Author Topic: I have another video I'd like your input on.  (Read 23150 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Re: I have another video I'd like your input on.
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2013, 07:19:17 pm »
Actually I think he would do very well to go up to PA and take a class one semester with our massadjv... but that is just me, mass is one of the smartest men I know and I would have loved to take one of his classes.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

famousdayandyear

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2013, 07:26:26 pm »
If most people truly believe that I am only a troll sent here to disrupt and do damage, I will leave. I stated from the beginning that I'm not interested in causing problems. I've been polite, and have even tried to deescalate arguments between other posters on this forum. I'm not kidding when I say I have no problem leaving. I like talking to people here, but I'm not going to stay if I'm unwelcome.

Don't worry.  We're starting a pre-K for Constitutional Studies.  We're very understanding and multicultural.  Stay and enjoy the attention you receive.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2013, 07:35:01 pm »
A recommendation for you, L_S. Hillsdale College, a fine institution, is currently offering a FREE, online course entitled, ""Free Market Economics and the American Founding". If you are interested go to: http://online.hillsdale.edu/home

I believe you will find the course most enlightening and, in fact, believe it would prove of value to everyone on this Forum.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2013, 07:43:37 pm »
So are you on board with breaking up the banks? If you are, you're speaking my language, because that to me is one of the single most important things we need to do.

You'd have to get rid of FDIC and stop government insuring bank accounts.  I'd support that.  People who wanted insured accounts would have to either buy their own insurance or put their money into accounts that were privately insured.  Would you support that? 

It would also mean no FHA or other government mortgage programs, no subsidizing of student loans, and on and on.  Once you deregulate banks, you expose the government to very, very heavy liability for its commitments.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2013, 07:47:02 pm »
Actually I think he would do very well to go up to PA and take a class one semester with our massadjv... but that is just me, mass is one of the smartest men I know and I would have loved to take one of his classes.

OPapaDoc will even lend him some money from the government to do it.

For you, Rap.   :bighug:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2013, 07:50:57 pm »
If most people truly believe that I am only a troll sent here to disrupt and do damage, I will leave. I stated from the beginning that I'm not interested in causing problems. I've been polite, and have even tried to deescalate arguments between other posters on this forum. I'm not kidding when I say I have no problem leaving. I like talking to people here, but I'm not going to stay if I'm unwelcome.
You're okay with me. You appear to be an idealistic, yet unschooled younger person.

I was that way during my 20s. But I studied and worked, and realized that in order for there to be wealth, there first needed to be wealth at all.

Wealth grows by wise, skilled assembly, arrangement and management of factors of production.

The persons/institutions capable of doing this can accumulate vast wealth, for sure.

So the first question becomes what is wealth, and how does it come into existence?

That is why you need to study true economics, and not just left-wing propaganda.

There is already empirical evidence that communism simply does not work, and that is the ultimate income redistributor system.

The most wealthy nations follow free market capitalism to a great degree, versus command communism, as far as the nature of the "market."

Redistribution presupposes some source of wisdom to alter the choices of the marketplace; ie to assign a higher price to labor, and a lower price to management skills, than the market does.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2013, 07:53:29 pm »
I'll tell you what I think. I think that if you took all the money in the country today and distributed it equally amongst the adult population of the country in five years you would again have roughly the same distribution you have today!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2013, 07:59:57 pm »
I'll tell you what I think. I think that if you took all the money in the country today and distributed it equally amongst the adult population of the country in five years you would again have roughly the same distribution you have today!

:thumbsup:
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline aligncare

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2013, 08:16:29 pm »

Don't be ridiculous. If some people are threatened by the mere presence of an opposing POV then they must have some confidence issues. From what I've seen of you you've been nothing but polite and sincere. I certainly don't wish you to go.

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2013, 08:22:40 pm »
or put their money into accounts that were privately insured.  Would you support that? 

Are you talking about credit unions? I don't use a bank, and have instead used a credit union for years. I completely support and encourage people using alternative forms of storing and insuring their money.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 08:30:36 pm by Liberal_Spy »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2013, 08:30:24 pm »
You're okay with me. You appear to be an idealistic, yet unschooled younger person.

I was that way during my 20s. But I studied and worked, and realized that in order for there to be wealth, there first needed to be wealth at all.

Wealth grows by wise, skilled assembly, arrangement and management of factors of production.

The persons/institutions capable of doing this can accumulate vast wealth, for sure.

So the first question becomes what is wealth, and how does it come into existence?

That is why you need to study true economics, and not just left-wing propaganda.

There is already empirical evidence that communism simply does not work, and that is the ultimate income redistributor system.

The most wealthy nations follow free market capitalism to a great degree, versus command communism, as far as the nature of the "market."

Redistribution presupposes some source of wisdom to alter the choices of the marketplace; ie to assign a higher price to labor, and a lower price to management skills, than the market does.

goopo :thumbsup:
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2013, 08:31:18 pm »

I think you are right. Look at lottery winners how long before many of them are poor again.

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2013, 08:32:27 pm »

I don't support or advocate communism, and I regularly school liberals that do.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2013, 08:35:04 pm »

I don't have a problem with you being here.  I do think you are very young and can actually learn a lot here you will never learn in a classroom... especially if you take the advice many have given you about books you could and should read.  If you truly want to expand your world view AND be a sought after and interesting  - well rounded - professor, you will take the reading advice given on various threads this week.

I will add I would think you would want to take in what you are learning here and then use it when you are teaching to probe your students and make THEM think deeper.  The teacher I have never forgotten was my economics teacher and that is what he did... he MADE us think, and he pushed us and pushed us hard to think rather than regurgitate.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 08:38:04 pm by Rapunzel »

Offline collins

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2013, 08:35:42 pm »
Well, I think I need to clarify my previous post. "Threatened by" that stupid video the OP wanted comment on? Hardly, but not commenting on it doesn't mean one can't comment on it. It was just a whiny screed by a couple of far-left economists. I know his indoctrin-OOPS-political views, hear it all the time in Seattle. He's divisive and is suceeding in pitting the posters here against each other IMO, but maybe that's just me.

Good to see so many have the time to deprogram the liberal, but I just don't see the point in doing so. He's getting what he thinks is what he wants, so enjoy paying the elderly and the illegal immigrants' "free" healthcare with money you don't have and never will, LS. :seeya:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2013, 08:37:24 pm »

Join the club. Mass always has an interesting take on things.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2013, 08:48:31 pm »

Exactly what John Wayne said in 1975..... he was correct as are you

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,116927.0.html

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2013, 08:52:21 pm »
Are you talking about credit unions? I don't use a bank, and have instead used a credit union for years. I completely support and encourage people using alternative forms of storing and insuring their money.

Do you also support getting rid of government subsidies such as FHA, VA, Mortgage Insurance, FNMA, college loans, Farm loans and the countless other federal loan guarantee programs?  If people use alternative forms of storing and insuring money, then the government would have no power to regulate banking and these programs would have to go because there would be no sources of funds to support them.

The last I heard, OWS wants the government to simply "forgive all debt."  That would, in effect, mean that the government would have to be in charge of banking, and it would screw every American who has a savings account.  We are talking about people who fought in WWII, got us through the Depression and worked all their lives for what they have.  Some alternative.

The problem is not that the banking industry is not regulated ENOUGH.  It is that it is tied at the hip to government and must therefore be big and corrupt, just as government is big and corrupt.  Making government more powerful just compounds the problem, just as we are now seeing with Obamacare.

The only mechanism capable of cleansing society is a free, open and accessible market.  And the only political movement that supports free markets in the USA today is the Tea Party.

I hate to tell you this, young man, but the only people standing between you and tyranny for the rest of your life are a bunch of rednecks much like the guys on "Duck Dynasty."  You should thank your lucky stars they are out there insisting on freedom, because without them and their guns, you'd be entirely screwed.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2013, 08:53:24 pm »
A recommendation for you, L_S. Hillsdale College, a fine institution, is currently offering a FREE, online course entitled, ""Free Market Economics and the American Founding". If you are interested go to: http://online.hillsdale.edu/home

I believe you will find the course most enlightening and, in fact, believe it would prove of value to everyone on this Forum.

This is the best post by far and the best advice by far. 

But does anyone think there is the initiative and the sense of personal responsibility required to follow up and take this great advice?  No?  I didn't think so.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2013, 08:56:35 pm »
Join the club. Mass always has an interesting take on things.

:amen:   :silly:

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2013, 08:59:30 pm »
Do you also support getting rid of government subsidies such as FHA, VA, Mortgage Insurance, FNMA, college loans, Farm loans and the countless other federal loan guarantee programs?  If people use alternative forms of storing and insuring money, then the government would have no power to regulate banking and these programs would have to go because there would be no sources of funds to support them.

The last I heard, OWS wants the government to simply "forgive all debt."  That would, in effect, mean that the government would have to be in charge of banking, and it would screw every American who has a savings account.  We are talking about people who fought in WWII, got us through the Depression and worked all their lives for what they have.  Some alternative.

The problem is not that the banking industry is not regulated ENOUGH.  It is that it is tied at the hip to government and must therefore be big and corrupt, just as government is big and corrupt.  Making government more powerful just compounds the problem, just as we are now seeing with Obamacare.

The only mechanism capable of cleansing society is a free, open and accessible market.  And the only political movement that supports free markets in the USA today is the Tea Party.

I hate to tell you this, young man, but the only people standing between you and tyranny for the rest of your life are a bunch of rednecks much like the guys on "Duck Dynasty."  You should thank your lucky stars they are out there insisting on freedom, because without them and their guns, you'd be entirely screwed.

I completely support breaking up the banks, and would completely accept any consequences that came from that, because I feel the benefits of getting the banks under control would vastly outweigh any negatives that came from it. Occupy Wall Street was a conglomeration of LOTS of people that were fed up with lots of things (hell, there were even Tea Party members protesting at OWS), including the banks. You can't put super specific motives on a group of people that numbers in the multi-millions. Not all of us agreed on all of the specifics, but most of us knew/know that the banks are a huge part of the problem, and that something needs to be done about it.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2013, 09:02:34 pm »
I completely support breaking up the banks, and would completely accept any consequences that came from that, because I feel the benefits of getting the banks under control would vastly outweigh any negatives that came from it. Occupy Wall Street was a conglomeration of LOTS of people that were fed up with lots of things (hell, there were even Tea Party members protesting at OWS), including the banks. You can't put super specific motives on a group of people that numbers in the multi-millions. Not all of us agreed on all of the specifics, but most of us knew/know that the banks are a huge part of the problem, and that something needs to be done about it.

I know.  There were a lot of Ron Paul types at OWS.  But had the OWS revolution succeeded, they'd have been the first to get hanged afterwards, just as the anarchists had to go after the Russian revolution.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2013, 09:09:49 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM&feature=player_embedded

Do you disagree with the message the creator of this video is giving? Is he wrong? What are your opinions on the points he makes in his video?

I disagree with several aspects but the main point being that this is a problem caused by the wealthy. Instead, I don't see this being the wealthy's fault. of course they are going to work to grow their income and value as much as possible and the more you have, the better investment tools you have. My issue, however, is what is holding the 'little guy' back from growth?

Did you know it is easier to start a business in China than it is in the US?  What does that say about us when it is now easier to start a business in Communist country than what should be the bastion of Capitalism? It is even easier for an established US company to start a business in China than to grow their business here.

http://www.inc.com/guides/2010/07/how-to-start-a-business-in-china.html

The little guy has an almost impossible battle to get himself out of his hole- a battle you wouldn't have seen a decade or two ago. It is not the fault of the wealthy, except the 'wealthy' in the halls of power in DC who continue to pile on regulation upon regulation upon regulation. We have gotten to the point where you can't even cut someone's hair without getting Big Brother's stamp of approval and pay him for a special license to do it. (guess what, in China if you wanted to cut someone's hair to make a few extra dollars, you can just stick a chair in front of your house with a sign and start doing it- their government doesn't sweat small business like this any more.)  Now, with Obamacare, it is even worse.  I have seen many, many small home health companies have to shut their doors in the past few months because they can't afford to comply with the regulations. Many of these are one or two person operations, started by people who used to be on that bottom rung of the income ladder- who scrimped and saved to go to nursing school and were working towards those higher rungs. Now, the cost of the software alone to remain compliant is more than they earn in a year. They simply have had to shut their doors and one is back to earning about $15/hour in a call center, another just retired. 

There are many other fallacies in this, but instead of continuing to ramble, I'll just post some links for you to review.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/12319/6-myths-about-income-inequality-in-america

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100286297

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/287643/income-inequality-myth-michael-tanner

http://www.businessinsider.com/5-reasons-why-income-inequality-is-a-myth--and-occupy-wall-street-is-wrong-2011-10

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2010/09/inequality

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2013, 09:12:36 pm »

The little guy has an almost impossible battle to get himself out of his hole- a battle you wouldn't have seen a decade or two ago.

I read your entire post, just so you know. This bit stuck out to me, though. How specifically can we make this not the case? How do we make it so that battle is a little less impossible for the little guy?

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2013, 09:21:19 pm »
Here's a past video Oceander and I made on OWS for your viewing pleasure:

http://blip.tv/play/AYLX7EwC.html?p=1