't even make anyone on duty inside blink.

Built to last is an understatement. Chernobyl happened 30 years ago and the original containment dome is still mostly intact under the outer coffer cover. There is a fascinating picture out there of part of the core melted and still slowly fissioning. It isn't going anywhere, despite being both hot and totally lethal to approach. IIRC, they got the picture using a robot, since simply standing at the end of the corridor where it is is enough to kill you within hours. It took them two tries. The first robot was fried before it could get a picture. The second got one picture before it was fried.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

rangerrebew

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 01:14:16 pm »
a storm surge, no matter how powerful, wouldn't even make anyone on duty inside blink.

And the Titanic was unsinkable. 00000swimming

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 01:27:28 pm »

Actually - it was. If the crew followed procedures correctly.

Dad did his thesis on the design of the Titanic (used me as a sounding board, not that I was interested, but we did our homework together on the kitchen table). In theory it was unsinkable. More bulkheads and watertight compartments than the Bismark. Double hull both riveted and welded for the maximum combination of strength and flexibility. Two completely separate engine rooms and 17 pump rooms.

All negated by a sloppy crew not just leaving doors open that should have always been dogged closed, but lashing them open. Dad eventually concluded it was down to bad ventilation in the crew areas.

Thanks - not thought of that for years, but I was back at the table doing my biology homework for a few minutes. :laugh:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 04:25:25 pm »
The other thing at play here is this: when two cyclones collide, it usually destroys, or at least significantly harms, both. That's because each cyclone ends up interfering with the circulation of the other, weakening the storms.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 04:47:13 pm »
It's my understanding that it takes a very specific set of conditions regarding air pressure, wind speed, land speed, cloud load and direction - different each time - for two cyclones to be additive.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 10:46:24 pm »

The designers never claimed it was.  A trade publication called the Olympic class "practically unsinkable" or something along those lines.

What killed the Titanic were design flaws such as an undersized rudder and watertight bulkheads which did not go all the way up to the main deck, bad steel and rivets, and for the passengers, not enough lifeboats.  Had they followed the original plan, Titanic would have had 64 lifeboats, one more than would have been needed on that night.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton