Author Topic: Changing demographics influencing taste buds; salsa beats ketchup!  (Read 1837 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Changing demographics influencing taste buds;salsa beats ketchup!

MIAMI -

Salsa overtaking ketchup as America's No. 1 condiment was just the start.

These days, tortillas outsell burger and hot dog buns; sales of tortilla chips trump potato chips; and tacos and burritos have become so ubiquitously "American," most people don't even consider them ethnic.

Welcome to the taste of American food in 2013.

As immigrant and minority populations rewrite American demographics, the nation's collective menu is reflecting this flux, as it always has. And it goes beyond the mainstreaming of once-esoteric ethnic ingredients, something we've seen with everything from soy sauce to jalapenos.

Read more: http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/23718477/changing-demographics-influencing-taste-buds

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Changing demographics influencing taste buds; salsa beats ketchup!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 06:31:04 pm »
Not exaggerating....there are entire zip codes just 5-10 minutes outside the Capital Beltway...hell, even straddling the Beltway, that you'd be hard pressed to be able to point out a dozen Caucasians on the streets or in the stores.

These zip codes were primarily "white" only 15 years ago.

IMO, there's got to be at least a million of Hispanic illegals living around Washington, DC.  Easy million.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 07:09:47 pm »
Salsa should beat ketchup.

Salsa is wonderful, rich, unique and subtly flavored. Ketchup is sweet red gunge.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline olde north church

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 07:24:13 pm »
Mustard-->Picante-->Ketchup-->Salsa
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 07:37:32 pm »
Swap ketchup and salsa and put horseradish first and we agree.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 07:37:51 pm by EC »

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 07:54:12 pm »
Swap ketchup and salsa and put horseradish first and we agree.

Mine was personal preference on variety of foods.  I did forget horseradish, which has been known to kick ass and/or take names.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 07:54:50 pm by olde north church »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 08:04:52 pm »
How can you forget horseradish? Or piccalilli for that matter?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 08:06:17 pm by EC »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 08:09:56 pm »
When I moved from California to DC in 1972, my husband told me bring flour tortilla's, bring salsa, bring refried beans... no one here knows what they are!  I took them in my suitcase.  They were just getting avocado's in the grocery stores back there and a I'll never forget one of our friends telling me she bought an avocado to "cook" for dinner and she boiled it and boiled it and it just didn't "get done."  I had a great laugh as I explained it is a fruit and has to ripen.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 08:18:52 pm »
How can you forget horseradish? Or piccalilli for that matter?

Bless me Father ...

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 08:23:41 pm »
Bless me Father ...

That is a serious sin, my son  :laugh:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 08:50:29 pm »
Chipotle es bueno !!
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 09:06:12 pm »
When I moved from California to DC in 1972, my husband told me bring flour tortilla's, bring salsa, bring refried beans... no one here knows what they are!  I took them in my suitcase.  They were just getting avocado's in the grocery stores back there and a I'll never forget one of our friends telling me she bought an avocado to "cook" for dinner and she boiled it and boiled it and it just didn't "get done."  I had a great laugh as I explained it is a fruit and has to ripen.

I think salsa has been the #1 condiment in American for a lot of years now, although I'll still take ketchup with fries anyday.  I live on the east coast, and am amazed at how much taste buds have changed here since the '60's, with people much more open to spicy hot food then back in the day.  I remember watching Newlywed Game in the mid 60's, (I grew up in northern NJ) and there was some question on the show about a favorite snack.  Someone mentioned "taco" and I thought "what in the world is a taco?" 

I remember the first time I heard of an avocado, I was in junior high and someone had to explain it to me.  Remember that fad of growing avocado plants from the seeds?  THAT was my only exposure to avocados.

I remember my former husband (born and raised in rural west Texas) didn't know what "pizza pie" was--listening to that old Dean Martin song "when the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie" he thought he was singing "piece of pie" and wondering how THAT made sense??   :laugh:   

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 09:10:08 pm »
Yes, I remember growing avocado seeds.  Actually George had such a green thumb he actually got a couple of trees going from seeds.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 10:55:26 pm »
I've never been a ketchup fan, but love salsa.

And I'm as much of a WASP as one can be.  Of course in Texas, if you don't like salsa, then there is something wrong with you, or you're a Yankee.  Wait, that is pretty much the same thing.  :tongue2:
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 05:59:58 am »
I grew up literally surrounded by orange, lemon and avocado orchards. The pickers came each season. They occasionally burned the smudge pots, to fight frost.

Now far at all, from the Nixon family's origins. Between my wife and I, our childhood homes included Whittier, La Habra, Brea, Fullerton, Placentia and Yorba Linda.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln