Author Topic: British combat photographers only drop camera if enemy fire 'hits close'  (Read 824 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Via NBC: http://photoblog.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/19/20989228-british-combat-photographers-only-drop-camera-if-enemy-fire-hits-close

LONDON – No one is closer to life in the military than the troops themselves, so there are few who can capture their images as intimately.

The British Army employs a small group of combat military photographers – only 37 in the whole army – to capture life on the front lines. The soldiers go through an eight-month-long intensive photojournalism training course before they're turned out into the field.

Up till now, the British Army has largely kept their photographers' work to themselves.

But this week winning entries in the British Army Photographic Competition went on display to the public. The photos show different aspects of army life, operations, portraits, training and of course, the ceremonial duties unique to the British military.

Cpl. Jamie Peters, who once served in the British Army Royal Corps of Engineers, won the overall competition for a portfolio of images he shot during a six-month deployment in Afghanistan. His and his colleagues' images are on display at London's National Army Museum.

''We do get a lot of freedom to interpret how best to show the stories ourselves," he said in an interview with NBCNews.com. "Personally I prefer to cover the life in the army… For instance the 'Sunset Soldiers' were engineers who were there taking down the infrastructure that the guys had set up in that place … and returning it to the land-owner.

"Because I used to be a Royal Engineer, I know how hard these guys work during those operations – working dawn-till-dusk, with full body armor and helmets, really, really tough manual labor — so I sympathized with the guys who were up on top of that roof."

More at link - and the pictures are amazing.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink