Author Topic: Booker wins NJ Senate seat  (Read 3171 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Booker wins NJ Senate seat
« on: October 17, 2013, 01:41:01 am »
just breaking....was there any doubt

http://www.northjersey.com/news/Democrat_Cory_Booker_wins_special_US_Senate_election_over_Lonegan.html

Democrat Cory Booker wins special Senate election over Lonegan
Wednesday, October 16, 2013    Last updated: Wednesday October 16, 2013, 10:00 PM
BY  MELISSA HAYES
STATE HOUSE BUREAU
The Record

New Jersey's social media-happy incoming senator has given his first reaction to his election victory with a tweet.

Cory Booker says, "Thank you so much, New Jersey. I'm proud to be your Senator-elect."

With two-thirds percent of precincts reporting, the Democratic mayor of Newark has 56 percent of the vote to Republican Steve Lonegan's 43 percent to serve out the remainder of the late Frank Lautenberg’s term.

Although the race was close early on, Democrats were quick to declare Booker the winner. Only 40 minutes after polls closed at 8 p.m., the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee was declaring victory. A short time later, state Sen. Barbara Buono, who is running against Governor Christie in the Nov. 5 election, offered her congratulations to Booker.

Several North Jersey residents said the federal government shutdown was a factor in their vote Wednesday. Lonegan supported the shutdown, which was led by a faction of his party that wanted to remove funding from the spending bill for President Obama’s healthcare overhaul. Booker has chastised the partisan gridlock in Washington, D.C. saying if elected he would work with members of both parties.

Booker has built a national following for his consensus-building and his personal story. He was a suburbanite who went to Stanford and Yale Law before moving into a tough Newark neighborhood promising to do good before he ran for office. He's also been a pioneering politician on Twitter.

Lonegan is a conservative former mayor of the town of Bogota. He dismissed Booker as more connected to Hollywood and the Silicon Valley than New Jersey.

Booker was elected to complete the 15 months remaining on Lautenberg's term, whose death in June at age 89 gave rise to an unusual and abbreviated campaign. If he wants to keep the seat for a full six-year term — and all indications are that he does — Booker will be on the ballot again in November 2014.

Gov. Chris Christie, a Republican with a national following of his own, appointed his attorney general, Jeffrey Chiesa, to the Senate temporarily and scheduled a special election for a Wednesday just 20 days before Christie himself is on the ballot seeking re-election. Christie said he wanted to give voters a say as soon as legally possible.

Democrats challenged the timing, saying Christie was afraid of appearing on the same ballot as the popular Booker. But courts upheld the governor's election schedule.

Booker had a running start on the election. Before Lautenberg died, Booker passed up a chance to run against Christie this year, saying he was eyeing Lautenberg's seat in 2014, in part so he could complete a full term as mayor — something he won't do now that he's heading to Washington.

He won an August primary against an experienced Democratic field including two members of Congress and the speaker of the state Assembly in a campaign that was largely about ideas.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 02:03:13 am by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Booker wins NJ Senate seat
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 01:47:35 am »
No doubt, especially when we started receiving reports of names totally missing on GOP voter rolls and people saying they were told someone else had already voted in their name.  Chris Christie must be soooooooooooo proud.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 01:49:28 am »
No doubt, especially when we started receiving reports of names totally missing on GOP voter rolls and people saying they were told someone else had already voted in their name.  Chris Christie must be soooooooooooo proud.

Hannity was reporting all the irregularities on his radio show today....typical Dem tactics.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 03:28:10 am »
Well, guess it don' matter now whether Cory lives in Newark or not...

He won' be livun' there no mo'!

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 03:29:15 am »
So how long before he get indicted on corruption charges?

Not that it will matter since he's a black Democrat.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 03:42:14 am »
@DanRiehl 1h

Upside for Booker, he won't have to make up compelling stories about himself, now. The DC media will do it for him.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 12:25:10 pm »
Booker's victory places the so-called 'antics' of Chris Christie into better focus....doncha think?   :whistle:

Thinking maybe he should drop the handshake and tongue kiss Barack Obama next time the opportunity presents itself.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 12:35:00 pm »

Booker gets 56 percent and Christie gets 66 percent from the same electorate.  Ain't democracy fun?

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 12:37:17 pm »
Yup, and Booker will be in the Senate 'til he's Frank Lautenberg's age.  He'll have a year to become safely ensconsed, then he'll be re-elected in 2014, no sweat.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 12:48:35 pm by Lipstick on a Hillary »

Offline olde north church

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 02:51:11 pm »
There are some bright spots among the ruins and I know it's a Democrat thing to look at moral victories but:

Lonegan did do relatively well considering the demographics of NJ and the celebrity and Washington support Booger received.
Lonegan did well considering the shutdown was still in effect.  Based upon media reports, GOP were gone for good.
Lonegan did quite well in a Deep blue state while being attacked as a Tea partier and "too extreme".

Just a few thoughts.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 11:28:34 pm »
You know I could see New Jersey from my backyard. It looks a lot like Russia.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 11:34:26 pm »
Truth be told, I've not followed this.  But, couldn't Gov. Christie has appointed (a Republican) to the seat???

Or am I wrong?

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 11:35:39 pm »
Truth be told, I've not followed this.  But, couldn't Gov. Christie has appointed (a Republican) to the seat???

Or am I wrong?

IIRC, he did, but that person didn't run.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 11:36:39 pm »

Or am I wrong?

He put in a placeholder who proceeded to vote with the Democrats in the Senate.

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 11:37:08 pm »
IIRC, he did, but that person didn't run.

No ... couldn't he have appointed someone ... w/o an election?  Or have I got that wrong?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 11:37:56 pm »
No ... couldn't he have appointed someone ... w/o an election?  Or have I got that wrong?

Old North Church can answer it for us...... but I think he had to call a special election to finish out the term.

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 11:39:36 pm »
Old North Church can answer it for us...... but I think he had to call a special election to finish out the term.

Damn.  I thought that was one of the perks of having a Republican (?) Governor.   :shrug:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 11:41:33 pm »
Damn.  I thought that was one of the perks of having a Republican (?) Governor.   :shrug:

Is Christie a Republican?..LOL
Support the USO

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 11:43:38 pm »

Not if he is Chris Christie.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 11:46:58 pm »
While going for a walk this afternoon I listened to Mark Levin who pointed out some interesting facts about this election. Note: I am just recalling what  Mark said so I provide no documentation.

(1) Lonegan received absolutely no support from the RNC. Priebus visited NJ about 12 hours before the vote and that was about it. Just by coincidence Lonegan was a Conservative and a Tea Party supporter.

(2) Booker won the election by 10 points. A rather decisive victory until one considers Obama beat Romney in NJ by 18 points and Menendez beat some moderate Republican nobody by almost the same amount (16 points, IIRC).

So in other words a supporter of the despised Tea Party who had no national assistance from his own Party saw the amount of victory of a reportedly very popular Dem in a very blue state cut by nearly a half compared to the moderate Presidential candidate of his Party just 2 years ago.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 11:49:20 pm »
We have to face it, the RNC and the RNSC does not want a conservative in the senate.  They hate that they have two there now.  This man could have won.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 11:52:28 pm »
It depends on the state.  In some, the governor appoints a replacement who is there until the next regularly scheduled election such as the upcoming congressional elections next year.

Other states appoint someone and then have to schedule an election within so many days of the seat becoming vacant.  Some even require the temporary replacement to be from the same party as the individual who vacated the now empty seat.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 11:54:17 pm »
It depends on the state.  In some, the governor appoints a replacement who is there until the next regularly scheduled election such as the upcoming congressional elections next year.

Other states appoint someone and then have to schedule an election within so many days of the seat becoming vacant.  Some even require the temporary replacement to be from the same party as the individual who vacated the now empty seat.

I was driving up to Lake Powell in June when Christie announced the fill in and people were aghast at what he did... they said that day he could have done some real good for the GOP with his fill in and instead gave the shiv to conservatives and the GOP.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 11:55:53 pm »
We have to face it, the RNC and the RNSC does not want a conservative in the senate

That was pretty much the conclusion Mark has come to, btw.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2013, 12:35:08 am »
We have to face it, the RNC and the RNSC does not want a conservative in the senate.  They hate that they have two there now.  This man could have won.

:thumbsup: