Author Topic: Cruz defiant on stopping ObamaCare  (Read 1512 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Cruz defiant on stopping ObamaCare
« on: October 20, 2013, 01:49:42 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/329469-cruz-i-will-continue-to-do-anything-to-stop-obamacare

Cruz defiant on stopping ObamaCare
By Justin Sink - 10/20/13 09:20 AM ET

A defiant Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) on Sunday said he would "continue to do anything I can to stop the train wreck that is Obamacare," hinting that he could again seek to complicate efforts to pass a long-term budget deal.

Under the agreement signed by President Obama last week, government funding will again run out on Jan. 15. Lawmakers are hopeful they can strike a long-term budget agreement before that date, and Democrats have said they would not support any bill that repeals or delays key provisions of the president's healthcare law.

But Cruz seemed to hint that he would again look to block any legislation that included ObamaCare funding.

"What I intend to do is continue standing with the American people to work to stop ObamaCare, because it isn't working, it's costing people's jobs, and it's taking away their healthcare," Cruz told ABC News.

That pledge comes despite Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell's (R-Ky.) declaration to The Hill earlier this week that the government would not shut down again over ObamaCare.

“One of my favorite old Kentucky sayings is there’s no education in the second kick of a mule. The first kick of a mule was when we shut the government down in the mid-1990s and the second kick was over the last 16 days,” McConnell said. “There is no education in the second kick of a mule. There will not be a government shutdown.

“I think we have fully now acquainted our new members with what a losing strategy that is,” McConnell added.

But a defiant Cruz said he didn't mind antagonizing his fellow senators.

"There's an old saying that 'Politics, it ain't beanbag,'" Cruz said. "And, you know, I'm not serving in office because I desperately needed 99 new friends in the U.S. Senate. Given the choice between being reviled in Washington, D.C., and appreciated in Texas, or reviled in Texas and appreciated in Washington, I would take the former 100 out of 100 times."

The Texas Republican also defended comments he made earlier in the week in which he equated his fellow Senate Republicans to an air force bombing its own troops.

"I think that was unfortunate. I think it was unfortunate that you saw multiple members of the Senate Republicans going on television attacking House conservatives, attacking the effort to defund ObamaCare, saying 'it cannot win,' 'it's a fool's errand' and 'we will lose,' 'this must fail,' " Cruz said. "That is a recipe for losing the fight, and it's a shame."

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Cruz defiant on stopping ObamaCare
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 03:46:56 am »
The 'rats and "mainstream" Republicans must be looking at Cruz with the same trepidation as American communists experienced when they looked at Joe McCarthy!

Go get 'em, Ted!

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 03:58:29 am »
The 'rats and "mainstream" Republicans must be looking at Cruz with the same trepidation as American communists experienced when they looked at Joe McCarthy!

Go get 'em, Ted!

McCarthy was shamed and censured by his Senate colleagues and died a drunk.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 04:28:21 am »
McCarthy was shamed and censured by his Senate colleagues and died a drunk.

To their eternal shame as it turns out Joe was right about nearly everything he said at the time!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 04:32:50 am »
To their eternal shame as it turns out Joe was right about nearly everything he said at the time!

Yep, but you won't hear that taught in school or mentioned in the media.

When the Venona Project was declassified along with some of the old KGB records which the Russians made public, it showed that it was even worse than McCarthy said.

And of course, the left and other obtuse people will never believe it.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 05:05:32 am »

I thought this op-ed last week by Jeffrey Lord really told the story of how so many were ignoring what was right under their nose and Reagan literally stumbled onto the truth and never looked back.

http://spectator.org/archives/2013/10/15/john-sununu-and-the-hijacking

snip....
What was the key difference between Ronald Reagan and the GOP Establishment ? A difference that has surfaced again and again in the divide between the Reagan/Ted Cruz/Mike Lee/Rand Paul/Tea Party wing and the Establishment, as the Associated Press noted the other day. An Establishment represented in the AP article by, yes, none other than John Sununu?

Ronald Reagan understood what the American Left was all about. And there was a reason.

snip...

In Hollywood, this translated into a charge that there was a Communist plot to infiltrate and control American entertainment’s pride and joy — the movie business. Why the movies? In the words of one already prominent actor:

The Communist plan for Hollywood was remarkably simple. It was merely to take over the motion picture business. Not only for its profit…but also for a grand world-wide propaganda base. In those days before television and massive foreign film production, American films dominated 95 percent of the world’s movie screens. We had a weekly audience of 500,000,000 souls. Takeover of this enormous plant and its gradual transformation into a Communist gristmill was a grandiose idea. It would have been a magnificent coup for our enemies.

If, went the idea, Communists could somehow take control of the most powerful communications tool in all of America the Communist world movement would have scored the coup of coups. Hollywood films had a weekly audience of half a billion people around the world. A Communist takeover of Hollywood and its filmmaking capacity would be second only to taking over the U.S. government itself.

snip....

Said Reagan later of this period of his life:

I was not sharp about Communism.… In that era, the American Communists were high on the Hollywood hog, but only by reason of deception. Most of us called them liberals and, being liberals ourselves, bedded down with them with no thought for the safety of our wallets.

snip...

On one occasion, an audience member approached him after his talk and suggested that since he was busy denouncing Fascism, “it would be fair to speak out equally strongly against the tyranny of Communism.” Reagan agreed.

His very next speech found him substituting for the son of the late Franklin Roosevelt, Jimmy Roosevelt. For forty minutes Reagan was greeted with repeated applause from his liberal Hollywood audience as he tore into fascism around the world.

And then… and then.

For the first time in his nascent speaking career, young Ronald Reagan denounced Communism. He wrote of the moment — and the audience reaction:

The silence was ghastly. I stumbled off the stage into the clasp of a friend whose face reflected my own amazement. “Did you hear that?” he whispered.

“I didn’t hear anything,” I muttered.

“That’s what I heard,” he said.

Two days later, I received a letter from a woman who had attended the meeting. “I’m sure you were aware of the reaction to your last paragraph,” she wrote. “I hope you recognize what it means.”

At the moment, Reagan would confess, he decidedly didn’t recognize what that “ghastly” silence meant. But he would. He made it a point to understand — and, as he later said — to stop deceiving himself about the nature of liberalism.

As history now records this launched Reagan into the very heart of Hollywood’s fight with Communism — and eventually the global version of the same fight.

snip...

Becoming president of SAG, Reagan was stunned to find his now staunch anti-Communism brought a threat of an acid attack on his face, the obvious threat being to ruin his actor’s stock-in-trade, his good looks.  .

snip...

The difference between Ronald Reagan and the Republican Establishment is that Reagan’s formative experience with the American Left was an up-close, personally life-threatening straight-into-the-eyes look at what lay at the intellectual heart of the American Left. It was, he realized, all about control. Raw power over the lives of others.

snip...

Beyond Hollywood, as Reagan would later say in his 1964 A Time for Choosing speech that launched his political career, the Left was about “controlling people. And…when a government sets out to do that, it must use force and coercion to achieve its purpose.”

snip....

What is the central difference between the GOP Establishment and those (and others) named above?

The difference — the central and critical difference — is that after decades of left-wing devotion to the hijacking of America, to the idea of transforming it, there are still Republicans and even some conservatives who don’t understand the nature of either their opponents or their opponents’ objectives.

In Reagan’s Hollywood days it was about control of the movie business. In his gubernatorial days the issue was about seizing control of private property at an educational institution. Today it’s about the control of your health care — and one sixth of the American economy.

There is more - much more and I highly recommend anyone who missed it read the entire article.    We either ignore what is under our nose or we fight it while we can.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 05:16:34 am by Rapunzel »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 12:36:10 pm »
Yep, but you won't hear that taught in school or mentioned in the media.

When the Venona Project was declassified along with some of the old KGB records which the Russians made public, it showed that it was even worse than McCarthy said.

And of course, the left and other obtuse people will never believe it.

The diffinative work on the subject!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 06:20:12 pm »

The diffinative work on the subject!

Thanks Bigun..I'm going to add this to my kindle reading list.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776