Author Topic: Prince George Christening: Archbishop's Message  (Read 724 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Prince George Christening: Archbishop's Message
« on: October 22, 2013, 01:37:48 am »
Via Sky News: http://news.sky.com/story/1157826/prince-george-christening-archbishops-message

The Archbishop of Canterbury has spoken for the first time about the christening of Prince George and the moment he will mark the future king's forehead with the sign of the cross.

In a message released by Lambeth Palace, the Most Reverend Justin Welby spoke of the "great times" William and Kate will have in the years to come.

The 45-minute christening will take place on Wednesday at 3pm at the Chapel Royal within St James's Palace.
A general view of the interior of the Chapel Royal at St James's Palace London's Chapel Royal at St James's Palace

The ceremony will be conducted by the Archbishop in what he called a celebration of "the next hugely important moment" in Prince George's life.

He said: "The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have had so much advice they could probably fill a house with it.

"My message to them would be 'what a treat, what an amazing gift, what wonderful times you will have'.

"A few months ago millions of people around the world celebrated the birth of Prince George. Now we're celebrating the next hugely important moment which is his christening."
Christening of Prince George of Cambridge The ceremony will be a private family occasion and an historic event

The Chapel Royal has been the setting for historic royal occasions ever since the reign of Henry VIII, such as the marriage of Queen Victoria in 1840.

Beneath the ornate Hans Holbein ceiling, the third in line to the throne and future Supreme Governor of the Church of England will be christened George Alexander Louis.

The Eton-educated Archbishop said: "I will mark Prince George with the sign of the cross on his forehead and that's exactly what every priest always does every single baptism.

"It's an extraordinary moment because that is the sign by which we understand this person belongs to God.
Birth of Prince George of Cambridge Kate and William have 'great times' ahead, according to the Archbishop

"There'll be great times, there'll be tough times; there always are with children.

"Through Christening you are bringing God into the middle of it all and I know that when he's in the middle of it all, somehow, it's held in his hands, and that's extraordinary."

Justin Welby also talks about how Prince George's baptism means he joins almost 2,000 million people around the world in what he calls the "family of the church".

But Prince George is entering a family that is dwindling in number. Both Anglican and Catholic Churches have seen a steady decline in the numbers choosing to christen their children in recent decades.
Coin A gold proof kilo coin worth £50,000 struck to commemorate the event

"I don't think it's an entirely bad thing”, explained the Reverend Sally Hitchiner.

"My experiences as a Priest are that people I meet coming forward to have their child christened tend to be more sincere.

"There tends to be a genuine interest in faith and I always thing that being honest in front of your new born child is a good thing."

Rev Hitchiner, who has worked alongside Justin Welby in the past, believes William, Kate and of course Prince George, are in safe hands.

She said of the Archbishop: "He's actually quite normal. He makes a joke when things are funny and he's not afraid to smile if something goes wrong, I would imagine his welcome would be very warm and very personal."

For those wondering - Our press have a pretty strong tradition of not reporting on the children of Royalty or our politicians unless it is a serious event or until they turn 16. This is why you get very little in the way of news about them - as it should be.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink