Author Topic: Not News. Should Be. Only Two Brigrades Combat Ready  (Read 1338 times)

famousdayandyear

Not News. Should Be. Only Two Brigrades Combat Ready
« on: October 22, 2013, 04:32:12 am »

General Odierno: Only two brigades now combat ready

Army Chief of Staff Gen. Ray Odierno said Monday that his greatest fear is to receive an order to deploy thousands of troops, because the service only has two combat-ready brigades right now.

(Army Chief of Staff Gen. Ray Odierno and Secretary of the Army John McHugh speaking at the annual meeting of the Association of the U.S. Army on Oct. 21 in Washington)

famousdayandyear

Re: Not News. Should Be. Only Two Brigrades Combat Ready
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 03:05:37 pm »
Can anyone provide a rough size estimate of a brigade?  Thanks

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 03:09:17 pm »
Can anyone provide a rough size estimate of a brigade?  Thanks

For US forces, 2500 to 4000 personnel, including support units and logcom.

UK tend to be smaller units, about the 2000 level.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 03:12:46 pm »

Somehow, I am not the least bit concerned seeing stories and/or articles like this.

Always had the feeling that our weapons systems are so advanced compared to other nation's that nukes aren't really necessary.

I realize eventually any nation will require 'boots on the ground' to secure the peace among the people, but as far as responding to a threat?

If they can read a newspaper over your shoulder from orbit....they can incinerate you from there too.

Maybe it's growing up as a child in the 50's, where my B&W television showed me that the inside 30 minutes, the bad guys ALWAYS lost.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

famousdayandyear

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 03:18:50 pm »
Somehow, I am not the least bit concerned seeing stories and/or articles like this.

Always had the feeling that our weapons systems are so advanced compared to other nation's that nukes aren't really necessary.

I realize eventually any nation will require 'boots on the ground' to secure the peace among the people, but as far as responding to a threat?

If they can read a newspaper over your shoulder from orbit....they can incinerate you from there too.

Maybe it's growing up as a child in the 50's, where my B&W television showed me that the inside 30 minutes, the bad guys ALWAYS lost.   :laugh:

Appreciate your view, DC. 

famousdayandyear

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 03:20:13 pm »
For US forces, 2500 to 4000 personnel, including support units and logcom.

UK tend to be smaller units, about the 2000 level.

Thanks for providing an answer to the question.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 03:23:38 pm »
My pleasure!

The reason for the difference is US Brigades tend (though not always) to be self contained units. UK are more mix and match within the regiment. Both approaches have benefits and drawbacks.

Edit to fix a typo. I hate typos.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 03:33:03 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink