Author Topic: New York Today: Gay Marriage Crosses the River  (Read 710 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
New York Today: Gay Marriage Crosses the River
« on: October 21, 2013, 10:57:38 am »
Via the New York Times: http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/21/new-york-today-gay-marriage-crosses-the-river/

Updated 6:31 a.m. | On the day that gay marriages were first performed in New York in 2011, supporters in New Jersey gathered on a pier in Hoboken.

They gazed across the Hudson toward New York.

“We said, ‘Why can’t we have that here?’ ” Hayley Gorenberg, deputy director of Lambda Legal, a gay-rights group, recalled on Sunday.

Just after midnight today, the first same-sex couples were wed in New Jersey.

It was a victory for the movement that was spurred in part by the earlier success in New York.

New Jersey had same-sex civil unions since 2007, but Ms. Gorenberg and others convinced the courts that this arrangement did not give couples full equal rights.

With the addition of New Jersey, the entire Eastern Seaboard from Maryland to Maine now allows gay marriage.

Ms. Gorenberg noted that with so many people crossing state borders, legal same-sex marriage in New York and not in New Jersey created confusion and inconsistent treatment.

Now, she said, “People who live in the tristate area and function in the tristate area – they’re going to be able to harmonize it all.”

I assume Maryland to Maine are solid blue states, though I am slightly surprised at Maine. Always liked the people there - remind me of home. Very much reserved and "You don't bug me, I won't bug you" types.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: New York Today: Gay Marriage Crosses the River
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 04:56:49 pm »
At the barrel of the judicial gun.

It is time for more people to take the Jacksonian approach to activist courts. (Although Jackson himself was wrong on that case.)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 04:57:59 pm by Atomic Cow »
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: New York Today: Gay Marriage Crosses the River
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 11:09:37 pm »
Never understood activist courts being a thing. Surely their job is to interpret the laws, not make them.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink