Author Topic: Cory Booker To Start Marrying Gay Couples One-Minute After It Becomes Legal In NJ…  (Read 5096 times)

Offline happyg

Before Senator-elect Cory Booker comes to Washington, he plans to start the ball rolling on marriage equality in New Jersey by marrying several same-sex couples at 12:01 a.m. Monday, Oct. 21, BuzzFeed has learned.

Multiple advocates in New Jersey confirmed that the Newark mayor who just won election to the Senate on Wednesday plans to conduct weddings in the first floor rotunda of Newark City Hall after the clock strikes midnight.

The only remaining question is whether the New Jersey Supreme Court will issue an order before then putting marriage equality on hold while it considers an appeal of the trial-court decision that led to Booker’s plans.

According to information provided to BuzzFeed, wedding plans are moving forward at this time, with at least 10 couples and their families expected to attend the early Monday morning event.

The wedding planning is going into effect in Newark and other cities around New Jersey late this week as a result of Judge Mary Jacobson’s decision on Sept. 27 requiring that the state allow same-sex couples equal marriage rights. In her ruling, she stated that “ame-sex couples must be allowed to marry in order to obtain equal protection of the law under the New Jersey Constitution.”

In order “[t]o allow the State adequate time to prepare to effectuate this ruling or to pursue appellate remedies,” she wrote, “the court directs that it take effect on October 21, 2013.”

Although Gov. Chris Christie’s administration appealed the ruling and the state Supreme Court took jurisdiction of the appeal, the secondary question of whether Jacobson’s ruling will be put on hold during the appeal has not yet been resolved. Although the state Supreme Court is considering the Christie administration’s appeal of Jacobson’s denial of a request to stay the ruling during the appeal, it has not yet ruled, meaning Jacobson’s ruling is still scheduled to go into effect on Oct. 21.

Officials in Newark and a handful of other jurisdictions — including Asbury Park, Jersey City and Red Bank — have determined that Jacobson’s ruling, absent a stay, means that same-sex couples are allowed to marry beginning Oct. 21 and, as such, they are beginning to accept applications for marriage licenses prior to that date.

Asbury Park administrator Terence Reidy, for example, told the Star Ledger on Thursday that Asbury Park would issue applications on Friday.

The various jurisdictions’ plans are slated to go forward despite an email from a state health department official, reported by the Star Ledger as having been sent to municipal officials, stating that licenses are not to be issued “until you hear from this office that we have the authority to do so.”

Reidy, however, told the Star Ledger, “Absent a legally binding order not to issue these applications, it is our understanding of the law, that we have the right and obligation to begin issuing applications tomorrow. Please be clear, this is not a act of civil disobedience, but rather our interpretation of what the law permits at this time.”

In Newark, the couples being married by Booker are being required to fill out and sign the required marriage license application by 10 a.m. Friday, according to information provided to BuzzFeed. Media coverage, including interviews with the couples, is also being coordinated. The couples, who are invited to bring up to five guests, are being asked to arrive at Newark City Hall an hour prior to the ceremony.

http://weaselzippers.us/

Offline mountaineer

The only remaining question is whether the New Jersey Supreme Court will issue an order before then putting marriage equality on hold while it considers an appeal of the trial-court decision that led to Booker’s plans.
Actually, my question was "why," but I guess it doesn't matter.   **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I was going to question whether or not senators had the authority to issue marriage licenses, but then I realized that he hasn't been sworn in yet and is still mayor, which means he still can marry people.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline olde north church

Booger is scouting for a menage a trois with Dirk and Rod.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline GourmetDan

Maybe we should have listened to the Westboro Baptist crowd...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion

No, because they would kill homosexuals if they could.  God doesn't hate anyone, and we should be like him.  The Fred Phelps Cult is the very antithesis of what Jesus preached.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline mountaineer

No, they're as wrong as the extremists on the other end.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Carling

Yeah, pretty much never.  They're the Occupy Wall Street of the far right, but thankfully much smaller.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
They're agents provocateurs on the FBI payroll. Their whole mission is twofold: discredit the anti-homosexual position, and provoke people into breaking the law. Hence why they typically target those the American public typically lionizes: military, religious leaders, children, victims of tragedies, and the like. They know the homosexual lobby is notorious for its strong counter-campaigns.

Regardless of whatever Mr. Booker's stance on same-sex marriage is, listening to Westboro is a bad idea, whether you are for or against it.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Liberal_Spy

No, they're as wrong as the extremists on the other end.

I was pretty sure he was joking when I first read his post. I hope he was.

Offline GourmetDan

No, because they would kill homosexuals if they could.  God doesn't hate anyone, and we should be like him.  The Fred Phelps Cult is the very antithesis of what Jesus preached.

No they aren't.  I watched the video of them on the Russell Brand show.

They were more civilized than the host, the audience and the token gays trotted out to oppose them.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline GourmetDan

They're agents provocateurs on the FBI payroll. Their whole mission is twofold: discredit the anti-homosexual position, and provoke people into breaking the law. Hence why they typically target those the American public typically lionizes: military, religious leaders, children, victims of tragedies, and the like. They know the homosexual lobby is notorious for its strong counter-campaigns.

Regardless of whatever Mr. Booker's stance on same-sex marriage is, listening to Westboro is a bad idea, whether you are for or against it.

Yeah maybe they are.  But if you listen to what they actually say instead of how the media portrays them, you might get a different opinion.  I would say that the 'journalists' reporting what they supposedly say are more likely to be the ones on the FBI/CIA/NWO payroll.

This homosexual crap keeps getting shoved down our throats and it's getting really disgusting.

Offline Rapunzel

Yeah maybe they are.  But if you listen to what they actually say instead of how the media portrays them, you might get a different opinion.  I would say that the 'journalists' reporting what they supposedly say are more likely to be the ones on the FBI/CIA/NWO payroll.

This homosexual crap keeps getting shoved down our throats and it's getting really disgusting.

How can you support someone who goes all out to protest a dead soldiers death - just to make an issue that had nothing to do with said soldier.  Or a dead child's funeral - just because.  Sorry.. this suggestion is a non-sequitur.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline GourmetDan

How can you support someone who goes all out to protest a dead soldiers death - just to make an issue that had nothing to do with said soldier.  Or a dead child's funeral - just because.  Sorry.. this suggestion is a non-sequitur.

Did you watch the Russell Brand video?

Offline happyg

We have a heckuva lot more problems than homosexuality. Who is one group of people to tell us homosexuality is the wrath of God? I'm certainly not pro homosexual, but there was more than one commandment given to Moses. I imagine they are all equal in God's eyes. The Westboro crowd might score some points had they given their attention to pedophiles,  or murderers, or the other assortment of sins that plague us? Why pick on dead soldiers and children?

I have seen some of the Westboro cult in interviews and found them nauseating. I would much rather spend my time with a homosexual who has hurt no one, than a minute with those hateful, evil people.

Offline Rapunzel

Did you watch the Russell Brand video?

I have watched other interviews with those people. They are disgusting scum - with all due respect.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline GourmetDan

I have watched other interviews with those people. They are disgusting scum - with all due respect.

Can you at least link to a video where they were being 'disgusting scum'?

Offline happyg

Offline Rapunzel

Thanks, Happy.

Dan I do not care how "nice" they may have played on a program.  You have not answered if you support them targeting military families when they are doing nothing more than burying their son or daughter who was killed in Afghanistan or Iraq.   

Offline happyg

Offline Rapunzel

I'm not impressed.

BTW - Russell Brand was caught snorting cocaine while at a kid's soccer game in NYC filming "Get Him To The Greek"... I am not impressed with him, either.

Offline GourmetDan

Hannity and Colmes were the ones calling her crazy, a nut and an abomination.  They ask her to respond and then talk over her when she responds.  She said nothing like that to them.

Did you listen to what *she* actually said, and not what Hannity and Colmes told you to think about her?

Offline Rapunzel

Hannity and Colmes were the ones calling her crazy, a nut and an abomination.  They ask her to respond and then talk over her when she responds.  She said nothing like that to them.

Did you listen to what *she* actually said, and not what Hannity and Colmes told you to think about her?

I am against Gay Marriage. I am not against gay people.  I have an uncle who is gay and in a very, very long-term relationship. This is between him and God when he meets HIS maker - not for me to judge. 

Offline GourmetDan

Dan I do not care how "nice" they may have played on a program.  You have not answered if you support them targeting military families when they are doing nothing more than burying their son or daughter who was killed in Afghanistan or Iraq.   

I know, nobody does care what they actually say.  They would rather listen to what the commenters tell them to think.

Listen to what Ms Phelps actually *says* in the interview that happyg posted.  If you can hear it over Hannity and Colmes talking over her.