Author Topic: Giant Statue of Jesus Christ Erected in Syria  (Read 1950 times)

Offline happyg

Giant Statue of Jesus Christ Erected in Syria
« on: October 19, 2013, 01:10:41 am »
The statue can be seen from Lebanon, Jordan, Palestine, and Israel.

A new statue of Jesus Christ was erected on top of a Syrian mountain this week. The statue is taller than the Christ in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Interfax reported:

A sculpture ensemble depicting Jesus Christ called ‘I have come to save the world’ has been erected on top of a 2,000-meter high mountain in Syria. The statue has been placed on a historic pilgrim route from Constantinople to Jerusalem, at the Cherubim Monastery in the community of Saidnaya at an altitude of 2,100 meters above sea level, the Moscow Spiritual Academy, which supported this peacekeeping project, said in a statement. “The ensemble with the blessing Christ in its center, seen from Lebanon, Jordan, Palestine and Israel, is designed to bring peace, mutual understanding, and hope for common salvation to a region engulfed in the flames of war,” it said. The warring parties suspended hostilities and were watching the statue’s installation, which took three days, it said. The monument was installed on October 14, when some Christian churches celebrate the feast of the Intercession of the Theotokos, and on the eve of the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/10/giant-statue-of-jesus-christ-erected-in-syria/

famousdayandyear

Re: Giant Statue of Jesus Christ Erected in Syria
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 01:14:51 am »
A beautiful depiction of the Christ.

Hope they can keep it safe.  And pray so.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 02:15:20 am »
Good
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 07:04:01 am »
Fingers crossed it stays there. Guess that will come down to who wins.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

famousdayandyear

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 07:29:16 am »
Fingers crossed it stays there. Guess that will come down to who wins.

Do you recall in 2000/2001, the Taliban blowing up those two ancient statues of Buddha--I believe it was in Afghanistan?

This is what I fear.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 07:48:23 am »
Do you recall in 2000/2001, the Taliban blowing up those two ancient statues of Buddha--I believe it was in Afghanistan?

This is what I fear.

Only too well. They destroy any and all representational art, as it is a sin in the eyes of the Koran. It's not just representations of Mohammed or Allah - any representations are anathema to hard line Muslims.

The first thing the bastards did in Maaloula was to blow up the statue of the Virgin in the town square. Thing had been there for centuries. I actually have a piece of the statue - a finger tip - that I picked up. You might say it's because it is Christian, but that isn't the case. Islam is very respectful of Mary - don't forget, Jesus is a prophet as far as they are concerned and is respected accordingly.

I am just going to continue praying that the hard liners lose badly.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 07:52:17 am »
EC on my way to the doctor the other day I was listening to someone on XM talking about Syria and how the reason the USA has taken the wrong side in this war has to do with control over the oil pipeline and Iran?  What do you know about this history?  They said this goes clear back to the Carter years we've been meddling in Syria over oil.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

famousdayandyear

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 07:58:40 am »
Only too well. They destroy any and all representational art, as it is a sin in the eyes of the Koran. It's not just representations of Mohammed or Allah - any representations are anathema to hard line Muslims.

The first thing the bastards did in Maaloula was to blow up the statue of the Virgin in the town square. Thing had been there for centuries. I actually have a piece of the statue - a finger tip - that I picked up. You might say it's because it is Christian, but that isn't the case. Islam is very respectful of Mary - don't forget, Jesus is a prophet as far as they are concerned and is respected accordingly.

I am just going to continue praying that the hard liners lose badly.

If they are so friggin respectful, why are they slaughtering Syrian Christians and Egyptian Copts with impunity?  PS Keep the finger tip

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 08:28:57 am »
I can only give you the retail bits, mostly from talking to government troops and local Christians (plus the odd bearded one), so my info is probably one sided. With that caveat, general conditions and history first, then the US stuff:

Iran scares the crap out of average, every day Syrians. They don't want, like or trust the very concept of a theocracy, especially one run by a sect that is hostile to a good 70% of the local population. So one border gets watched carefully and fearfully, since Iraq no longer acts as a buffer zone. Allegra (and Ford, maybe) knows more about conditions in Iraq, but when you hear a squad of very tough and experienced soldiers calling it a mess and hell, you do tend to sit up and take notice!

Another border to the South West - believe me, the Syrians remember the kicking they got in 1967 as if it was yesterday and it shames them in the same way that a 300 lb biker being beaten up by a 6 year old would be shamed. Go North East and you have basically a country within a country - what will eventually be Kurdistan, a population with their own views, practices and a deep and abiding hatred of both Sunni and Shia.

The country is surrounded by enemies. It has been at relative peace for maybe 100 years total in the last 2000. So the people are jumpy and expect to be attacked/taken advantage of/killed horribly. It is not just in their history, you hear it in the stories they tell to the children.  Most of the ones I talked to were reasonably happy with the current regime. Sure, it's not a regime you or I would particularly enjoy, but it worked. Minimal sectarian violence and the chance to raise your family in relative peace is a blessing that they didn't often have. Sunni, Shia, Alawite, Christian, Kurd, even the odd Jew - all getting on reasonably well under the threat of being executed for disturbing the peace.

So - the Americans come in. Instant distrust from a mixed population that has distrust bred into their very bones. What is the motive, here? Why are they supporting our biggest enemy instead of us? What do they expect to obtain? How much will it cost us and will the payments break us? Why are they supporting the ones who want to destroy what we built? Those are actual questions I was asked. Hell, I took to speaking Russian half the time, out of shame.

Believe you me, they remember Carter, and not with fondness. He basically created Iran - which they fear. I can't emphasise that enough. They are terrified of a theocracy. They also know, since it is currently on every radio station, that America supports Israel - another enemy, though one that gets grudging respect as a hard ass that takes a hit and hits back twice as hard.

News is very censored there. Yet the people as a whole understand two things - the cradle of western civilization is under attack and the USA is supporting their enemies, not them. There are many wild theories. I had one guy sit and talk to me, old guy - must have been about 80 - who very calmly stated that the USA is supporting the rebels at Saudi Arabia's request. Wahhabi never made much headway in Syria. Too strict and too alien to most of the population.

Let me think on it more?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 08:33:07 am »
If they are so friggin respectful, why are they slaughtering Syrian Christians and Egyptian Copts with impunity?  PS Keep the finger tip

It is kept. We have a small altar, can't always get to church - it is on it.

The jihadis are evil bleep. I can't emphasise that enough. Most of them are not even Syrian or Egyptian. In Syria you have the Uzbecks and Kazacks. The only rule when you run into them is don't bleep miss. In Egypt you have Somalis, Malis and some home grown lunatics.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 08:44:27 am »
It is kept. We have a small altar, can't always get to church - it is on it.

The jihadis are evil bleepers. I can't emphasise that enough. Most of them are not even Syrian or Egyptian. In Syria you have the Uzbecks and Kazacks. The only rule when you run into them is don't bleeping miss. In Egypt you have Somalis, Malis and some home grown lunatics.

Thanks for this and previous post.  Lots of valuable info to digest and will certainly expand my understanding of the Syrian people and their current situation.
Thank you again for taking the time to spell this out for me.

As you know, it's late here.  I am cooked.  See you later.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 08:48:06 am »
Sleep well, my friend.

I can only give you peoples stories.
I will say, I like most of the people I met there. Tough buggers, very self sufficient. Got pride in their history and culture. Won't accept charity if they can give something in return.