Author Topic: AP: Barack Obama, Man of Deep Christian Faith  (Read 8474 times)

Offline happyg

Re: AP: Barack Obama, Man of Deep Christian Faith
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2013, 10:41:06 pm »
It really works, and you don't have to get a prescription for it.

One time, in speech class, a guy told each of us to write down our feelings and mood in simple words. He then shut the lights off, and played different sounds, such as music, waves breaking, and rainfall. At the end of the sounds, which lasted about 20 minutes, he turned the lights back on, and had us write down words about how we felt. All but one in the class felt better, and more relaxed. I always knew this, but never experienced it in such a way.

That year, I bought gifts of small fountains for my sisters. One sister said she couldn't sleep without listening to her waterfall.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2013, 10:41:18 pm »
It really works, and you don't have to get a prescription for it.

:laugh:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2013, 10:46:18 pm »
One time, in speech class, a guy told each of us to write down our feelings and mood in simple words. He then shut the lights off, and played different sounds, such as music, waves breaking, and rainfall. At the end of the sounds, which lasted about 20 minutes, he turned the lights back on, and had us write down words about how we felt. All but one in the class felt better, and more relaxed. I always knew this, but never experienced it in such a way.

That year, I bought gifts of small fountains for my sisters. One sister said she couldn't sleep without listening to her waterfall.

I found a little noise machine at Walmart that you could set for different times and sounds - my favorite was the sound of a running stream.  Put me right to sleep!

I never thought of putting an actual small fountain by my bed, that would be very nice..
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2013, 10:47:27 pm »

...not yet anyway!

They'll probably be banned someday.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2013, 10:51:19 pm »
I have a sound machine.  Favorite is the sound of thunder and rain.  Another is called "seashore"....the sound of the waves hitting the sand or rocks.

Then there's "rainforest"....the aviary sounds and rain hitting the canopy leaves.

Think I'll go and take a nap.... :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2013, 10:52:02 pm »
I teach about Gregorian chant, and actually refer to the fact that people will listen to chant to bring peace in a very confusing and hectic world.

It's something that students have never even thought about.

I was thinking that as I was listening.  it would be good for meditation I think.  At least for me.

Offline happyg

« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2013, 10:53:55 pm »
I found a little noise machine at Walmart that you could set for different times and sounds - my favorite was the sound of a running stream.  Put me right to sleep!

I never thought of putting an actual small fountain by my bed, that would be very nice..

I got those fountains for under $10. A couple were only $6 at General Dollar at Christmas time.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2013, 10:56:45 pm »
I was thinking that as I was listening.  it would be good for meditation I think.  At least for me.

It really is.

I play Gregorian chants when I pray (assuming I can and never at sunrise, that is both silent and sacred). Never had the words to describe it - my sister does. She says it is like being a guitar and tuned down an octave.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2013, 11:03:43 pm »
"...my individual salvation is not going to come about without a collective salvation for the country..." - Barack Obama

“One of their beliefs which is antithetical to traditional Christianity is collective salvation. Sin is not individual, but collective and it cannot be overcome by religious conversion.  According to liberation theologies, God does not save men. Man saves himself through a political process of absolute social justice. This is not in Christian doctrine, but it is Marxist.” - http://web.archive.org/web/20080612182721/http://www.180people.com/2008/June/CollectivismBarack-Obamas-BeliefsCommunism-Marxism-Fascism.htm

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2013, 11:22:27 pm »
Many people and groups call themselves 'Jewish' even though they are and do absolutely nothing related to Judaism. Many people call themselves 'Christian' who have nothing to do with Jesus or Christianity. These people define their own terms of what Judaism or Christianity is to them, regardless of doctrine, theology, or tradition. In essence, they create their own version of a religion and then apply a recognizable name to it, even if their version of 'observance' is completely out of sync with what they claim to be.

This is a long winded way of saying that Obama's claim of Christianity is meaningless. Worse than meaningless, it is cynical and insulting in that he is making his claim with the intent of fraud. No Christian I have ever met would demand the cross and the symbol of Jesus be covered before speaking. Obama is as much a 'Christian' as I, my family, and all my relatives are Muslims.

CNSNews.com) - Georgetown University says it covered over the monogram “IHS”--symbolizing the name of Jesus Christ—because it was inscribed on a pediment on the stage where President Obama spoke at the university on Tuesday and the White House had asked Georgetown to cover up all signs and symbols there.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/georgetown-says-it-covered-over-name-jesus-comply-white-house-request-0
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2013, 11:50:46 pm »
Obama's claim of Christianity is meaningless.
That's it in a nutshell.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2013, 11:51:35 pm »
I got those fountains for under $10. A couple were only $6 at General Dollar at Christmas time.

Seriously?  I LOVE the sound of water--I am fortunate to have lovely ponds out back of my townhouse with waterfalls.  I love that sound.  I think about indoor ones, but I have cats, ya know?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2013, 12:04:38 am »
"...my individual salvation is not going to come about without a collective salvation for the country..." - Barack Obama

“One of their beliefs which is antithetical to traditional Christianity is collective salvation. Sin is not individual, but collective and it cannot be overcome by religious conversion.  According to liberation theologies, God does not save men. Man saves himself through a political process of absolute social justice. This is not in Christian doctrine, but it is Marxist.” - http://web.archive.org/web/20080612182721/http://www.180people.com/2008/June/CollectivismBarack-Obamas-BeliefsCommunism-Marxism-Fascism.htm

Barack Hussein Obama is NOT a Christian, never has been one, and if the quote you posted above doesn't prove that I don't know what it will take!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2013, 12:14:31 am »
I don't know anything about this site or the writer of the article (someone sent me the link in an e-mail) but admit that having long thought the same thing the article alleges!

http://fellowshipoftheminds.com/2012/12/12/u-s-physicist-tom-fife-obama-was-groomed-to-be-president-by-soviet-communists/
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:15:23 am by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2013, 12:40:17 am »
Seriously?  I LOVE the sound of water--I am fortunate to have lovely ponds out back of my townhouse with waterfalls.  I love that sound.  I think about indoor ones, but I have cats, ya know?

I have one of the wall-mounted waterfalls in my bedroom. We got where we couldn't sleep without it.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2013, 12:41:25 am »
I don't know anything about this site or the writer of the article (someone sent me the link in an e-mail) but admit that having long thought the same thing the article alleges!

http://fellowshipoftheminds.com/2012/12/12/u-s-physicist-tom-fife-obama-was-groomed-to-be-president-by-soviet-communists/

I remember a detailed article similar to this from 2008.  Went into a lot of detail on how they accomplished this.   It seemed far-fetched -- THEN.  Not so much now, especially knowing about his grandfather and Frank Marshall Davis.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:42:48 am by Rapunzel »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2013, 02:33:08 am »
EC wrote:
[[ I'll not judge a person's religion... ]]

You'd better start.
Because others are certainly "judging" you.
Especially over there in the UK.
The time is running out.

It was once said,
"You may not be interested in war. But war is interested in you."

I say:
"You may not be interested in islam. But islam is interested in YOU."
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 02:36:40 am by Fishrrman »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2013, 02:36:19 am »
EC wrote:
[[ I'll not judge a person's religion... ]]

You'd better start.
Because they are certainly "judging" you.
Especially over there in the UK.
The time is running out.

It was once said,
"You may not be interested in war. But war is interested in you."

I say:
"You may not be interested in islam. But islam is interested in YOU."

Nope. I will not judge,

Someone wishing to harm me or mine - I would suggest they change their ideas fast, the river is literally 5 minutes drive from here.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2013, 08:35:36 pm »
The Music of Hildegard von Bingen. A German mystic and abbess and composer of monophonic settings of lyric and dramatic poetry, Hildegard von Bingen was born in 1098. Sickly from birth, Hildegard explains that from a very young age she had experienced visions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMBrSf3dl9A

Modern arrangement as used in the film American Perfekt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avABG8hrnRE

Edit: I replaced the second video with different one that is visually stunning.  Check it out if you already clicked the first video
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 09:55:43 pm by aligncare »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2013, 09:05:17 pm »
aligncare, do you know that, as the 10th child in her family, Hildegarde was "tithed" to the Church, and raised in a convent?

Because of that, she was educated, and her brilliance was allowed to flourish (in an era when most women were illiterate).

She was a philosopher, theologian, scientist, among other things, not the least of which was that she was the most prolific composer of the Middle Ages.

An AMAZING woman!

(Whom I just happened to have as the subject of a lecture last week.   ^-^ )

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline aligncare

« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2013, 09:47:05 pm »
We are fortunate indeed to have folks with such breadth of knowledge posting at TBR.

I'm glad you expanded her biography, musiclady. What a fascinating woman. Now I want to know even more about her. Interestingly, I had never heard of her until I saw the movie "American Perfekt" which used the updated arrangement in the film. It grabbed my attention so I started researching and found I enjoyed von Bingen's work immensely.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2013, 09:50:02 pm »
We are fortunate indeed to have folks with such breadth of knowledge posting at TBR.

I'm glad you expanded her biography, musiclady. What a fascinating woman. Now I want to know even more about her. Interestingly, I had never heard of her until I saw the movie "American Perfekt" which used the updated arrangement in the film. It grabbed my attention so I started researching and found I enjoyed von Bingen's work immensely.

:amen: :amen: and  :amen:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 09:50:21 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2013, 10:25:41 pm »

She wrote treatises on theology, and her writings include physics, botany, medicine and physiology, and she indeed was a mystic.

She was also very creative in her chant-writing, expanding the range and melodic essence of what had previously been more limited.

I think she's one of history's most fascinating people, and I'm glad people are still getting the word out!

And am thankful for the fact that she had the chance that few women had a thousand years ago, to develop her incredible mind.............and soul!