Author Topic: Aetna CEO: Don’t Get Your Hopes Up for a Quick Fix to Obamacare  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Rapunzel

http://www.redstate.com/2013/10/16/dont-get-your-hopes-up-for-a-quick-fix-to-obamacare/

Aetna CEO: Don’t Get Your Hopes Up for a Quick Fix to Obamacare

By: Jake (Diary)  |  October 16th, 2013 at 11:00 AM 

The various glitches and bugs (some might say features) that have popped up in the Obamacare rollout have been well enough documented that I shouldn’t have to run through them here. Most people, however, don’t understand the extent of the issues or just how long it could take to fix them. CEO  Mark Bertolini of insurance company Aetna is probably one of the few people who does, as his company was one of those involved in the alpha testing of the website. On Monday, he appeared on CNBC’s Squawk Box to give his assessment of the debacle. It is, to put it mildly, not reassuring:

The description Bertolini gives of the construction of the website should make it obvious that these marketplaces were a disaster waiting to happen. There are two things that particularly strike me as troubling from this interview. First of all, as he notes, the testing of this kind of application usually takes longer than its development, but everything Aetna did to test it was done “on the fly”. For Obama’s signature achievement, it does not appear that the government put much thought into the development of its most crucial part.

The second particularly troubling part for me was his assessment of the time it will take to fix these problems. You should be skeptical, to say the least, of anyone who promises that these are just a few minor problems that will take a month or two to fix. According to Bertolini, who has a subtantial amount of experience in these things, the timeframe we are looking at is about three years before we can sort the multitude of problems surrounding this website.

…Which will coincidentally be around the time Obama leaves office.

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Aetna CEO: Don’t Get Your Hopes Up for a Quick Fix to Obamacare
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 05:20:48 am »
It was designed to fail and the quicker the better. That way they can move directly to single payer (government) insurance which is what they wanted to begin with
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

famousdayandyear

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 07:21:01 am »
It was designed to fail and the quicker the better. That way they can move directly to single payer (government) insurance which is what they wanted to begin with

Stupid question:  Is single-payer some kind of Val Jarrett done deal?  Or can it be defeated?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 07:35:31 am »
I'd also like to know more about single payer. Is it like the NHS? If so - run and keep running.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

famousdayandyear

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 07:45:07 am »
I'd also like to know more about single payer. Is it like the NHS? If so - run and keep running.

I dont think anybody knows except Val Jarrett and her handlers.  That's the freakin spooky part.  The elephant in the Oval Office nobody dare speak about--at the present time.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 08:04:08 am »
Our system - if you work and are over 16, 9% of your gross income, regardless of your earning level, is skimmed off to pay for the NHS, benefits and pensions. Then you get taxed on the rest, above your personal tax allowance. My tax code, for example, is 635L, so the first £6350 I earn - after social security grabs it's 9% - is tax free. Not sure what the L stands for. Wife has an H after hers.

What burns me is the NHS has the potential to be both inexpensive (bulk buy cost savings and no layer of insurance companies looking to make a profit) and very efficient - yet it is a horrible maze of waste and incompetence and empire building by managers. We do have an equivalent of co-pay for prescriptions. If you are not registered as disabled or unemployed or a pensioner, you pay £6 a time for prescriptions and half the cost of glasses and dental procedures.

That is our system. Ms. Jarret is fond of it and has spoken well of it in the past, so it may be what you are heading towards.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink