Author Topic: In 23 advanced economies: US adults rank 21st in math skills  (Read 1512 times)

rangerrebew

In 23 advanced economies: US adults rank 21st in math skills
« on: October 19, 2013, 11:08:24 pm »

In 23 Advanced Economies: U.S. Adults Rank 21st in Math Skills

October 18, 2013 - 4:31 PM

By Terence P. Jeffrey

(CNSNews.com) - The U.S. Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) on Friday released the initial results of an international survey of adult skills in literacy and mathematics, revealing that Americans rank 21st in “numeracy” and are tied for 15th in literacy among adults in 23 advanced economies.

American adults also scored below the average in both numeracy and literacy for all respondents in all 23 advanced economies.

Japan and Finland ranked first and second in both categories and Italy and Spain took the bottom two spots in both.

The international survey--the Program for the International Assessment of Adult Competencies (PIAAC)--was developed by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.

The data from Russia was not included in the initial results, the NCES said, "because they were released too late for publication."

“Numeracy” was defined by the survey as “the ability to access, use, interpret, and communicate mathematical information and ideas, to engage in and manage mathematical demands of a range of situations in adult life.”

“Literacy” was defined as “understanding, evaluating, using and engaging with written text to participate in society to achieve one’s goals and to develop one’s knowledge and potential.”

The survey tested a random sample of approximately 5,000 people ages 16 to 65, using a test that was scored on a scale of 0-500.

In numeracy, American adults achieved an average score of 253 out of 500, nosing out Italian adults who averaged 247 and Spanish adults who averaged 246.

Japanese adults led the field in numeracy, averaging 288 out of 500. They were followed by the Fins, who averaged 282; and the Belgians and the Dutch, who both averaged 280.

In literacy, American adults achieved an average of 270 out of 500. That put Americans well ahead of Italy and Spain, whose adults scored 250 and 252, respectively, but far behind Japan and Finland, whose adults scored 296 and 288 respectively.

The NCES report said that among the American survey sample there were 112 people who were unable to complete even the survey’s initial background questionnaire “because of a literacy-related barrier: either the inability to communicate in English or Spanish (the two languages in which the background questionnaire was administered) or a mental disability.”

How 23 Advanced Economies Ranked in Numeracy:

1. Japan............................288

2. Finland..........................282

3. Flanders-Belgium........280

3. Netherlands..................280

5. Sweden........................279

6. Norway..........................278

6. Denmark.......................278

8. Slovak Republic...........276

8. Czech Republic...........276

10. Austria........................275

11. Estonia........................273

12. Germany.....................272

International average..269

13. Australia.....................268

14. Canada......................265

14, Cyprus......................265

16. Republic of Korea...263

17. United Kingdom.......262

18. Poland......................260

19. Ireland.......................256

20. France.......................254

21. United States..........253

22. Italy............................247

23. Spain.........................246

How 23 Advanced Economies Ranked in Literacy:

1. Japan...........................296

2. Finland.........................288

3. Netherlands.................284

4. Australia.......................280

5. Sweden........................279

6. Norway..........................278

7. Estonia..........................276

8. Flanders-Belgium.........275

9. Czech Republic............274

9. Slovak Republic............274

11. Canada........................273

International average....273

12. Republic of Korea......273

13. United Kingdom.........272

14. Denmark.....................271

15. Germany.....................270

15. United States...........270

17. Austria........................269

17. Cyprus........................269

19. Poland........................267

19. Ireland.........................267

21. France.........................262

22. Spain...........................252

23. Italy..............................250

In the numeracy rankings the difference in the average scores of the adults in Ireland, France and the United States were not statistically significant. In the literacy rankings the difference in the average scores of the adults in the United Kingdom, Denmark, Germany, the United States, Austria and Cyprus were not statistically significant.
..- See more at: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/23-advanced-economies-us-adults-rank-21st-math-skills#sthash.PdPM5rE3.dpuf
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 11:11:28 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Rapunzel

Re: In 23 advanced economies: US adults rank 21st in math skills
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 11:09:49 pm »
Wilkow went into this in depth on his show yesterday.  As bad as our numbers are they would have been worse except us old farts scored really high while the young failed miserably...
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 11:17:50 pm »
  As bad as our numbers are they would have been worse except us old farts scored really high while the young failed miserably...

I'm now retired but when I was teaching, after an 18 year gap between first and second years (thanks to the draft) I had to do some catching up - or so I thought.  I quickly found that my education in the late 60s and early 70s put me far ahead of the students of the 90s and 2000s.    I took the GRE with that 18 year gap and had absolutely no problem passing it.  The same could not be said of younger colleagues.    When my daughter attended college she told me kids in one of her history classes had never heard of the bombing of Pearl Harbor.  We can "thank" our liberal friends for making education equal for most everyone - pathetic. :headbang:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 11:49:41 pm »
I'm now retired but when I was teaching, after an 18 year gap between first and second years (thanks to the draft) I had to do some catching up - or so I thought.  I quickly found that my education in the late 60s and early 70s put me far ahead of the students of the 90s and 2000s.    I took the GRE with that 18 year gap and had absolutely no problem passing it.  The same could not be said of younger colleagues.    When my daughter attended college she told me kids in one of her history classes had never heard of the bombing of Pearl Harbor.  We can "thank" our liberal friends for making education equal for most everyone - pathetic. :headbang:

Oh my God! Don't get me started!

You have absolutely no idea how bad it REALLY is! Most of the professors of history at our august institutions of "higher" learning don't know much REAL history!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 01:43:31 am »
Some of this is due to the political slant in public schools these days.

But some of it is also due to changing demographics and The Bell Curve...

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 05:36:26 am »

Math Education An Inconvenient

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh4GgLPeEME

They pushed this crap on my son from 2nd grade to 4th,  and its as horrible as shown in the video. He didn't grasp the algorithms and we couldn't be much help to him at home because we didn't understand it.    They dropped Everyday Mathematics last year and they were teaching normal algorithms again, but it was what I call popcorn math. Rather than sticking with one topic say long division, starting easy and getting a little harder with each page till they master it then move on to a different topic, what they do is a page of long division, a page of fractions, geometry, multiplication, and so on not coming back to long division until after they forgot how to do it.
This year in 6th grade they are taking college-prep Algebra, which is also taught popcorn style, not allowing them to master anything.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 05:38:59 am »
I feel sorry for these kids, they are going to be so confused.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 03:34:29 pm »
I feel sorry for these kids, they are going to be so confused.

If I had any grandchildren I would do whatever was necessary to assure that they never attended a public school! They really are that bad!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 03:40:17 pm »
If I had any grandchildren I would do whatever was necessary to assure that they never attended a public school! They really are that bad!

I do and I try to help, problem is they are scattered between south Texas and North Carolina.  The bad thing is the one that is home schooled is the furthest behind.

Math-R-Hard though, just look at how well our elected officials add and subtract.