Author Topic: GOP’s McConnell promises no more shutdowns over ObamaCare  (Read 1482 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP’s McConnell promises no more shutdowns over ObamaCare
« on: October 17, 2013, 07:24:23 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/329145-leader-mcconnell-no-more-shutdowns-over-obamacare

GOP’s McConnell promises no more shutdowns over ObamaCare
By Alexander Bolton - 10/17/13 02:23 PM ET

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell says he will not allow another government shutdown as part of a strategy to repeal ObamaCare.

McConnell (Ky.) told The Hill in an interview Thursday afternoon that his party learned a painful political lesson over the past 16 days, as its approval rating dropped while the government was shuttered.

He said there’s no reason to go through the political wringer again in January, when the stopgap Congress passed late Wednesday expires.

“One of my favorite old Kentucky sayings is there’s no education in the second kick of a mule. The first kick of a mule was when we shut the government down in the mid 1990s and the second kick was over the last 16 days,” he said. “There is no education in the second kick of a mule. There will not be a government shutdown.

“I think we have fully now acquainted our new members with what a losing strategy that is,” he added.

McConnell said that even though he and many other Republicans “hate, detest and despise ObamaCare,” they are not going to be able to repeal it unilaterally while Democrats control the White House and the Senate.

He said repeal in the short term is unlikely “unless Democrats get so shaky about parts of it.”

He noted many Democrats want to repeal the healthcare law’s medical device tax.

McConnell said the best chance of reforming ObamaCare before 2017 will come if Democratic support for the controversial law erodes dramatically.

“They may, depending upon the amount of heat they get from their constituents because of rising premiums, because of job loss, because of the chaos of the exchanges, they may be open to changes,” he said.

He said Republicans would be willing to pick the system apart if Democrats are also willing.

“But full-scale repeal is obviously something that’s not going to be achievable until I’m the majority leader of the Senate and we have a new president,” he said.

McConnell said the deal he inked with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) Wednesday to open the government and raise the ceiling was the best that could be achieved given the GOP’s weak political position.

He compared it to a punt in football, giving Republicans a chance to resume the battle from a better position next year.

“By the time I came in yesterday it was clear to me that it was up to me to get us out of the government shutdown and make sure we didn’t default,” he said of his decision to take over the negotiations, when it became apparent the House could not pass legislation that could also pass the Senate.

McConnell told his colleagues in a private meeting that they needed to escape a precarious political situation to push for spending and entitlement program reforms next year, when they will be in a position of greater strength.

“So I met with my members. I said, ‘Look, I think we all know I have a weak hand here,’ ” McConnell said. “I’m on my own two-yard line. The offensive line is a little shaky, and what best I think we can do is get off a punt here to try to get into a better field position.”

McConnell told fellow Republican senators that he would not allow the deal to cross two important red lines: it would not raise taxes and it would not undermine the spending reforms achieved under the 2011 Budget Control Act (BCA).

Senate Democrats over the weekend proposed raising the spending levels in the government stopgap to begin unwinding the automatic spending cuts known as sequestration, according to Republicans. Reid on Sunday denied that he tried to break the caps set by the 2011 budget law.

“We need to try to defend against tax increases and defend the BCA,” McConnell told the Senate Republican Conference.

McConnell said “that’s all about I could achieve back on my own two-yard line.”

“We didn’t raise taxes and we didn’t bust the caps, but we’ll be back at in January and February, which is why I call it a punt, with better field position to fight again another day,” he said. 

Congress has raised the debt limit until Feb. 7, but experts say the Treasury Department could invoke extraordinary measures to delay another battle over it until March or beyond.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: GOP’s McConnell promises no more shutdowns over ObamaCare
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 07:30:35 pm »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 07:37:59 pm »
“There is no education in the second kick of a mule. There will not be a government shutdown.

“I think we have fully now acquainted our new members with what a losing strategy that is,” he added.

Ted Cruz's hubris came crashing to earth yesterday.  He's every bit as narcissistic as Obama. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 08:27:21 pm »
Mr. McConnell does not make that decision, nor does he speak for the House caucus.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 08:28:37 pm »
Ted Cruz's hubris came crashing to earth yesterday.  He's every bit as narcissistic as Obama.

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 08:31:03 pm »
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned. When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him...for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."

Mark Twain

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online andy58-in-nh

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 08:46:36 pm »
Yet Obama has won elections-- one most undeservedly. Sometimes, you have to fight fire with fire.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 08:47:01 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024