Author Topic: Israel awards Bloomberg $1 million 'Jewish Nobel'  (Read 599 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Israel awards Bloomberg $1 million 'Jewish Nobel'
« on: October 21, 2013, 11:11:59 am »
Via Yahoo News: http://news.yahoo.com/israel-awards-bloomberg-1-million-jewish-nobel-104255861--finance.html

JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel on Monday recognized New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg as the first ever recipient of the $1 million Genesis Prize, an award popularly dubbed the "Jewish Nobel Prize."

The Genesis Prize Foundation said Bloomberg was honored as the first winner for his long record of public service and philanthropy.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu will present the prize to Bloomberg early next year in Israel. Bloomberg will then announce to which philanthropic cause he will donate the money.

Bloomberg, whose third and final term as New York mayor is drawing to an end, said he was honored to be the prize's first recipient.

"Many years ago, my parents instilled in me Jewish values and ethics that I have carried with me throughout my life, and which have guided every aspect of my work in business, government, and philanthropy," he said in a statement.

More at link.

Only comment thus far is  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink