Author Topic: Flesh eating drug ("krokodil") makes appearance in Joliet, Ill.  (Read 15164 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: Flesh eating drug ("krokodil") makes appearance in Joliet, Ill.
« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2013, 05:32:35 pm »
Actually, marijuana and cocaine didn't become illegal in the US until the early 1900's. (less than 100 years ago)  Along with opium and heroine being legal until regulated/illegal in the late 1800's early 1900's

I already conceded that I made an error, LambChop.

I should have said, in the last hundred years hard drugs have been illegal because they are so harmful.

I still believe that it is a consistent argument that alcohol and tobacco are different situations than hard drugs, and that drugs' remaining illegal is the best decision.  Dealing drugs kills people.  LOTS of people.

Lessening penalties (also already discussed) for using is a different matter, and on that I believe we are almost all in agreement.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline LambChop

« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2013, 06:40:56 pm »
I already conceded that I made an error, LambChop.

I should have said, in the last hundred years hard drugs have been illegal because they are so harmful.

I still believe that it is a consistent argument that alcohol and tobacco are different situations than hard drugs, and that drugs' remaining illegal is the best decision.  Dealing drugs kills people.  LOTS of people.

Lessening penalties (also already discussed) for using is a different matter, and on that I believe we are almost all in agreement.

I do apologize, didn't see I had been parroting a response until after I did so.   Was responding to your post before reading the thread in it's entirety.

Personally, I think some drugs should be legal and some shouldn't.   Does the drug hurt anybody except the user?   If the answer is no, then legalize it.   Although I do think regulation as to when and where should be in place.  We don't let people drink and drive with out punishment.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #127 on: October 22, 2013, 06:58:21 pm »
I don't mind his comments as long as he is polite.  He can learn much from us, he put himself in here, we should use it as an opportunity to be able to hone our ability to defend our idealogy to the other side.   Who knows, we might even be able to "turn" him.

If he gave an honest back and forth I would agree, but he picks our brains and never, ever, responds to pointed questions - even though he asks us similar questions expecting our opinions.. The record is broken on third parties, OWS is good and Citizens United is the root of all evil.  I guess I am just not in a mood right now to be catnip for the cat..
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2013, 07:06:04 pm »
That is the attitude which is required, to change minds, change votes, and win.

(I personally changed from an idealistic 20 something liberal veteran, to a staunch Reagan conservative during my mid-late 20s) Exposed to life, and to men and women who argued the case effectively.

That's it truth seeker.  I was pretty wild in my youth too.  As my grandmother used to say, you get more flies with honey than you do vinegar.  I think he is trying to convince himself of his beliefs more so than trying to change our minds.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2013, 08:14:32 pm »
I do apologize, didn't see I had been parroting a response until after I did so.   Was responding to your post before reading the thread in it's entirety.

Personally, I think some drugs should be legal and some shouldn't.   Does the drug hurt anybody except the user?   If the answer is no, then legalize it.   Although I do think regulation as to when and where should be in place.  We don't let people drink and drive with out punishment.

No need to apologize.  Happens all the time when one is reading through a thread.  ^-^

My opinion is that there is no such thing as a drug that hurts no one except the user.  Some one else is always involved in and harmed by drug abuse.

That's why there are support groups for families of abusers.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2013, 09:14:15 pm »
That's it truth seeker.  I was pretty wild in my youth too.  As my grandmother used to say, you get more flies with honey than you do vinegar.  I think he is trying to convince himself of his beliefs more so than trying to change our minds.

I am trying to compare and contrast the main figures in conservatism from my conversion period (actually a reversion to my family's origin)  versus today.

Then we had established national figures--Reagan had served two terms as Governor of the biggest state. He'd run well in 1976. He written books, and spoken on television over the years.

He had history, standing, status, credibility, trust. No wonder he won twice, and boosted his successor to office as well. 12 years.

Of those living these days, only Cheney and Gingrich come anywhere close.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln