Author Topic: Conservatives, Get a Grip on Reality! By Charlie Cook  (Read 1887 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Conservatives, Get a Grip on Reality! By Charlie Cook
« on: October 19, 2013, 01:22:19 pm »
http://www.nationaljournal.com/the-cook-report/conservatives-get-a-grip-on-reality-20131017

Conservatives, Get a Grip on Reality!
Those who thought shutting down the government was a winning strategy should have their heads examined.

By Charlie Cook
October 17, 2013

Here’s a question for conservatives and Republicans: Going into the 2012 Election Day, or even in the last few days before Election Day, did you think Mitt Romney was going to win? A couple of months ago, did you think the strategy of threatening to shut down the government or prevent raising the debt ceiling, to force the outright repeal or defunding of Obamacare, would really work? Romney lost by 4,967,508 votes, 126 Electoral College votes, and 3.85 percentage points. That’s not very close. Obamacare isn’t going to be repealed this year, and it’s not going to be defunded.

So the question is whether conservatives and Republicans should begin to worry if their instincts—specifically, their judgment on matters of politics and policy—are a bit off. Maybe “spectacularly wrong” would be more accurate. Does that worry anyone on the right or in the Republican Party? Are they concerned that continuing to follow such awful political instincts could lead to catastrophic consequences for their movement and their party?

Obviously, not every Republican or conservative thought, up until the end, that Romney would win or that the anti-Obamacare strategies would work. But this increasingly widespread tone deafness should concern party leaders, particularly when it leads to self-destructive decisions, as we are witnessing these days. In politics, it isn’t uncommon to see judgment clouded by emotion, but when hate and contempt predominate, truly awful decisions often result.

Driving in to work Tuesday morning while listening to WTOP, Washington’s excellent all-news radio station, I heard my friend, the extremely able congressional reporter Dave McConnell, relate a conversation he had had with a Republican House member. This member told McConnell that allowing the debt ceiling to be breached might “get the leadership’s attention.” That sounded like a kid saying if he threw his mother’s priceless vase against the wall, she might start letting him do what he wants. Political judgment this bad, coming from members of Congress, is a dangerous thing for a party. When it comes to dealing with something with enormous consequences, such as intentionally creating a situation that could lead to default on our national debt, we are no longer quibbling about minor differences of opinion.

The combination of redistricting; population-sorting; and media-viewing, listening, and reading habits has created ideological and partisan culs-de-sac and incestuous thinking that are causing astonishing miscalculations on hugely consequential matters.

I consulted a psychiatrist and a psychologist on this question. Both said there is no formal term for the behavior some Republicans are exhibiting, but one described the groupthink as “hysterical delusional affirmation,” and the other named it “delusional synergy.” One said, “It entails suspension of logical intellectual processes with a selective consideration of only confirmatory input. Paranoid people typically experience ideas of influence and control where they believe that they see things that others cannot. This process is often propelled by delusions of grandeur, quite often messianic in nature.”

Certainly, delusion is not new. During Bill Clinton’s presidency, the hatred and contempt for the Arkansan among many Republicans and conservatives was so great it led prominent GOP members to do some pretty outrageous things—up to and including then-Rep. Dan Burton of Indiana shooting a melon in his backyard to try to prove some harebrained conspiracy theory about the late White House counsel Vince Foster’s death. And that’s not to mention the impeachment fiasco. When hatred turns into obsession, it spawns some pretty erratic and destructive behavior.Destructive behavior is not confined to one political party. During George W. Bush’s presidency, the Left and some Democrats got caught up in some pretty crazy stuff as well; some peddled conspiracy theories that Bush knew about the 9/11 attacks in advance and that his 2004 reelection was stolen. More recently, House Democrats’ decision in 2009—despite a worsening recession—to push ahead on cap-and-trade climate-change legislation, and then pursue health care reform after unemployment topped 9 percent, cost them their House majority, along with Senate seats, governorships, state legislative seats, and control of chambers. This led to devastating redistricting consequences for the party. It’s also worth pointing out the fairly crazy belief on the left that the political controversy surrounding health care reform would help Democrats and virtually ensure Obama’s reelection. The union-backed decision to push a recall of GOP Gov. Scott Walker in Wisconsin falls into this category as well—another colossal miscalculation based on hate, not logic.

And don’t get me started on the “birthers.” It’s one thing to dislike or disapprove of Obama, but to get obsessed over birth certificates—really? “Hysterical delusional affirmation” and “delusional synergy” aren’t terms normally associated with the political process, but after the spectacle of the past few weeks, they seem pretty apt. While many Republicans—those who are clear-eyed about today’s political realities—are exempt, these terms apply to enough of them that it may be time for the GOP’s Non-delusional Caucus to stage an intervention. Otherwise the party may be headed for some voter-administered therapy.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Re: Conservatives, Get a Grip on Reality! By Charlie Cook
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 01:47:32 pm »
Actually, I never cared whether shutting down the government over Obamacare would "work."  That's a DC calculation and part of the "how can we fool them today" thinking of beltway-dependent establishment types.  I only cared whether it was the right thing to do.  I still think it was the right thing to do, and caving was the wrong thing to do.

I love the way the author paints Romney and the shut down with the same brush.  It never occurs to him that the people who supported Romney and thought Romney would win were not conservatives, but moderates.  It was Karl Rove and his gang claiming there was going to be a "landslide."  In fact, had Romney won, the Tea Party would probably be contained and we'd be trying to push Mitt as far to the right as we could.  Instead, we have nothing to lose at this point, so why not exercise our political power in some ways that get the attention and raise some concerns among the establishment?

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 03:45:33 pm »
I consulted a psychiatrist and a psychologist on this question. Both said there is no formal term for the behavior some Republicans are exhibiting

I like to think of it as the "Thomas Jefferson Syndrome".   :smokin:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 03:58:33 pm »
People like Charlie Cook are a HUGE part of the problem rather than the solution!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 04:38:40 pm »
He uses examples from both sides, and he is right on target, as far as political analysis.

We saw it here, over the last few weeks. The upswing of enthusiasm, the suppression of contrarian opinion, etc.

Conservatism is failing to convince people, is losing, and people are high-fiving each other.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Olivia

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 04:43:43 pm »
I like to think of it as the "Thomas Jefferson Syndrome".   :smokin:

Right!  It's no longer passé to stand up for the constitutional rule of law.  Doing so makes you the strange one in this year of Obama's reign.
Most of the media are like sheep and follow the leader. The leaders are feverishly trying to convince the American people that the shut-down of the government is completely the Tea Party's fault. Democrats and democrat lites are trying to exclude themselves from any fall out. 
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 04:46:41 pm »
He uses examples from both sides, and he is right on target, as far as political analysis.

We saw it here, over the last few weeks. The upswing of enthusiasm, the suppression of contrarian opinion, etc.

Conservatism is failing to convince people, is losing, and people are high-fiving each other.

Charlie Cook is just another political consultant trying to make sure HIS ox doesn't get gored! Nothing more or less than that.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 05:00:20 pm »
Charlie Cook is just another political consultant trying to make sure HIS ox doesn't get gored! Nothing more or less than that.
And Charlie Cook has an excellent record, for calling races correctly.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 05:02:01 pm »
It’s also worth pointing out the fairly crazy belief on the left that the political controversy surrounding health care reform would help Democrats and virtually ensure Obama’s reelection. The union-backed decision to push a recall of GOP Gov. Scott Walker in Wisconsin falls into this category as well—another colossal miscalculation based on hate, not logic.

Of course if Walker's efforts to bust the unions had failed, Cooke would probably have hailed THAT in this piece too.   This column looks like Cooke is just swarming around like a buzzard, picking off various people's failed efforts.       

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 05:06:46 pm »
And Charlie Cook has an excellent record, for calling races correctly.

Looks like you and I are just going to have to agree to disagree and move on!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 05:08:01 pm »
Of course if Walker's efforts to bust the unions had failed, Cooke would probably have hailed THAT in this piece too.   This column looks like Cooke is just swarming around like a buzzard, picking off various people's failed efforts.     

Charlie Cook likes things just as they are and doesn't want the status quo messed with!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 06:02:54 pm »
Charlie Cook likes things just as they are and doesn't want the status quo messed with!

He's a liberal, so of course he likes the status quo. And he lives in an echo chamber (Washington, D.C.) where actual conservatives are as rare as whooping cranes, and where the few extant members of the species must try to warble their message through a nearly-impenetrable web of news media scorn and hostility.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 08:17:35 pm »
He's a liberal, so of course he likes the status quo. And he lives in an echo chamber (Washington, D.C.) where actual conservatives are as rare as whooping cranes, and where the few extant members of the species must try to warble their message through a nearly-impenetrable web of news media scorn and hostility.
He's highly regarded, for calling races accurately.