Author Topic: HHS brings in Verizon to help HealthCare.gov (Big Red to the Rescue)  (Read 2613 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
WASHINGTON — The international telecommunications company Verizon has been tasked with helping the government fix the federal health exchange, USA TODAY has learned.

An informed source in the telecommunications industry said Verizon's Enterprise Solutions division has been asked by the Department of Health and Human Services to improve the performance of the HealthCare.gov site, which is a key component of the Affordable Care Act.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/21/verizon-hhs-healthcare-site-fix/3144761/

Verizon does know what she is doing from a technical aspect. I just hope this Faustian deal doesn't result in being thrown under the bus when the system collapses.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: HHS brings in Verizon to help HealthCare.gov (Big Red to the Rescue)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 12:27:54 am »
If they wanted someone to build a website that worked from day one, they should have hired Amazon.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 12:31:42 am »
If they wanted someone to build a website that worked from day one, they should have hired Amazon.

Or Facebook.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 12:39:40 am »
Or Facebook.

BookFace is crap.  It has so many "under the hood" problems it is laughable.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 12:39:51 am »
or Oceander...lol
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 12:40:02 am »
Hours and hours of meetings are going to be held to bring outside contractors up to speed.  This is only going to delay implementation further. 

Unless the decision is made to tear the whole thing down and start from scratch.  Which will mean at least a year's delay.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 12:45:57 am »
Ever gone to MyVerizon website? Awful. Difficult to navigate. Confusing.

This should be interesting.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 12:47:46 am by aligncare »

famousdayandyear

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 01:01:09 am »
Brooks Law Applies:

Brooks's law is a principle in software development which says that "adding manpower to a late software project makes it later". It was coined by Fred Brooks in his 1975 book The Mythical Man-Month.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 01:03:16 am »
Ever gone to MyVerizon website? Awful. Difficult to navigate. Confusing.

This should be interesting.

It is, without doubt, the most difficult to navigate website I have ever seen and I've seen a few of them!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 01:11:53 am »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 01:18:30 am »
It is, without doubt, the most difficult to navigate website I have ever seen and I've seen a few of them!

I officially can't say I agree with you but let's just say, I won't disagree.  :jail:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 01:20:29 am »
I officially can't say I agree with you but let's just say, I won't disagree.  :jail:

LOL! I understand!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 02:03:22 am »
Interesting that a private company is being called in to bail out a government program most American's do not want..  you would think the fact the government cannot even handle the programming for a website would buy some people a clue you do not want them handling your HEALTHCARE!!!!!!!!
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 02:04:36 am »
Interesting that a private company is being called in to bail out a government program most American's do not want..  you would think the fact the government cannot even handle the programming for a website would buy some people a clue you do not want them handling your HEALTHCARE!!!!!!!!

Yes indeed! But it won't!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 02:16:38 am »
BookFace is crap.  It has so many "under the hood" problems it is laughable.

I defer to your knowledge, though now you have me curious!

All I know is it is fast, has minimal downtime and serves millions every second. Created by an Obama supporter and it pretty much does what you ask it to.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 02:20:06 am »
They should have hired the people from Amazon. Bezos' site serves 20 million people a day and never has a bleep in the process... but I still say the fact they have to turn to the private sector to bail them out "should" ring some bells... ding, ding, ding... hello........ Government is the problem, not the solution... private industry will ALWAYS do it better!
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 02:24:46 am »
They should have hired the people from Amazon. Bezos' site serves 20 million people a day and never has a bleep in the process... but I still say the fact they have to turn to the private sector to bail them out "should" ring some bells... ding, ding, ding... hello........ Government is the problem, not the solution... private industry will ALWAYS do it better!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

famousdayandyear

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 02:57:28 am »
Seems to me Verizon will now have access to all health records, personal data, etc.

Offline ABX

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 03:44:29 am »
Seems to me Verizon will now have access to all health records, personal data, etc.

It actually depends on who has access to the database. I suspect, based on the division of VZ that was brought in, that they will be more focused on performance and traffic issues. VZ isn't a database company but they are king at performance and managing vast quantities of traffic.

IF I were in charge of this, I would bring in VZ for traffic and performance and Oracle (who created PeopleSoft) to manage the database aspect.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 03:51:43 am »
The success of Verizon just goes to show how things change for the better in a vibrant capitalist economy.

Back in the bad old days of AT&T, one component of what became Verizon was an independent phone company named General Telephone & Electronics Corporation, or GTE for short. It was so bad it used to run ads on TV showing one of their execs (an actor, I presume) being pelted with various objects while he apologized for GTE's poor quality and lack of service.

Then came the breakup of Ma Bell, a merger with Bell Atlantic Corp, a name change to Verizon, and now it is the elephant in the wireless room.

This is the company Obama hopes will bail him out, and over time if we follow his economic policies, I suspect he will destroy it.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

famousdayandyear

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 04:03:05 am »
It actually depends on who has access to the database. I suspect, based on the division of VZ that was brought in, that they will be more focused on performance and traffic issues. VZ isn't a database company but they are king at performance and managing vast quantities of traffic.

IF I were in charge of this, I would bring in VZ for traffic and performance and Oracle (who created PeopleSoft) to manage the database aspect.

Yes.  I am familiar with Oracle since I worked in Santa Clara, CA for a startup developing computer-aided-design software (utilizing relational database concepts) in the early 80's.  Larry Ellison capitalized on the theory out of IBM; Oracle was recruiting heavily in those days (orginally named Software Development Laboratories - SDL) if I recall correctly.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 08:26:44 am »

This is the company Obama hopes will bail him out, and over time if we follow his economic policies, I suspect he will destroy it.

In the meantime a PRIVATE company is being used to destroy another PRIVATE sector of our economy - the health insurance carriers.  Color me totally non amused by this,