Author Topic: Revealed: Medal of Honor hero's anger that his request for backup was denied TEN TIMES by officers sitting kilometers away from where he single-handedly fought for seven hours against 60 Taliban  (Read 1310 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Revealed: Medal of Honor hero's anger that his request for backup was denied TEN TIMES by officers sitting kilometers away from where he single-handedly fought for seven hours against 60 Taliban

Former Army captain, William Swenson, 34, received the nation's highest award the Medal of Honor at the White House on Tuesday
    Rewarded for his selfless bravery in fighting more than 60 Taliban during an ambush in September, 2009
    Risked his life three times returning to the 'kill zone' to recover injured comrades
    His repeated calls for assistance were ignored by his commanders who feared involvement would lead to civilian causalities
    In the aftermath, Swenson complained to more senior leaders in Afghanistan and he quit as a result
    On Tuesday Swenson revealed that he now wants to return to the Army

By James Nye and David Mccormack

PUBLISHED: 12:45 EST, 20 October 2013 | UPDATED: 02:59 EST, 21 October 2013

The American hero awarded the Medal of Honor earlier this week for his bravery in fighting off 60 Taliban almost single-handedly for seven hours has spoken of his anger that repeated requests for backup during the ordeal were ignored by his commanders back at base.

Retired Captain William Swenson was awarded the nation's top military medal by President Obama at the White House on Tuesday. The President said that when Swenson’s comrades needed him, he 'was there for his brothers'...'we thank God he was there for us all.'

But now Swenson, 34, has spoken out about his frustration that his repeated – as many as ten - requests for backup were ignored by commanders who feared involvement would lead to civilian casualties.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2469191/William-Swenson-Medal-Honor-heros-anger-request-backup-denied-TEN-TIMES.html#ixzz2iMhV5ADu
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

From the Daily Mail:
Swenson believed the judgment of the officers who denied his calls for fire support had been clouded by pressure from headquarters in Kabul, at the time headed by Gen. Stanley McChrystal, to restrict the use of artillery in an effort to reduce civilian casualties.

This must have been difficult for Capt. Swenson.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 05:07:53 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

famousdayandyear

Correct me if this is incorrect; it was David Petraeus' Field Manual for Counter-Insurgency that 'fathered' the rules of engagement currently putting our troops in the cross-hairs of the enemy (perpetually). 

Offline Cincinnatus

But now Swenson, 34, has spoken out about his frustration that his repeated – as many as ten - requests for backup were ignored by commanders who feared involvement would lead to civilian casualties.

I could not serve in today's Army. It's not just this which impresses me as suicidal for our own troops, but also the administration's response to the Hasan killings and  the way Obama & Co. treated the families of our fallen during the "shutdown". Why Capt Swenson wants to reup is simply beyond me.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I could not serve in today's Army. It's not just this which impresses me as suicidal for our own troops, but also the administration's response to the Hasan killings and  the way Obama & Co. treated the families of our fallen during the "shutdown". Why Capt Swenson wants to reup is simply beyond me.

I'm so seethingly MAD right now I can't even talk about this coherently!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien