Author Topic: AP: Barack Obama, Man of Deep Christian Faith  (Read 8458 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
AP: Barack Obama, Man of Deep Christian Faith
« on: October 19, 2013, 11:31:39 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/10/19/Obama-nurtures-his-faith-away-from-the-spotlight

from AP 19 Oct 2013, 6:26 AM PDT

(AP) Obama nurtures his faith away from the spotlight
By JOSH LEDERMAN
Associated Press

WASHINGTON
President Barack Obama is not an overtly religious man. He and his family rarely attend church, and he almost never elaborates in public about his own relationship to his Christian faith.

But away from the public eye, advisers say, the president has carefully nurtured a sense of spirituality that has served as a grounding mechanism during turbulent times, when the obstacles to governing a deeply divided nation seem nearly insurmountable.

Every year on Aug. 4, the president's birthday, Obama convenes a group of pastors by phone to receive their prayers for him for the year to come. During the most challenging of times, prayer circles are organized with prominent religious figures such as megachurch pastor Joel Hunter, Bishop Vashti McKenzie of the African Methodist Episcopal Church and the Rev. Joseph Lowery, a civil rights activist.

Each morning for the past five years, before most of his aides even arrive at the White House, Obama has read a devotional written for him and sent to his BlackBerry, weaving together Scripture with reflections from literary figures such as Maya Angelou and C.S. Lewis.

"I've certainly seen the president's faith grow in his time in office," said Joshua DuBois, an informal spiritual adviser to Obama who writes the devotionals and ran Obama's faith-based office until earlier this year. "When you cultivate your faith, it grows."

Obama is particularly moved by theories that draw connections between biblical themes and the personal journeys of historical figures such as Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King Jr., DuBois said.

He added that the president's spiritual strength is his belief that God will carry him through to see another day even in times of crisis.

"Because of these grounding aspects of his life, he doesn't let the day-to-day challenges really shake him," said DuBois, a former associate pastor at a Pentecostal church.

The image of Obama as someone who draws heavily on faith to guide his daily life contrasts with his public persona.

An intensely private person, Obama has shied away from all but the most general descriptions of his spiritual life.

Obama had to distance himself from his longtime pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, when his anti-American rantings threatened Obama's 2008 presidential campaign.

Persistent and false claims that Obama is secretly a Muslim have followed him even into his second term.

"Sometimes I search Scripture to determine how best to balance life as a president and as a husband and as a father," Obama said in February at the National Prayer Breakfast. "I often search for Scripture to figure out how I can be a better man as well as a better president."

The best clues to which texts fortify Obama's spiritual consumption may come from the daily devotionals that DuBois started sending Obama, then a U.S. senator from Illinois, in 2008.

DuBois ran religious outreach for Obama's presidential campaign that year, and his digital benedictions for Obama have been compiled in a forthcoming book, "The President's Devotional."

"A snippet of Scripture for me to reflect on," Obama has said. "And it has meant the world to me."

At pivotal moments in Obama's presidency, DuBois sometimes selects texts that offer lessons appropriate to the challenges at hand.

Before one State of the Union address, it was the words of Isaiah, in an appeal for clarity of speech: "So shall my word be that goes out from my mouth, it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose."

Others are intended as an oasis from the conflicts Obama confronts on any given day.

"We are hard-pressed on every side, but not crushed. Perplexed, but not in despair," reads a verse from 2 Corinthians that DuBois sent Obama one November, followed with his own meditation: "Dear God, give us a resilient spirit, a spirit that returns to face this day even in the shadow of yesterday's challenges. Help us, today, to bounce back."

In his final years in office, Obama plans to continue with the morning meditations, the birthday call with pastors and ad hoc prayer circles, said a senior administration official, who wasn't authorized to comment by name on Obama's spiritual life and requested anonymity.

In times of crisis, from hurricanes to school shootings, many Americans look to their president as a source of strength and comfort.

"This office tends to make a person pray more," Obama said last year in an interview with Cathedral Age magazine. "And as President Lincoln once said, `I have been driven to my knees many times by the overwhelming conviction that I had no place else to go.'"
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Carling

Re: AP: Barack Obama, Man of Deep Christian Faith
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 11:51:40 pm »
Every year on Aug. 4, the president's birthday, Obama convenes a group of pastors by phone to receive their prayers for him for the year to come. During the most challenging of times, prayer circles are organized with prominent religious figures such as megachurch pastor Joel Hunter, Bishop Vashti McKenzie of the African Methodist Episcopal Church and the Rev. Joseph Lowery, a civil rights activist.

He makes a bunch of pastors call him on his birthday to pray for him?

Does the AP know how insulting that is to most Christians?  He never goes to church, never talks about God, yet he has vanity prayers directed at him on the day he was born?   :silly:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 11:52:06 pm by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline happyg

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 11:55:04 pm »
Some still think he is the Messiah. The closest he comes to religion is a cult, both Islam and himself.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 11:57:45 pm »

Classic White Barf Bags
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 11:58:41 pm »
He makes a bunch of pastors call him on his birthday to pray for him?

Does the AP know how insulting that is to most Christians?  He never goes to church, never talks about God, yet he has vanity prayers directed at him on the day he was born?   :silly:

Nope! They haven't a clue!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 12:28:45 am »
Classic White Barf Bags

Thanks for the barf bag, mystery.

I'm suddenly nauseated............

But I will remind all my brothers and sisters in Christ..

God is not mocked.

This charade of faux Christianity will not stand.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 12:30:18 am »
Thanks for the barf bag, mystery.

I'm suddenly nauseated............

But I will remind all my brothers and sisters in Christ..

God is not mocked.

This charade of faux Christianity will not stand.

:thumbsup:

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 12:53:01 am »
[[ AP: Barack Obama, Man of Deep Christian Faith ]]

AP: News agency up to its ears in lying and B.S.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 12:53:11 am »
To Josh Lederman, Associated Press:

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 01:41:37 am »
I don't think Obama is a Christian, but I also don't think he is a Muslim.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 02:21:47 am »
To Josh Lederman, Associated Press:

Another way to put it..........       :beer:

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 02:26:51 am »
Anyone that can condone the ripping out of a baby from it's mother's womb is not a Christian no matter how loud they profess it...
Support the USO

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 02:29:24 am »
Anyone that can condone the ripping out of a baby from it's mother's womb is not a Christian no matter how loud they profess it...

:amen:
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 02:45:02 am »

I think he is agnostic.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 03:25:07 am »
I think he is agnostic.

He's as Muslim as it is possible to be.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 03:45:26 am »
He's as Muslim as it is possible to be.

In an interview with Nicolas Kristoff - before he became President - he stated the most wonderful sound in all the world is the Islamic Call to Prayer.  He attended a Muslim school in Indonesia and - according to his instructors in the school - was more interested in the study of Islam than the Catholic religion (he was reportedly enrolled as a Catholic student).  His American grandfather and Frank Marshall Davis were both Communists.  The truth lies somewhere in between.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline raml

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 07:27:31 am »
He is not a Christian and anyone who says he is has no idea what a Christian is. He was raised Muslim and I doubt he has ever broken from that cult they rarely do. If you go by actions he is a want to be Muslim but is gay. Muslims may kill gays supposedly and be against them but many male Muslims seem to like young boys and are not taken to task about that. I don't think he practices any faith but his actions lean a bit towards his Muslim upbringing. Christians may pray for him and he can ask us to too. We can pray for anyone but only God can choose to wake a person who is friends with the devil and lead him to salvation so far he hasn't but who knows maybe someday Obama will realize the error of his ways and God will lead him to ask for forgiveness but I am not holding my breath.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 09:26:45 am »
Obama, McCain, Reid, Pelosi, all the Liberals in Congress are persecuting and attempting to shut down any semblance of Christianity in America, and, they support the people in Syria, Paaa-kee-stan, Libya, Egypt, well basically all over the M.E. who are kidnapping, abusing, and massacring Christians every day.

America, under Obama, has become an openly anti-Christian pro-Islam nation. Anyone who believes these people are true Christians is a fool. Their Gods are power and money, nothing more. Religion is laughable to them and is just 'in thier way' of full control of the populace.

Whoever wrote this piece, if they really believe it, is a brainwashed idiot.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

rangerrebew

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 11:03:01 am »
He was raised Muslim and I doubt he has ever broken from that cult they rarely do.

It is also not permissible in islam to leave and go to another religion.  If a person does, they are subject to an "untimely" demise from Islamic "fundamentalists." :2gunz:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 11:04:12 am by rangerrebew »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 12:53:08 pm »
In an interview with Nicolas Kristoff - before he became President - he stated the most wonderful sound in all the world is the Islamic Call to Prayer.  He attended a Muslim school in Indonesia and - according to his instructors in the school - was more interested in the study of Islam than the Catholic religion (he was reportedly enrolled as a Catholic student).  His American grandfather and Frank Marshall Davis were both Communists.  The truth lies somewhere in between.

I think he's an atheist/Communist with strong sympathies to Islam and hatred of Christianity.

I believe that we, as Conservative Christians, are, in his confused, angry mind and soul, his greatest enemies.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2013, 12:58:08 pm »
Well.....I got as far as "Associated Press".    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2013, 01:00:59 pm »

He's Muslim.  A Reptilian Muslim. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2013, 01:01:16 pm »
I'll not judge a person's religion. Unlike God, I can't see hearts, just actions.

Having said that - I am gonna judge. It is Sunday, and I'll confess it later .....  :laugh:

Looking at his actions, I see very little of the Holy Spirit in evidence. A guy who treats war as a video game and who holds an entire country to ransom to satisfy his own ego really needs to grow the EFF up and listen to the word.

Now I agree with him on one thing - the call to prayer is a hauntingly beautiful sound, and something I wish we had. I found it beneficial to be reminded to give thanks for my life, my loves and my advantages 5 times a day.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2013, 01:05:50 pm »
I'll not judge a person's religion. Unlike God, I can't see hearts, just actions.

Having said that - I am gonna judge. It is Sunday, and I'll confess it later .....  :laugh:

Looking at his actions, I see very little of the Holy Spirit in evidence. A guy who treats war as a video game and who holds an entire country to ransom to satisfy his own ego really needs to grow the EFF up and listen to the word.

Now I agree with him on one thing - the call to prayer is a hauntingly beautiful sound, and something I wish we had. I found it beneficial to be reminded to give thanks for my life, my loves and my advantages 5 times a day.

I love listening to Gregorian chants for that very reason.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 01:06:43 pm by alicewonders »
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2013, 01:08:57 pm »
I love listening to Gregorian chants for that very reason.

Same. Peace and joy at the same time. Got a fair collection of them :)
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink