Author Topic: In Flooded Colorado, Immigrants' Livelihoods Washed Away  (Read 1232 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
In Flooded Colorado, Immigrants' Livelihoods Washed Away
« on: October 18, 2013, 08:13:51 am »
Fair warning - the source is NPR. Adjust bias meters accordingly ....

http://www.npr.org/2013/10/18/236236286/in-flooded-colorado-immigrants-livelihoods-washed-away

In flood-ravaged Colorado, much of the recovery has focused on rebuilding roads and bridges to mountain towns cut off by last month's floods. But take a drive east to the state's rolling plains, and a whole new set of staggering problems unfolds in farm country.

Living In Limbo

A woman named Claudia, who doesn't want to use her last name because of her immigration status, is sitting on a couch in the lobby of a shabby hotel in Greeley, about an hour's drive northeast of Denver.

She's come because a friend has been staying here. Both women lost their homes when the flood waters wiped out the mobile home park in the nearby town of Evans.

"Where can we go?" Claudia says in Spanish. "We lost everything in the floods — all of our clothes, everything, from our 10 years living here."

Her husband is trying to keep his construction job. The family has been told that they qualify for FEMA assistance because her youngest daughter was born in the U.S. and is a citizen. But the agency is still processing their application, and she doesn't know if it's been approved.

The rental market here was already tight due to an oil boom. The women say landlords are preying on them, asking them questions like: "Have you received FEMA money? How much did you receive? What is your immigration status?" And the county hasn't returned her calls for help finding an apartment.

These are common stories being told right now across this flooded region, where thousands of immigrants from Mexico and El Salvador have flocked to jobs in the fields and the dairy and meatpacking industries.

"Many of these families that were displaced and taken out of their homes, and currently are homeless, are the workforce of northern Colorado," says Sonia Marquez of the Colorado Immigrant Rights Coalition.

By the coalition's counts, hundreds of immigrant families have lost their homes. Some don't have any family members who are citizens and eligible for aid. Many are turning to private charities like hers, Marquez says. And some churches are trying to raise money to buy families new mobile homes.

But money is tight. Almost everywhere you look around hard-hit towns like Evans, there's a need.

More at link.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rapunzel

Re: In Flooded Colorado, Immigrants' Livelihoods Washed Away
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 08:14:59 am »
NPR is correct.. Colorado is still a mess....
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 08:20:01 am »
How bad is it? It sort of fell out of the news cycle.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 08:23:44 am »
How bad is it? It sort of fell out of the news cycle.

My friend in Colorado told me just this evening that he had seen what happened in SD but said "frankly we are still reeling here from what took place this summer."   

Sadly our media isn't interested in anything that takes place in fly-over country - no matter if the state is red or blue...
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 08:25:11 am »
Dang. Any chance of getting your friend to do a post? If the MSM won't cover it, it is up to us to get the word out.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 09:07:43 am »
Dang. Any chance of getting your friend to do a post? If the MSM won't cover it, it is up to us to get the word out.

Not right now.  He's in his busy season workwise and one if their employees committed suicide last week and another was injured,  plus its hunting season in CO and he has to help out the father in law on the ranch... in between (hunters)  ... I had been trying to get hold of him for  week for a computer question and he only got back to me this evening.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 09:09:52 am by Rapunzel »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 09:13:04 am »
 **nononono*

Work comes first. And my prayers to both employees.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 09:15:32 am »
**nononono*

Work comes first. And my prayers to both employees.

He said it's bad week.. plus his son just got his learners permit... in CO that would give me the chills, too.