Author Topic: A Democratic Member of Congress Just Labeled Tea Party Republicans as ‘Domestic Enemies’  (Read 2470 times)

Offline happyg

Rep. Steve Cohen (D-Tenn.) branded Tea Party members of Congress as “domestic enemies” during an appearance on MSNBC Saturday morning.

“Really, you got to think — we take an oath to support the country against all enemies, foreign and domestic,” Cohen said. “These are the domestic enemies.”

The comments were aimed at Tea Party members of Congress who voted against the debt deal that raised the U.S.’ borrowing limit and reopened government.

“They think they are somehow umm… like… it was all talked in military terms. They think they are some kind of guerrillas there to strike a blow for freedom,” he said.

“I think they may try to pull this off again,” he added.

Cohen credited Nancy Pelosi and a handful of “reasonable Republicans” for doing the right thing and voting for legislation that raised the debt ceiling and reopened government.

(H/T: Newsbusters)

Video at link: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/10/19/a-democratic-member-of-congress-just-labeled-tea-party-republicans-as-domestic-enemies/

Offline Olivia

The mention of Nancy Pelosi is all I needed to hear.  Didn't even have to read the article.
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
If the Democrats keep talking like that, they may find that they do have domestic enemies.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
This is all part of the strategy to ensure most people don't care when the TP is officially labeled a terrorist group and mass arrests begin.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Right_in_Virginia

A Democratic Member of Congress Just Labeled Tea Party Republicans as ‘Domestic Enemies’ 

Just like King George labeled the Founders.   :smokin:

Offline andy58-in-nh

This is all part of the strategy to ensure most people don't care when the TP is officially labeled a terrorist group and mass arrests begin.

This kind of over-the-top expression has become commonplace on the Left, and its purpose is best understood not as incitement (although that day may come), but rather as a theatrical form of political coalition-building.

Progressives do not any longer allow for honest disagreement with their beliefs, policies or actions. Instead, they ascribe bad motives to others, where none exist.

Because their power depends upon the exploitation of group grievances, Progressives falsely accuse their adversaries of harboring hatred or ill intent toward these groups.

This strategy serves two important purposes: first, it consolidates political alliances with the target populations by reinforcing their collective sense of victimhood, and of solidarity with the Progressive movement.

Secondly, it puts the opposition instantly on the defensive, not only forced to deny culpability for fabricated wrongs, but placed in a position of having to do so as filtered through the voice of a hostile news media, almost fully in league with the Progressives.

Faced with this set of negative dynamics, my advice to conservatives in the GOP is the same as it has been for some time: call liars "liars" and don't stop calling them liars. Rail against the exploitation of groups by Progressives by explaining how they are being used for the acquisition of power and money.

When the lie is told person-to-person, you have a choice. You can tell them they are lying, and walk away. Or you can tell the Progressive: "if you lie about me again, you'd better be prepared to fight" (or words to that effect). Most often, they will back off (I've called people out more than once, but then, I studied martial arts and used to box). But be prepared to fight either way, preferably with iron words, because we haven't done anywhere near enough of that.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Progressives do not any longer allow for honest disagreement with their beliefs, policies or actions. Instead, they ascribe bad motives to others, where none exist.

IMO all extremists right and left do this.

Offline andy58-in-nh

Name a right-wing "extremist" of any prominence in the United States today.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Name a right-wing "extremist" of any prominence in the United States today.
Well that is the rub.  The right wing ain't as popular as it was but I'll stick Ted Cruz in there.  Last election I'll pick Akin.  2008 I'll identify Tancredo.  We can go with Pat Buchanan a few Prez elections before that and Goldwater before him.  Disasters each and every one.

I've been making the point that conservatism doesn't sell with the voters for a long time.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
[[ and Goldwater before him.  Disasters each and every one. ]]

What world do you live in?

Certainly not a conservative Republican one.

Goldwater laid the groundwork for modern conservatism. He may have lost, but his legacy paved the way for Ronald Reagan (whose vision was expressed in his famous speech _for_ candidate Barry Goldwater).

Tancredo? He may end up the next governor of Colorado. Or would you prefer the fellow that's in there now?

Offline xfreeper

The democratic caucus = domestic enemies

[[ and Goldwater before him.  Disasters each and every one. ]]

What world do you live in?

Certainly not a conservative Republican one.

I certain do not live in a conservative Republican world.  I live in the real world.

Goldwater laid the groundwork for modern conservatism. He may have lost, but his legacy paved the way for Ronald Reagan (whose vision was expressed in his famous speech _for_ candidate Barry Goldwater).

In my real world the Goldwater disaster led to filibuster proof rat majority in the Senate, a rat majority in the House, and the great society President.  Look at what Goldwater gave us.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/89th_United_States_Congress  My hero.

Tancredo? He may end up the next governor of Colorado. Or would you prefer the fellow that's in there now?

I have no faith in Tancredo getting elected.  I will be happy it is a GOP seat but not so much the guy sitting in it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 03:33:47 am by Once-Ler »

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Offline Rapunzel

I certain do not live in a conservative Republican world.  I live in the real world.

In my real world the Goldwater disaster led to filibuster proof rat majority in the Senate, a rat majority in the House, and the great society President.  Look at what Goldwater gave us.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/89th_United_States_Congress  My hero.

FYI TBR is a conservative and conservative-leaning site and we support the Tea Party here....

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline aligncare

Just about to point that out. Right here on this site people have said Obama is "evil" and wants the destruction of America. Sometimes folks give in to that kind of banter. I know it feels good to vent. I understand that. But it carries a cost. Too much hyperbole and you risk your credibility.

FYI TBR is a conservative and conservative-leaning site and we support the Tea Party here....

What is your point moderator?