Author Topic: Company fires employee for not getting stabbed to death  (Read 738 times)

rangerrebew

Company fires employee for not getting stabbed to death
« on: October 17, 2013, 11:44:51 am »
Company Fires Employee For Not Getting Stabbed To Death

Posted By Philip Hodges on Oct 17, 2013 | 0 Comments

We’ve seen this story about a million times. This particular incident took place in Nashua, New Hampshire.

Twenty-nine-year-old Shannon Cothran had worked at the Shell gas station there for 10 years and had a concealed carry permit since he was 21. He decided that even though he was appreciative of the Nashua Police, given an uptick in crime in his area, the best course of action for him to take was to arm himself. So, he had kept a compact handgun by his side for the past two years. A .380 Ruger.

One night recently, it came in handy. A masked robber came in the store wielding a knife and demanding all the money:

Cothran, 29, said he had just finished helping another customer when the would-be robber entered the store, walked behind the counter and threatened his life. “He had the knife cocked back. It looked like he was going to stab me,” Cothran said. “I took several steps back, produced my sidearm, and informed him it was a bad idea and he didn’t want to do it, and he left.”

And that was the end of that. No one got hurt. No cash was stolen. The only thing now they’re trying to do is catch the guy.

Cothran’s life may have been spared thanks to his Ruger, but he had to lose his job:

After the incident, Cothran was asked to file a report with his employer, Nouria Energy, which owns and operates the [Shell] gas station. He said the store manager and a district manager lobbied to save his job, but Cothran was terminated only a few hours later.

Come on, where’s the common sense? He could have been dead. Would Nouria and Shell really prefer that their employees die rather than protect themselves with a gun? Would have they been apathetic if Cothran had become the armed robber’s murder victim?

Apparently, Cothran’s got a baby on the way. Maybe if he had died because he wasn’t allowed to carry his concealed weapon, Shell and Nouria would have issued some canned apology to his family. Perhaps something along these lines:

“We’re truly sorry that you have lost a loved one to knife violence, but at least he didn’t put up a fight, because that would have been a violation of our non-confrontation policy. If he had managed to defend himself successfully, he’d be alive today, but he’d also be out of a job, because we’d fire him.”

They don’t seem to care about their employees, evidenced by their no-tolerance-for-common-sense polices. They view their workers as entirely expendable. In this economy, it’ll be easy to find someone to replace Cothran. I just wish people would refuse to work for them.

Read more at http://lastresistance.com/3393/company-fires-employee-getting-stabbed-death/#WCMDSl0MyyTQzUIQ.99