Author Topic: Black Republican opposing Clyburn in 6th District  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

Black Republican opposing Clyburn in 6th District
« on: October 20, 2013, 08:17:16 pm »
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) - For the first time since 2000, a black Republican is running in South Carolina's black-majority 6th Congressional District.

The Rev. Leon Winn, a Baptist minister and retired small businessman, says the key to defeating incumbent Democrat Jim Clyburn is to convince GOP voters to go to the polls and to convince Democrats not to vote a straight party ticket.

The 58-year-old Winn says race is important because the district was gerrymandered as a black majority district. He says he's targeting younger voters who were not those who first put Clyburn in office more than 20 years ago.

Winn says he'd appreciate any support from the state's black U.S. senator, Tim Scott. But he says he won't press for help because Scott has his own campaign to run.

http://sumter.wistv.com/news/news/78403-black-republican-opposing-clyburn-6th-district

Clyburn is one of the leading intellectuals in the Democrat Party. Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbUq2TJNadE&feature=related
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Black Republican opposing Clyburn in 6th District
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 08:20:20 pm »
Would be nice... don't hold out hope, though.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

famousdayandyear

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 08:45:09 pm »
Would be nice... don't hold out hope, though.

Amazing.  Lived in that district for 10 years.  And if Clyburn's "people" are paying attention--and I have no doubt they are, because they are thoughful by and large--Rep Clyburn should be afraid.  Very afraid.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 08:50:59 pm »
Amazing.  Lived in that district for 10 years.  And if Clyburn's "people" are paying attention--and I have no doubt they are, because they are thoughful by and large--Rep Clyburn should be afraid.  Very afraid.

I would love to see him gone.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 08:53:07 pm »
Rep Clyburn should be afraid.  Very afraid.

I hope you are right, FDaY, though like Rapunzel, I fear a Republican, even if he is black, faces an uphill battle in that district.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

famousdayandyear

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 10:18:09 pm »
Rep Clyburn should be afraid.  Very afraid.

I hope you are right, FDaY, though like Rapunzel, I fear a Republican, even if he is black, faces an uphill battle in that district.

Are you familiar with the Low Country?  Of course the battle is uphill.  Always is.  Ask Ted Cruz.