Author Topic: Yale Professor 'Embarrassed' to Discover Tea Party Members are Scientifically Literate  (Read 1937 times)

Offline happyg

You know that line liberals love to lob at the Tea Party: you're stupid.  Well, obviously that's not the case, nor has it ever been true.  Now, a Yale professor has released some new research showing that the so-called "Tea Party radicals" are actually scientifically literate.

Professor Dan M. Kahan of the psychology department at Yale  says he was surprised to discover a positive correlation between science comprehension and members of the Tea Party:

"Identifying with the Tea Party correlates positively (r = 0.05, p = 0.05) with scores on the science comprehension measure."

"I've got to confess, though, I found this result surprising. As I pushed the button to run the analysis on my computer, I fully expected I'd be shown a modest negative correlation between identifying with the Tea Party and science comprehension."

"But then again, I don't know a single person who identifies with the Tea Party.  All my impressions come from watching cable tv -- & I don't watch Fox News very often -- and reading the "paper" (New York Times daily, plus a variety of politics-focused internet sites like Huffington Post & Politico)."

"I'm a little embarrassed, but mainly I'm just glad that I no longer hold this particular mistaken view."

"Of course, I still subscribe to my various political and moral assessments--all very negative-- of what I understand the "Tea Party movement" to stand for. I just no longer assume that the people who happen to hold those values are less likely than people who share my political outlooks to have acquired the sorts of knowledge and dispositions that a decent science comprehension scale measures."

Well, perhaps some of those previous opinions could've been dispelled earlier when the New York Times wrote in 2010 that Tea Partiers are more educated - and financially better off - than the rest of the public.
- See more at: http://cnsnews.com/mrctv-blog/matt-vespa/yale-professor-embarrassed-discover-tea-party-members-are-scientifically#sthash.DZj9sN6k.dpuf

Offline Olivia

For crying out loud, how dumb and egotistical can you be?  :shrug:
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline Rapunzel

"Yale" and "Professor"........... very egotistical.   Look at how liberal Barbara Bush is after attending Yale.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

From all the evidence I've seen lately, dumber and more egotistical that you can imagine!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline happyg

I'm waiting on the professor to figure out how stupid he is. Unfortunately, stupid people don't know they are stupid.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

I read this this morning, and it was interesting.  The author found that "conservatives" didn't follow the science well at all, but the "tea partiers" did. 

Offline Rapunzel

I read this this morning, and it was interesting.  The author found that "conservatives" didn't follow the science well at all, but the "tea partiers" did.

I heard this week only 22% of Tea Partiers are Republicans. 
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline musiclady

I'm waiting on the professor to figure out how stupid he is. Unfortunately, stupid people don't know they are stupid.

He'll never figure it out,  because, like a true liberal, he gave the answers before he heard the questions.

And now that he's found out his answers were wrong, he's gone back to pretending he has all the answers, which he never had in the first place.

Get it??

You have to think like a pretzel to understand liberals.

Especially professors.  :whistle:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Olivia

Just who are the tea partiers?  How can you tell the difference in a tea partier and a conservative?  :pondering:
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline aligncare

What a condescending twit. Do you suppose he ran numbers correlating scientific knowledge to your basic inner city dumbass democrat voter? My guess is, no.

Offline musiclady

What a condescending twit. Do you suppose he ran numbers correlating scientific knowledge to your basic inner city dumbass democrat voter? My guess is, no.

I'm sure the 'research' was done to prove how stupid Tea Partiers are, and the results were kind of an oops!

Just like when they compared conservatives to leftists and found out how much more generous conservatives were.

OR when they did research and found out that Republican women had better sex lives.....    :smokin:

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
He'll never figure it out,  because, like a true liberal, he gave the answers before he heard the questions.

And now that he's found out his answers were wrong, he's gone back to pretending he has all the answers, which he never had in the first place.

Get it??

You have to think like a pretzel to understand liberals.

Especially professors.  :whistle:

As you well know, most of these people know a lot about a very small part of a very big world and what they know is ALL theoretical since most of them have never been near a rel world application of anything!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Yale is the most inbreed school.  Nearly all of their professors are their own graduates.

Most universities will rarely hire their own graduates unless they've earned some degrees elsewhere.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline aligncare

Interesting. I didn't know that about Yale.

Offline musiclady

As you well know, most of these people know a lot about a very small part of a very big world and what they know is ALL theoretical since most of them have never been near a rel world application of anything!

Indeed.  Big fish in very small ponds.

They have no idea how the real world works, and their raison d'etre is to make fun of everyone who actually does.